• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 novacat14

novacat14

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 06:12 AM

I had a few questions, i was reading around on the forum and have seen a few things that i do not understand. I wanted to know what a "comet" is. and also how to make pill box stars, i have no idea what a pill box star is as well. I do know that it is attached to the fuse, at least i think it is.

Also would like to know what are some good solvents for plastic 3" shells.

Many thanks,

Joe

#2 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 06:32 AM

A comet is an oversized star thats fired from a mortar tube. Here's a link on how to make one, should give you a better idea of what it is

http://www.freepgs.c...knix/comets.htm

A pill box star is a pumped star with a fuse going through the centre. Here's a link to a huge glossary of pyrotechnic terms, it also has a little picture of what a pill box star looks like too

http://homepages.ent...th/fw/glos2.htm

I cant say much for plastic shell solvents as I have never used them but from what I have seen, Toluene, Xylene, Acetone and Dichloro Methane are popular solvents. I think Methyl Ethyl Ketone can also be used. There is a thread about this on the forum anyway

http://www.ukrocketr...p?showtopic=845

Stuart

Edited by Stuart, 02 August 2004 - 06:33 AM.

#3 novacat14

novacat14

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 08:50 PM

thanks alot for the help i think i understand now!

#4 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 05:40 PM

Acetone will be no good for poly shell hemi's. If you go to a car paint shop, or somewhere similar, get some 'cellulose thinners' which contains Xylene and Tolulene. That will do the trick nicely.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#5 Loci

Loci

Time Lord

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:36 PM

Got a couple of questions here aswell, I know that you should never ball mill colour comps, however would it be ok if you didnt use any media and jsut had lifting veins for thourghly mixing it, kinda like a cement mixer?

The other question is, what effect would you get if you just filled a shell (canister or ball shell) with a colour comp and a break charge? No stars, just the powder?

Fraser
"There are always alternatives. "
"If your Aunty had balls.... She'd be your Uncle!"

#6 Osiris

Osiris

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:10 AM

Hi I am relatively new to the art of pyrotechnics. I have been trying to find resources so that I could go about learning in a way to not lose fingers. But when I search I either get how to make homemade high explosives and unstable comps. Otherwise I get sites that have some info but not very much. What would anyone suggest what to search for projects that are not some jimmy rigged idea. Or even a site that would point me in the right direction since a lot of sites I find are really outdated so most of their links don?t work and I am not sure of their info.

Thanks Alot
Osiris

#7 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:15 AM

Osiris, Welcome to the forum.

First thing first, the forum Contain a HUGE amount of information for beginners including resources, links and book suggestions. Use the search forum in order to find those. Look for words such as ?beginners?, ?projects?, ?BP?, ?quickmatch?, ?ballmill?.

All those will supply you with good info. Make sure that you search the forum for more then the last 90 days (which is the default option).

The other point to be made (as always :), is that we try NOT to open duplicate threads here. There are a few forums to deal with beginner?s questions. I have merged your question with one of the existing threads. Please make sure you search for the right thread and post in it rather then open a new thread.

BigG

#8 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:17 AM

www.passfire.com - Whilst many of the projects are probably beyond beginners, there is more than enough high quality basic info to make a subscribtion worthwhile, and it's great reading.

http://www.skylighte.../mall/books.asp has a very complete stock of pyrotechnic literature. Look about 1/3 of the way down the page for "Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics" by Tom Perigrin. This is the book for beginners, and will get started in firework making safely.

If you search the forum you will also find links to several other good sites, including forum members' own sites. There is also plenty of good info on the forum, too, but obviously there is some incorrect stuff here as well, so don't take anything at face value. However, no website that I am aware of will have the same level of clear, safe instructions for beginners as IPP.

Edited by Phoenix, 14 August 2004 - 10:20 AM.

#9 Osiris

Osiris

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 12:08 PM

Yea I have seen the intro book before. Also right now I am pretty much broke which would you recommend the book by Tom or the passfire account since both are about the same price and both seem to have a fair amount of beginners stuff.

#10 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 03:45 PM

Yea I have seen the intro book before. Also right now I am pretty much broke which would you recommend the book by Tom or the passfire account since both are about the same price and both seem to have a fair amount of beginners stuff.

View Post

I would honestly recomend IPP by Tom Perigrin because it is based more around beginner projects and emphasizes safety a bit more then Passfire. Though in IPP it does not explain on how to build a ball mill while in Passfire it does. I find it to be a rather tough decision though I would go with IPP. Passfire, from the articles I have read so far, do have safety precautions and the such but require that you already have the basic safety precautions known already. The basic safety precautions are explained in IPP which is why I would recomend it.

#11 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 12:30 PM

I'd go with IPP, as that is written specifically for a beginner with no previous experience of firework making, wheras Passfire articles usually assume some knowledge of terms and procedures that a beginner may not have, and are written more for the established firework maker.

#12 Hary12

Hary12

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:23 AM

Got a couple of questions here aswell, I know that you should never ball mill colour comps, however would it be ok if you didnt use any media and jsut had lifting veins for thourghly mixing it, kinda like a cement mixer?

The other question is, what effect would you get if you just filled a shell (canister or ball shell) with a colour comp and a break charge? No stars, just the powder?

Fraser

View Post

Well, i think if the break works as it supposed to then the comp powder will just be thrown into the air, so just a bang i guess or if you were using something slower as break then you might end up with an aeiral fireball maybe.

But thats just my opinion. :D

#13 blueflame

blueflame

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:14 PM

i was hoping to be able to get this book
Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics By Tom Perigrin
from a uk outlet but im having a spot of bother getting it , has any one had any success buying this book in britain in a shop or do i have to buy this online from a american establishment plus shipping.

Edited by blueflame, 21 October 2004 - 06:16 PM.

#14 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:06 PM

from a uk outlet but im having a spot of bother getting it , has any one had any success buying this book in britain in a shop or do i have to buy this online from a american establishment plus shipping.

View Post

A spot of bother? The book is published by Skylighter - they don't exactly distribute it, but are the sole seller. If you buy it in the UK then it will be used only - otherwise, Skylighter is almost your only option - but they are good and reliable source, so I really don't see the issue.

Books are indespensable - and it does not matter how much internet matrial you will find. buy as much as you can.

#15 chemicalwazi

chemicalwazi

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:42 AM

View Post

I brought this book from Skylighter. It is worth every penny. It takes you through basic projects, right through to advanced. What you learn from the first project you take on to the next, and there are plenty of formulas for all aspects.

As BigG said "indespensable" :D
"The Saltpeter is the Soule, the Sulphur the Life, and the Coales the Body of it"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users