• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Fox

Alan Fox

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:31 PM

<_< Ive been wondering and trying to work up a safe formula to produce a BP rocket motor for use in Pyro display that will also provide a colored flame from the motor. Has anyone worked on this?
Dont touch that!

#2 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:14 PM

You can make a nice orange :)

With BP alone - good luck. If you search the forum you will find a few discussions about making colours (or not as it transpires) with anything less than KCLO4
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#3 Chaz

Chaz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:24 PM

An additional 5% of aluminium should give the rocket a silver tail, other than that, I'm not sure what else you can do. *Maybe* the addition of zinc would turn the flame green, but you would most likely still have the typical orange charcoal sparks.

#4 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:17 AM

Well ? again ? this will be difficult with a BP based fuel. Kimbolton produce fountains, which have green flame and are called ?green quicksilver?. The name might suggest an inclusion of magnesium or magnelium based formulations. However, those fountains do not create spray as strong as BP based ones ? and I can only guess that they produce low amount of gas and will not operate as rocket motors.

The one trick you can apply is build a BP based rocket and include a layer of coloured fire at the end. Such a device will start as a regular motor ? and will finish with a couple of seconds of coloured fire. The coloured fire will not contribute to the rocket thrust ? but might create an unusual effect at its peek.

Please note you cannot make your own motors and then use them in public displays ? unless you got a manufacture facility.

Edited by BigG, 20 May 2005 - 09:17 AM.

#5 pyrohawk

pyrohawk

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 05:04 AM

Whats the formula for Kimboltons Green Quicksilver? I would like to have a good green fountain formula..... I assume it uses some sort of Barium salt?

#6 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 11:32 AM

Some years ago I saw some Spanish flight rockets that had a small colour case glued to the side of the motor. This was designed to light at the same time as the motor. I know this isn't exactly what you're after but I would imagine a good willow or Kamuro star would leave a nice effect on the way up.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#7 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:40 AM

Whats the formula for Kimboltons Green Quicksilver? I would like to have a good green fountain formula..... I assume it uses some sort of Barium salt?

View Post

How would I know that :)? It's a commortial formula - and I don't expect them to tell everyone how they do this :)

#8 mcfluffin

mcfluffin

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:25 PM

Although I've never tried this, I believe that if you where to add a copper salt(probably copper nitrate) it would color it green. I've got only a little bit(testing out nitric acid :D ) and as yet don't have good enough charcoal to make decent gunpowder. Wouldn't hurt to try, although you would have to play around with the proportions as earlier stated, other mixtures might not have enough kick to get off the ground.

#9 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:56 PM

How would I know that  :)? It's a commerciall formula - and I don't expect them to tell everyone how they do this :)

View Post

Maybe testing for the components? i believe alany (?) has a very extensive chems test on his website...

Edited by PyromaniaMan, 07 July 2005 - 02:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users