• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:44 PM

The United Kingdom Rocketry Association has one of its important gatherings on Saturday 11th of June. It?s a great day out ? with burger van, sunshine (well, sometimes) and high-powered rockets roaring up to into the sky. For those who never seen a rocket being lifted thousands of feet into the air, here is your chance :)

It also has the added benefit of having a firework display being fired during the evening ? by your own BPS admin team!

The display has been a running tradition for the last few years ? and since Richard H started it, has been growing steadily. The nice thing about it is the ?feel good? factor that is added to it. There is no competition, no pressure, and no profits. The budget is partly made up by UKRA, and partly by individuals who chip in a few quid to top the display up ? and 100% of it goes toward the purchase of fireworks.

The fireworks are sourced from commercial companies (we are talking professional Cat 4 fireworks), who usually go into their storage, look for a few clearance items and throw them into the order for free ? erasing any potential profit that might have been.

As a number of BPS Admin are involved with commercial firework companies on a non-profit basis, we are able to secure insurance for the event (an essential thing to have).

Needless to say ? with commercial companies providing the insurance, they do require the firers to be competent and have experience ? and do not allow ?newbies? in the firing line. As such forum members should NOT be expecting to turn up and be able to take a part in the set-up and firing. We might be able to accommodate couple of new members for the set?up stage ? but even that is not guaranteed.

However members that do intend to turn up should let us know ? and we will probably be able to provide a ?site visit? to allow members to see that big professional items up close and personal and maybe even give them a hug :)

For this years display we have some real treats. A z-shape mine brocade cake (I will just say that it fires 200 tiger tail type stars in about 10-15 seconds), 6 inch PILLAR shells which are Mine, Stars and 6 inch shell all packed into one item, shells upto 8", and a special finale!

We might be able to put our hands on a girandola (if budget allows), and for the first time we are honoured by a contribution from the good Reverend Ron Lancaster of Kimbolton himself who is providing some large set pieces for the show (a chance to see a three inch fountain up close and personal, amongst other things!

Please drop a PM to BigG (who wrote this fine press release :D) or RegimentalPyro if you intend to show up ? and we will arrange a place to meet you guys on site.

Event info: http://ukra.org.uk/events/ukra.shtml

#2 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:06 PM

Having worked with the "Large Set Pieces" that you mention, my only question is ... how the heck are they going to be transported as they are LARGE ?

The 200 shot 10-15 second cake... would that be the one we"tested" after the last show ? very yummy :)

One for Adam... you dont happen to have one of those nice little set pieces you donated last time lying around do you ?.. that was a very nice item.

Last note.. anyone who can make it should come.. well worth the trip and a great get together.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#3 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:13 PM

Nope, none of those left.. but I'll rustle something up.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#4 s2525

s2525

Irish Pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:54 PM

Where is it?
Youre Friend
S25
===

#5 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:02 PM

Event info: http://ukra.org.uk/events/ukra.shtml

:rolleyes:

The precise address is:

# Pete's Rockets,
# Unit 1,
# Southview Buildings,
# Burton Road,
# Heckington,
# Sleaford,
# Lincolnshire,
# NG34 9QS.

#6 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:38 AM

Don't let the address confuse you - it's not some industrial estate, but a full - few hundred acres farm.

Djinn ? the set pieces were already given to us by Mr. Lancaster ? and they fit nicely into a large box. They will need to be mounted on a four meters polls when on site.

Members who intend to come should let me or Regimentalpyro know. The farm is over a large area and we will need to arrange for a place to meet and walk you onto the firing site.

#7 Karl

Karl

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:57 PM

I saw your display last year guys and let me say it was a truly awesome sight! I will be going down to UKRA this year too so It would be great to meet some of the Forum members!
Karl

#8 s2525

s2525

Irish Pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:37 AM

Im in Ireland but ill see if i can go,Wow it sounds great though
Youre Friend
S25
===

#9 PyroKid

PyroKid

PyroKid

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:38 PM

I was hoping to be attending the event in order to help with the setting up of the show, however, i am not sure if i will be able to attend this year due to financial reasons, however, i will keep you posted if anything is to change.

If i am unable to attend this year, i will do my best to attend next year.

It sure sounds like this is gona be a show that is not to be missed.

Once again, i will try my best to attend the set-up but at this point in time i can not commit myself to anything at this point in time.

If i am unable to attend, i just want to wish u guys well and look forward to seeing any photos / footage of the show which you might have!

All the best!

Adam
AKA Pyro-Kid
Who said there wasnt fireworks between us?

#10 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:14 AM

Will any of the team be staying til the Sunday? It would be great to have a chat without the pressure of a show to fuse and fire. Is there camping, B&B???
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#11 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:29 AM

Will any of the team be staying til the Sunday? It would be great to have a chat without the pressure of a show to fuse and fire. Is there camping, B&B???

I'm very likely to go back on the night - but I think most of the team will be camping - there is usually a barn where everyone crash in :)

There are also some B&B's in the area - I think Richard can supply more information.

#12 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:47 AM

I look forward to watching the show, I hope that some of the firing crew will have the time and opportunity to explain to their audience how it is done.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#13 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:31 PM

I and Richard (I presume) will be camping (have done every other year, even with cold and other llnesses! - RH!)
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#14 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:05 PM

I look forward to watching the show, I hope that some of the firing crew will have the time and opportunity to explain to their audience how it is done.

We can certainly promise a site visit to the people coming down ? and a chat (for an hour) during the Saturday ? and Richard and Adam will be available for much longer period during the Sunday. I urge members to PM to me or regimentalpyro if they come ? so we can plan a good 30-45 minute of a site tour and explain how things are done. We won?t be able to accommodate members one at a time ? so a PM is really a must so we can plan for the group size and agree an hour that they can come onto site.

#15 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:12 PM

Yep I'll be there all weekend and available for a chat on Sunday morning if people wish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users