method:
mix chemicals together add 1 cup of water stir
add the remaining 2 cups stir
heat untill simmer bubbles form
while stirring alc. add the mixture stir and leave for 5 mins
strain the mixture in a cloth squeeze to get as much moisture out as possible
leave to dry to a damp solid granulate thrugh some screen
leave to dry and use

i just want to know if this recipie is any good as i dont want to waste my chemicals on a crappy recipie so if anyone has made it this way or if anyone wants to try this out for me i will be thankful for any info about this recipie thanks :)
Got some chemicals to sell?
i might buy them just PM me

#2 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:46 AM

This recipe makes BlackPowder using the "CIA" method, which involves dissolving / recrystallising the KNO3. The method is good but I would not use this recipe as it specifies volumes [ie: cups] for it's quantities.

Proper pyrotechnic comps use weight for quantities
Only amateurs tend to use volumes...

My advice is to research the CIA method a little harder, and to stay away from this recipe.

Edit: There's actually a few more things wrong with this recipe that I can see.

I think it would be a useful exercise for forum members to see how many they can spot......

Edited by RegimentalPyro, 07 March 2005 - 10:53 AM.

#3 they say im crazy

they say im crazy

67% pure pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:34 AM

would this recipie work though?
thanks

#4 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 01:13 PM

We cannot be sure if it will work, as Regimental Pyro said, you shouldnt ever measure out quantitys by volume (unless specified).
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:41 PM

once all the liquids have gone you will be left with a mixture that will burn. But don't run off and do it just yet. As said twice before on this thread, your largest problem is the method of measuring your chemicals. There is a whole section on the forum dedicated to weights and measures. Firstly what are your starting materials? The KNO3 is not really a problem, it disolves, but the sulphur and charcoal do not. Also a cup of charcoal chunks is completely different to a cup of charcoal powder. I personally am not familiar with the "CIA" method, but it seems that the point of the getting it "wet" is to spread the oxidiser well into the charcoal. The only problem being that it will take the oxidiser away from the charcoal when you squeeze out all the water and alcohol.

I think it is a waste of time and your chemicals. I'd look into ball milling a 75,15,10 mixture by weight. Have a search on the forum. Try not to be crazy, and buy some scales :) .

#6 pritch

pritch

rocket man

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:15 PM

One of the most important things in making blackpowder is acurate weighing. If you are a tad bit out you will get a slow burning and often useless powder. Try do do it right first time by getting yourself a set of weights capable of weighing 0.1 grams.

#7 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:52 PM

It's not a cake. Its a composition. You call it a 'formula'

Go and read about BP. Find out how to make it properly. There is no real substitute for makling it 'the way nature intended'.

And like pritch said, you *weigh* chemicals, not scoop them in cups!
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#8 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:05 AM

That recipie looks suspiciously like the one on the jolly rogers cookbook. If it is then I advise you to trust nothing on that site. most of the stuff on that site wont work and the rest will be likely to land you in hospital or a morgue. If it's not then still take my advice. That site is bad. :angry:

Anyway, Welcome! :)

For general bp just use the 75.15.10 stuff like what Andrew said.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#9 they say im crazy

they say im crazy

67% pure pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:03 PM

That recipie looks suspiciously like the one on the jolly rogers cookbook. If it is then I advise you to trust nothing on that site. most of the stuff on that site wont work and the rest will be likely to land you in hospital or a morgue. If it's not then still take my advice. That site is bad. :angry:

Anyway, Welcome! :)

For general bp just use the 75.15.10 stuff like what Andrew said.

View Post

its not from the jolly rogers cookbook but from a book called the do it yourself gunpowder cookbook what a waste of money that was!! :angry:

#10 they say im crazy

they say im crazy

67% pure pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:12 PM

btw if i am to measure by weight can someone please give me a formula on how to make it this way or just how much chemicals i should use e.g 150g kno3 e.t.c
thanks. ;)

#11 Flashy

Flashy

Safety First!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:13 PM

its not from the jolly rogers cookbook but from a book called the do it yourself gunpowder cookbook what a waste of money that was!! :angry:

View Post

I would say anything with this kind of synopsis is worth avoiding.

Book Description
Learn how to make gunpowder from such items as dead cats, whiskey, your living room ceiling, manure and maple syrup with simple hand tools and techniques that have been used for centuries. This is a practical and safe approach to making the oldest propellant/explosive known. For information purposes only.

#12 they say im crazy

they say im crazy

67% pure pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:14 PM

I would say anything with this kind of synopsis is worth avoiding.

Book Description
Learn how to make gunpowder from such items as dead cats, whiskey, your living room ceiling, manure and maple syrup with simple hand tools and techniques that have been used for centuries. This is a practical and safe approach to making the oldest propellant/explosive known. For information purposes only.

View Post

ha yeah i suppose i will sell it on ebay!

#13 StarScream

StarScream

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:29 PM

The formula seems really odd not only because it's specifying volume measurements, but the amount of KNO3 doesn't seem to be anywhere near enough.

Search the forums more thoroughly for information. Most of your questions will have likely been answered before. I know it?s easier to just ask whatever is on your mind, but then we have 1000 different posts asking how to make BP. Look and ye shall find!
"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

#14 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:33 PM

you still not figured out the ratio? its all over the place!
adamw's sig even says it. ^ up a bit ^
by weight is:
75% kno3 (potassium nitrate)
15% charcoal (nice stuff, like willow, not briqetts)
10% sulphur (nice pure powder if you can get it. sulphur flowers arent the same)
Normally if pushed, u can get all 3 ingredients from a good big garden center. (even if not too pure, should work kinda ok) then mill together.
oh yeah, and "use the forum search" seems to be a responce you will hear a lot. might be worth it u know

Edited by ProfHawking, 08 March 2005 - 08:34 PM.

#15 they say im crazy

they say im crazy

67% pure pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:52 PM

you still not figured out the ratio? its all over the place!
adamw's sig even says it. ^ up a bit ^
by weight is:
75% kno3 (potassium nitrate)
15% charcoal (nice stuff, like willow, not briqetts)
10% sulphur (nice pure powder if you can get it. sulphur flowers arent the same)
Normally if pushed, u can get all 3 ingredients from a good big garden center. (even if not too pure, should work kinda ok) then mill together.
oh yeah, and "use the forum search" seems to be a responce you will hear a lot. might be worth it u know

View Post

would this give fast burning bp like 40cm a second burn rate?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users