• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:54 PM

As some of you have seen my videos, you will know that my D1 glitter is quite good :D I also use Tiranti Al. I always make 100g at a time including the boric acid. I mill everything for about an hr before screening in the Al. I then pump them into 6mm stars for use in my small shells or 3/8" for my 1/2" candles.

I have also tried loose powder or stars on the ground. From my experience, the stars have to be falling through the air to see the glitter effect. However burnt on the ground should leave a drossy mess!!

I have been complemented by several people here on this forum for my glitter, but have never had any difficulty in making it. Maybe I just have a special batch of Tiranti Al, who knows :rolleyes:

#17 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 12:20 PM

Maxman your D1 glitter is the best i have seen .. thats why im trying to make some.. :) ..

I have just made a few pumped stars and burnt them on the ground..and even tho its a very very nice effect its not a patch on yours...I will try it in the air tonite.. the loose powder and the pumped stars(the pumped stars do leave a dross or some residue) burns with lovely yellow sparks with lots of tiny silver sparks..I cant belive that if i put this in the air those tiny silver sparks will look like Tiny silver flashes.. but we will see...If it does work it proves to me you must test fire from a star gun ..While i'm on dinner break im going to use my Antimony Trisulfide for the first time to make some of Bears Glitter..Ill post a video clip later...

#18 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 05:22 PM

Well i have just filmed some of my D1 glitter burning on the ground and in the air ..It still doesnt look anything like Maxmans :angry: .. I will post a video clip tonite when i get home..

The only thing i havent done yet is to ball mill the comp for 4 or 5 hours which i will do tommorrow.. the comp i'm using was milled for about 2 hours.. It produces lovely golden/yellow sparks with small silvery spritzels? there not sparks but like little splashes of silver ??? hard to descibe so unless you see it?.. its a very nice effect.. but may not look that good 100's of feet in the air? ..
The problem cant be moisture? unless water is needed for the Glitter reaction?..because i have dry pressed the stars using about 4 tons pressure..I have fired them out of a star gun and the yellow/golden tail is just as noticeable as the silver? ..maxmans glitter the Flashing twinkling over powers the golden sparks...But my stars are more 50:50?..i need some how to reduce the golden sparks.. to highlight the silver flashes?...It maybe the willow charcoal ? maybe i will have to mill it longer? .. ill add video later tonight

#19 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 06:11 PM

Sasman, I only mill my glitter for 1 hour! I include the sodium bicarbonate, dextrin and boric acid in that. Then screen in the Al. I use willow charcoal,but I use 58 parts kn03 (Alany's version) not 53 as suggested elsewhere on this forum. I cant see that making any difference though.

#20 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 06:55 PM

I?ve got a video of my D1 glitter.

http://www.kkpaul.rp...vember_2004.mpg

This is a 50mm D1 comet. Can?t say if it was good glitter or not, but seemed o.k. Could you please comment it, maxman?! As a profi?! :D

Edited by paul, 24 November 2004 - 06:56 PM.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#21 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 10:36 PM

Paul your D1 glitter is more like mine than Maxmans ..I fired a few 16mm Stars into the sky and burnt 1 one the ground The video is totaly crap...Does any1 know what settings to use on adobe premier to make better video quality in small files sizes..i have options for DIVX and XVID and lots of others but if i use small files sizes i get poor picture quality..

Here is the clips Glitter test

Posted Image

Maxman does yours burn in a similiar fashion?..on the ground?...

#22 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 01:32 AM

Sasman, How strange, No mine burns with a lot less sparks than that on the ground!!!!!!

How much Al did you put in that??? Are you sure you added the bicarb?
Seriously though I cant beleive that there is that much difference out of the same formula!

That was obviously loose powder but in my pumped stars I get very few sparks on the ground, just more of a moulten drossy mess really but they work nice in the air.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but it sure looks like to much Al from what I can see.

I haven't got a video of loose powder at the moment but I think I have a couple of 3/8" stars left from the 5th so I'll try to post a video tomorrow or should I say later today, of one. Watch this space!!!!

#23 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 01:35 AM

Maxman your D1 glitter is the best i have seen .. thats why im trying to make some.. :) ..

I have just made a few pumped stars and burnt them on the ground..and even tho its a very very nice effect its not a patch on yours...I will try it in the air tonite.. the loose powder and the pumped stars(the pumped stars do leave a dross or some residue) burns with  lovely yellow sparks with lots of tiny silver sparks..I cant belive that if i put this in the air those tiny silver sparks will look like Tiny silver flashes.. but we will see...If it does work it proves to me you must test fire from a star gun ..While i'm on dinner break im going to use my Antimony Trisulfide for the first time to make some of Bears Glitter..Ill post a video clip later...

Cool, I Cant Wait to See! I find it quite satisfying to the eye.....You Go Man!!

Best Regards,

Stay Green <--Antimony can Make you the undesirable Green around the gills!>

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#24 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:17 PM

Well maxman emailed me his D1 Glitter test burnt on the ground

Here's some clips... the stars are 3/8"

Gliitter Ground test
Here is his D1 glitter Payload i think its brilliant!

Freaky Glitter

Anyone have any ideas to what i'm doing different to maxman?.. My scale is accurate to 0.001g my batch size was only 100g so i make sure i precise with my weighing...The Bicarbonate of soda was brand new sealed in the tub so should be dry?..Super cook brand.. ill try increasing the nitrate to 58% see if that changes the outcome...

Edited by sasman, 25 November 2004 - 12:18 PM.

#25 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:26 PM

Sasman, I think its because you dry pressed the stars! Try with water & dextrin, thats all it can be.

#26 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:58 PM

D1 glitter is tricky, the Aluminium type and size is very important!

Flake doesn't work very well in it, it basically burns sliver with little delay. Spherical with an tight distribution of sizes is the best. I use commercial -325 mesh spherical Aluminium, Miral brand I believe, I can find the code number if I dig around in the metals box.

The charcoal is also quite important too. My friend used commercial airfloat and found it generates a completely different effect to my pine charcoal. Willow effects the delay too much IMO, just use cheap and nasty charcoal, but low ash. High ash content tends to inhibit the flash reaction. I haven't tried lampblack yet.

Another problem is that D1 is quite hygroscopic. On a damp night you can find your D1 stars burning to the ground if you leave the bag open to the air for a few hours. I have observed this in my friend's D1 stars, but not mine, so it might be related to his charcoal feedstock or pirming technique. We use the same Aluminium.

The wet reaction is an issue too. I am not 100% sure I fully understand the conditions that can ruin a batch of glitter by over-dampening yet. I've never experenced it with D1, but Fish and Winokur glitters containing Iron Oxide are almost always ruined them if you add more than about 4-5% water. I oven dried a batch of Winokur Salt glitter, and it worked quite well... Strange! D1 is definately more drossy after wetting, producing larger, longer delayed flashes, but less in total number.

The Boric acid also seems to makes a difference, but I'd need to shoot two stars side by side to prove that beyond observations I've collected over a few batches with and without it.

#27 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:34 AM

Anyone ever heard of a red strobe formula that does not use any of the usual strobe ingredients? (Barium Nitrate, Ammonium Perchlorate, and Sulphates)

I think I may have stumbled across something interesting here..... :unsure:

#28 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:37 AM

Post it and then we can try replicating it.

#29 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 01:57 PM

Well maxman emailed me his D1 Glitter test burnt on the ground

Here's some clips... the stars are 3/8"

Gliitter Ground test

Hey sasman,

When I was testing different aluminium streamer compositions a few months back
I stumbled uppon the same effect!!
At first the star burns as usually, then after a few seconds it starts to glow again.
I chucked the batch because it didn't look like very promising, stupid me!!!!
Maybe I can find the formula I used somewhere, I do remember I used Alec Tiranti Al powder and 4 basic ingredients:

Kno3
Sulfer
Charcoal
Al powder
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#30 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:17 PM

You MUST shoot these stars, either from a candle or in a shell or you will not see any glitter at all!!! B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users