• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 Demented Ferret

Demented Ferret

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 10:28 PM

Infact - Here's 2 pics of Thermite set off with BP (bah, I wish I kept the ones actually showing the BP on top.):

http://www.atomic-to...DSCF0003646.JPG
http://www.atomic-to...ed/DSCF0002.JPG

(Before any comments, we had buckets of sand ready [even though pretty much everything was under control] and we owned the property, so no safety reports)

#17 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 02:57 PM

Green mix is in some ways a better prime for stars than fast BP, as the slag it produces helps with ignition, (though fast meal is meant to help ignite the whole surface of the star evenly - important for colour changers) so if good BP will light thermite, then crappy BP probably will also. Having said that, I've never used thermite, so am very willing to be corrected.

#18 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 05:01 PM

Then Demented Ferret, please just tell me, what Al type you used for that thermite!

And then please film a batch of Fe3O4 with coarse Al in it which you ignite with blackpowder :)

Edited by paul, 10 October 2004 - 05:02 PM.

#19 Demented Ferret

Demented Ferret

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:37 PM

I'm fully aware of how Courser Al Thermite is harder to ignite. However, I didn't say anything about how course things are, did I? Aluminum + Red Iron Oxide is Thermite, it doesn't matter if you have two giant spheres of the chemicals and 'whack' them together, its still a Thermite reaction. Anyway, I was explaining it as a primer, not as 'the best possible aesthetic Thermite Reaction'.

In either case, you just level things:

BP
----------------------
Thermite w/ Fine AL
----------------------
Thermite w/ Course AL
-----------------------

Simple.

#20 Nitrate lightning

Nitrate lightning

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 07:30 AM

Whilst on Rec.pyrotechnics I found some info on copper oxide thermite. The guy said it could be used as rocket fuel for nozzless rockets. I thought that it gave no gas off though.

I still decided to give it a go:

Posted Image

Results were extremmely impressive :D , Rocket flew up faster and higher then anything I have ever made. Id say it was even more impessive then whistle mix.

I hope to upload a video tonight

#21 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:10 AM

What kind of Aluminium did you use?

Any binder, or just rammed into the tube?

Dimensions?

#22 Nitrate lightning

Nitrate lightning

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 11:23 AM

What kind of Aluminium did you use?

Any binder, or just rammed into the tube?

Dimensions?

View Post

Fine aluminium (from KNO3.com auction), No binder just rammed, 6mm thick, 45mm length

#23 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 12:35 PM

And the thermite composition?

I'll have to give that a go.

#24 KingVinny

KingVinny

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:12 PM

I just attempted a copper oxide thermite rocket about 5 mintues ago. I used a 4:1 copper oxide to Aluminium mix and a sugar chlorate mix to initiate it. I lit the fuse stood far back and waited for lift off but it went cato. :o It exploded with a massive report and through burning copper over 5 metres up in the air. Was extremely impressive wish I had some tapes for my camera as I would have been able to film it.

What ratio of copper oxide to Aluminium did you use? What did you use as a casing for the rocket? I used bronzing Al for the thermite, would finer Al be better for use in a rocket?
Go hard and play safe!!!

#25 Nitrate lightning

Nitrate lightning

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:23 PM

If the copper oxide isnt rammned it will blow up! My casing was just made up on the spot with a bit of normal paper and some masking tape. Im afraid I dont know the mesh of my Al!

I am now going to make a rocket. So hopefully within in hours time I will have a nice vid.

#26 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:34 PM

I just attempted a copper oxide thermite rocket about 5 mintues ago.  I used a 4:1 copper oxide to Aluminium mix and a sugar chlorate mix to initiate it.  I lit the fuse stood far back and waited for lift off but it went cato.  :o  It exploded with a massive report and through burning copper over 5 metres up in the air.  Was extremely impressive wish I had some tapes for my camera as I would have been able to film it.

What ratio of copper oxide to Aluminium did you use?  What did you use as a casing for the rocket?  I used bronzing Al for the thermite, would finer Al be better for use in a rocket?

View Post

Let me run this again. You used oxide with chlorate, with fine aluminium all in the same mix?!?! What part of this does not screem NO to you?

Please explore something less suicidel, and I will remove pictures of such mixtures going off.

#27 KingVinny

KingVinny

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:44 PM

The chlorate wasn't in contact with the thermite mix it was wrapped up in several layers of tissue and then inserted into the rocket with a fuse leading into the tissue, not actually mixed into the thermite. My Al is not that fine I think its around 400mesh atomized. Well I won't use a chlorate mix next time I'll probably try using another easier to light thermite. I did ram the mixture pretty well not sure why it went cato.
Go hard and play safe!!!

#28 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:49 PM

The chlorate wasn't in contact with the thermite mix it was wrapped up in several layers of tissue and then inserted into the rocket with a fuse leading into the tissue, not actually mixed into the thermite.  My Al is not that fine I think its around 400mesh atomized.  Well I won't use a chlorate mix next time I'll probably try using another easier to light thermite.  I did ram the mixture pretty well not sure why it went cato.

View Post

Does not matter. You don't ignite thermite with chlorate based compositions. Better off with 40:1 bp to aluminium or use some hot slug maker like a perchlorate based composition with silicon.

400mesh aluminium is FINE.

Rockets based on thermite or whistle need to be compressed with a few tons of press - and I mean pressed, not rammed.

I read through this thread a couple of times now - will decide what need to be modified. I don't mind people talking experamental firework making, but the ground salutes and pictures are out of line.

#29 KingVinny

KingVinny

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 09:02 PM

Ok BigG thanks for the information. Sorry I did not realise what I was doing was really stupid, I'm learning all the time. I only rammed it as that was what was described in this thread. I have a decent clamp though so I will be able to properly press it next time. I will use a different intiating mix as well.
As always your help is greatly appreciated.
Go hard and play safe!!!

#30 Nitrate lightning

Nitrate lightning

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 09:22 PM

I just tested my rocket using copper oxide and magnesium as an igniter, it failed to ignite :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users