• 689 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 05:49 PM

Would 50 micron Al be fine for Fe Thermite.,

And any good way to ignite it.
I read somewhere that
50% KNO3
30% Al
20% S
is for igniting thermite. But it hardly burns.

Any other comps to ignite the thermite with.

#47 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 07:14 PM

Not really, KMNo4 + Mg flash compared to say some gold star mix with lampblack charcoal sulphur and kno3.No extra chance of getting hurt is there on the second one?

View Post

Interesting Opinion, Thank you for Thinking about it and your sumation of the Question/opinion I hold. Now that we have that, lets add a another safety Variable and see what reactions or changes of outlook we, if any, Have......

Of the seven Chems in This Formulae, Potassium Dichromate Plays an important role in making the Compound "Safer" (in a subjective sense), by adding a level of protection of the Metals from the "Attack" of the Oxidizers (A Really Bad "B" Movie title, hahaha).

That being said, Potassium Dichromate is a Known, Soluable Carcenigen, and can enter the body through your lungs, or spilling it on your skin. Proper Safety Gear is a must, But we are talking about the relative safety of the reaction. (I know A spill would denote a liquid. It is, like Boric Acid in Some Compounds, added to the Wetting solution for better distribution in the case of a star formula). In Mag -55 the chemical is ground finely and added Dry as Water and the various mesh Mag don't generally like each other much. So the Next Safety Concern here, or more to topic, 2 chemical compounds VS 7 Chemical Compounds Having different potentials for "Problems", Is the 7 Chemical Mag-55 Actually "safer" in a different way? Or does the Added Risk of The Dust of Dichromate change the equation? What Say Yee?

Regards, and again, thank you for thinking about it and posting your Opinion.

Stay Green,

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#48 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 07:24 PM

Not really, KMNo4 + Mg flash compared to say some gold star mix with lampblack charcoal sulphur and kno3.No extra chance of getting hurt is there on the second one?

View Post

Potassium Permanganate and MG are a whole different can of worms, I believe there are threads already Regarding this Compound, But your Point is Noted. There is no Permanganate in Mag-55, I put that (KMNo4 + MG) compound on the deathmix list for many reasons. As to the Clorate Lampblack Star, The Formula you propose Consumes itself so fast that alot of the effect of the Lampblack's intended effect is lost, Obviously Perchlorate Lamplack or even Nitrate Lampblack Stars are Prettier and Last longer ( Burn Slower with greater effect.) But again your Point is Noted and appreciated.

Regards,

Stay Green,

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

#49 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 10:16 PM

Excellent posts Burl. I, and all other members, I'm sure, value your contribution to this forum very highly. I've never really seen the appeal of thermite either, but as your post about your Pumpkin Busting Salute (V. impressive, BTW) shows, with the right precautions and experience, most things can be acieved safely. I suspect that thermite's potential for harm and damage is often underestimated by beginners, who should probably leave it well alone. One aspect that that many people seem not to take into account is the hight level of ultraviolet light that it is reported to produce. I believe that copper oxide thermite especially has the potential to cause permenant eye damage. I guess that once, on a small scale, iron oxide thermite is an interesting curiosity (Perhaps why it is so commonly used as a school chemistry demonstration) but that there are safer and probably more interesting routes along which to direct one's energy.

#50 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:09 AM

bear... I just have to ask you this.
after you exploaded that pumpkin, where ther any pieses left???
you don't have any video??
must have bin a very "cool" show :)

spawned:
ther is ofcurse a chans of getting hurt but if you compere those two formula the second one is very safe!

View Post

Our Head Honcho Has Video Of Our Punkin Bustings, And I believe he has Video of this one in Particular, So if Richard would be so Kind, Perhaps He could Post them, I do Have Video of all The Punkins, of Course, However a dazzle or some other Video Capture Device is next on my list, So Alas, I am Sorry, I will Follow Up With Richard and see if he would be able to Post them. As to the Pieces Left, The Blast Circle was around 6 Feet, with about 20 Pumpkin seeds Left in the Circle, The Larger Pieces were found (2" or so the biggest) about 300 Feet away, interestingly, a circle of Pumpkin seeds, with a diameter of about 150 Ft was Found , intereresting "Smoke-ring" effect of only the seeds. The Punkin Bustings are always a very cool show with much effort by the safety committee and members to keep things under control and the posibbilities of Pumpkin Fallout Injury at a minimum. I serve My Safety Duties Every Shoot, usually a couple of shifts every day of the shoots, You'd Be Surprized at the things we've done/I've seen........... I'll leave you with this Comedical Aberation of an aerial Salute......Jimmy is Such an innovator hehehehe

Posted Image

Sometimes Fun is just Fun....hahaha

Regards All,

Stay Green,

Bear

#51 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 11:34 AM

Burl, either e-mail the video(s) to me or I can create an FTP account so you can upload direct to the server.

The new site will allow all members to do this kind of thing :)

#52 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:29 PM

Burl, either e-mail the video(s) to me or I can create an FTP account so you can upload direct to the server.

The new site will allow all members to do this kind of thing :)

View Post

I'm Looking For a Video Capture Card Right Now as I do Have Dlenty of Video, Once that occurs, I will Definately Upload. Tim and I I have a shell Building video We Started For Eigh inch Inner Pistal Willow Shells, 8", While it would be long, It wouls certainly be an assett to the community......Let me just go Buy Buy this Blitthering Card and be done with it.........

Vids for you soon Guys...

Regards,

Stay Green,

Bear

#53 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 06:00 PM

Thanks Phoenix, And Yes, The Welders Flash is a Real (Unseen Danger.....another oyxmoron....) As An American DAV I of course have the befefit of having medical Benefits at The VA Medical Facilities, and through many years of Eye Exams, I've got a few Rods/Cones That are a bit on the as I understand it Dead/Melted/Whatever side, IE; They don't "See"anymore.

This Does not effect my general vision much, but Night driving has become increasingly difficult over the years. As A Fiber Optic Engineering Manager, I have had the dubious Misfortune of a Moron Flip on The Laser Supply in a transmission Card, while I was several kilometers away looking at the connector through a Fiber Scope to inspect it....Needless to say I got Nailed Pretty Good by the "Light" coming through the fiber, You guessed it UV Laser Light/Energy.......Glad it was not a Long Haul Card, Or I would Not Be Able to see now....So I too Would wish/Hope/pray That folks would look at all the aspects of any Pyro Compound and it's susequent Firing Pitfalls, or possible pitfalls. UVA and UVB are both bad for your eyes and There is plenty of both in welding, caldwelding, Thermite.........But it "Looks" Cool Right......Nay, Not without Proper safety Gear. Even Burning Rated Eyeglasses B) would Help, and for the guy who had it explode, throwing metal 5 Meters in the air.....I'll Lay a Fiver or a pint on a bet that there was no Not even a foam Earplug in sight, as it was expected to be a Visual Reaction.............

So Thanks again for your reply,

Stay Green My Friend,

Bear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users