Lighters or Matches?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:58 PM

Touch paper- Clever. Blue touch paper, by any chance?

#17 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:19 PM

Actually its white! homemade of course, i used to colour it blue, but the ink i used made the touchpaper burn slower and cooler thus giving me more misfires, so now its plain white :D

I have to say tho, blue does give it a nice touch, much nicer to look at! :D

#18 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:41 PM

No, I was just reffering to the "Light the blue touchpaper and retire [Run your f**king legs off!]) quote that you used to get on the old fireworks, for the benefit of younger readers.

#19 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

Oh yeah..........that brings back memories!! :blush:

#20 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:51 PM

Heh, running, or the old days? where you had to have a handful of hot gravel for dinner and thought yourself lucky (probably more than 5%!)

#21 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:52 AM

matches all the way.
easy to light, can dry them by rolling in your hair, the head bit will ignite pretty much anything, cheap, easily available, don't shower bits of plastic everywhere if you drop them on a fire,

#22 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:02 PM

Fair enough. Do you use normal matches or waterproof ones? (yes to all n00bs you can get waterproff matches.)

#23 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:35 PM

Fair enough. Do you use normal matches or waterproof ones? (yes to all n00bs you can get waterproff matches.)

View Post

normal strike anywhere matches.

if i need to keep them dry, i dip the heads in candle wax. when i need to light them, i pick off a piece of the wax, and light it.(cheap waterproof matches).

#24 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:53 PM

Cool. I also have one of those torches hanging about, they are great! just slot in a disposable lighter, then you have a blowtorch! Maplin is one of my favourite shops, especially for pyro. "What?!? Maplin Electronics sells pyro?!?!" No, but they sell wire, nichrome wire, relays, swithes, and zippy boxes :P

View Post

they don't sell nichrome(at least on their website).

#25 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:23 PM

Maybe not, but they sell ?3.99 soldering irons, and pull one of those apart and what do you have 10 metres of?

#26 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:29 AM

Maybe not, but they sell ?3.99 soldering irons, and pull one of those apart and what do you have 10 metres of?

View Post

string!

do they contain 10m of nichrome?
i thought it was alot less than that?

#27 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:04 PM

Well, theres a lot... it differs from iron to iron. Still lots of thin nichrome wire though.

#28 Draco_Americanus

Draco_Americanus

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:21 AM

I my self use a "solder-it" brand butane torch that has peizo ignition, you hold it like a big pen or laser pointer, flip your thumb up and you have a nice blue flame. It's easy to take apart and clean as well, other times I use a torch lighter that is shaped like a dragon, his mouth opens and out comes the torch flame.

As for running like heck? In time like that I take the lazy way and use my ATV, I leave it in 1st or second gear, light the fuse and hop back onto the quad and gun the throttle. I only do that for bigger items.

#29 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 09:04 PM

I've never tried a propane brazing torch with piezo ignition, but a lot of US pyros use them.  They have a bigger, hot flame and a nice long neck and tank to extend the danger away from you.  But I suspect lugging them around all night is more of a workout for the wrist.

View Post

Which is exactly why I use one. I use that mainly because of the larger hotter flame, the long neck and tank is an added benefit. The larger hotter flame helps when you have several smaller repeaters you want to light quickly that are all the same for a nicer broader effect. 10 96 shot color pearls looks pretty nice spread across a tennis court :D .

#30 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:35 PM

View Post

We sell constantan wire, not nicrome wire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users