26 replies to this topic

#1 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 12:20 AM

Hi just got back from shugsbrough and here saw a jaw dropping effect here it is What is it?..I can post several more clips each display had at least one of theses effects..Kimbolton had the best ones but in all the excitment i forgot to press record :angry: ....

..Its not a willow effect Kimbolton fired afew willow shells and this to me is far superoir..It just hangs in the air for ages like glittery effect ?? also in the clip is a 3 large Mines that shoots out what appears to me as the same effect as the shells in the background?...Please tell me what this formula is? it looks as if its the same formula that castillareno is looking for....

#2 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 04:26 AM

Looks like a glitter to me.

Probably a Barium Nitrate/Magnalium glitter, but it could be a vanilla Aluminium one. The flashes aren't very distinct so it might be more of a transformation (firefly/flitter) rather than tremelon effect.

#3 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 11:09 AM

I'd say it was brocade from memory and asking the opinion of a couple of folks.

#4 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 11:27 AM

Whatever it was, it was awesome. I can't remember which team it was (perhaps Spitfire?), but one had a really amazing "Glitter Willow" kind of effect, where the shell broke very high, and the glitter stars just fell, and fell, and fell, then went out just before they hit the ground. This was different from the hanging glitter effect, in that the stars were still falling and streaming flashes, rather than burning out then leaving the huge flashing cloud in the video. It really was very impressive.

PS, Were you the guy with a video camera on a tripod near the back, sasman? If you were, I walked past you a few times...

#5 castillareno

castillareno

pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 02:02 PM

Hi just got back from shugsbrough and here saw a jaw dropping effect here it is What is it?..I can post several more clips each display had at least one of theses effects..Kimbolton had the best ones but in all the excitment i forgot to press record  :angry: ....

..Its not a willow effect Kimbolton fired afew willow shells and this to me is far superoir..It just hangs in the air for ages like glittery effect  ?? also in the clip is a 3 large Mines that shoots out what appears to me as the same effect as the shells in the background?...Please tell me what this formula is? it looks as if its the same formula that castillareno is looking for....

View Post

YES, sasman. I am castillareno, and I look exactly the same formula. :o

Please, I need help to make this formula. I go time searching , and I do not find response to this beautiful effect...

We need help, friend sasman. But, Who??????????????????

#6 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 03:05 AM

YES, sasman.  I am castillareno, and I look exactly  the same formula.  :o

Please, I need help to make this formula. I go time searching , and I do not find  response to this beautiful effect...

We need  help, friend sasman. But, Who??????????????????

View Post

Ditto I am looking for a very similar formula! An effect like that is what I am looking to paint the sky with for minutes :D .

#7 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 10:48 AM

Try 15-20% or so of ferrotitanium in greenmix plus a bit of dextrin to bind it.

Which is basically what Blonde Streamer #1 and #2 are.

#8 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 12:01 PM

.Alany , Im in the process of making some Blonde streamer stars using 15% FerroTitanium 60:40 (40 to -325 mesh) ,I rolled them up to about 11 to 13mm on friday and last night fired a few to see if they were dry enough to roll up to 19mm and also to see if they need priming... They ignite very easily..The effect was a very nice golden yellow shower of sparks..

They burn extremely fast ..when i have test fired other stars they always get to 50 or 60 feet but these Blonde streamer stars were burnt up within 20 or 30 feet ..i fired a few all went the same way?.. i dont think the effect will be the same as the one im looking for... :( But will find out when they are dry hopefully ill fire a few shells at the weekend :ph34r: ..

Ps.. The stars have dried nice and hard But i can break them in to bits with a pair of pliers easier than i could other stars i have made ? How can you make rolled stars stronger? more dextrin?.. They did spike a little when i was rolling them but increased the Alcohol % and wet rolled them more to smooth them out..

Try 15-20% or so of ferrotitanium in greenmix plus a bit of dextrin to bind it.

Which is basically what Blonde Streamer #1 and #2 are.

View Post

#9 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 12:08 PM

.Alany , Im in the process of making some Blonde streamer stars using 15% FerroTitanium 60:40 (40 to -325 mesh)  ,I rolled them up to about 11 to 13mm on friday and last night fired a few to see if they were dry enough to roll up to 19mm and also  to see if they need priming... They  ignite very easily..The effect was a very nice golden yellow shower of sparks..

They burn extremely fast ..when i have test fired other stars they always get to  50 or 60 feet  but these Blonde streamer stars were burnt up within 20 or 30 feet ..i fired a few all went the same way?.. i dont think the effect will be the same as the one im looking for... :(  But will find out when they are dry hopefully ill fire a few shells at the weekend  :ph34r: ..

Ps.. The stars have dried nice and hard But i can break them in to bits with a pair of pliers easier than i could other stars i have made ? How can you make rolled stars stronger? more dextrin?.. They did spike a little when i was rolling them but increased the Alcohol % and wet rolled them more to smooth them out..

View Post

Sasman – Blonde streamer was never meant to be using such fine Fe-Ti. Bleser uses 100 mesh only, and in reality you will get excellent results from larger pieces such as +10-100 or +20-40 – however, if the majority of your Fe-Ti is very fine, the burn rate will increase and the streamer effect will not be as good.

#10 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 01:01 PM

Yes your quite right BigG I have david blessers book and it mention 100 mesh..

But i used Passfire's Formula Blonde streamer and on there it mentions 40 to -325 Mesh FeTi..I went with Passfires formula because im hoping it looks something similiar to the Slow gold formula which there was a photo of in the article.. this requires ti sponge which i dont have :( .. Due to the fact they burn so fast i think ill make them nearly 1 " for the 6" shell..Hopefully 1 kg Of comp will roll about 200 stars up to about 1 " from 10mm cores

Sasman ? Blonde streamer was never meant to be using such fine Fe-Ti. Bleser uses 100 mesh only, and in reality you will get excellent results from larger pieces such as +10-100 or +20-40 ? however, if the majority of your Fe-Ti is very fine, the burn rate will increase and the streamer effect will not be as good.

View Post

#11 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 01:16 PM

Yes your quite right BigG I have david blessers book and it mention 100 mesh..

But i used Passfire's Formula Blonde streamer and on there it mentions 40 to -325 Mesh FeTi..I went with Passfires formula because im hoping it looks something similiar to the Slow gold formula which there was a photo of in the article.. this requires ti sponge which i dont have  :( .. Due to the fact they burn so fast i think ill make them nearly 1 " for the 6" shell..Hopefully 1 kg Of comp will roll about 200 stars up to about  1 " from 10mm cores

View Post

I can only suspect that the powder Kyle uses has more particles toward the 40 mesh then the 400. I always got a very long hanging time when using 20-40 powder.

#12 castillareno

castillareno

pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 06:22 PM

Hi there, BigG. I am Castillareno. You remember me?

Please, what formulates exact you were using to obtain so high hanging, very long?

Then the composition of the video of sasman, post of above(up) What is it? .. it(he,she) is gold streamer ?

This hangs more than the willow?

Please, friend Big G, looks again the video "What is it? .. " of sasman .

I need to make these composition, very soft and slowly hanging of the sky, as rain...

BigG, I wait for your answer. :o

Edited by castillareno, 07 September 2004 - 06:39 PM.

#13 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:47 PM

Here is a clip of the blonde streamer rolled up to 19mm .. only dried them for one day but seem to burn pretty good.. 19 mm blonde streamer..

I like the effect the star went well over 70 or 80 feet nice long tail ,I managed to roll up about 220 stars from 10mm to about 20 mm using 1000g of comp...Doubleing the star size didnt use double the comp it uses 4 times more comp?..A 6" shell will take about 160....looking forward to seeing how it looks in the sky....

#14 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:26 PM

Looks OK, but I think it would be better with more coarse FeTi as BigG suggests.

#15 dfk

dfk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:26 PM

Please, friend Big G, looks again the video "What is it? .. " of sasman .

I need to make these composition, very soft and slowly hanging of the sky, as rain

Here it is again for those of you who missed it in the star formula thread or those who like to hear and see things over and over before absorbing or trying anything.

This ones listed in my book of random s**t and notes.
(Hardt)

Potassium Nitrate 29
Pine Charcoal 34
Sulfur 6
Fe-Ti 25
SGRS 6

This star looks awsome.
I shot a FCS yesteday filled with 1/8'- to no bigger than 1/4' stars wich burnt all the way to the ground. My shell must have been week because the break was more of a curtain pattern than a ball of anykind, still looked good. I have the same 40-325 mesh Fe-Ti sasman was talking about and the results were lovely if you ask me. These stars burn dark giving the impresion of sparks from thin air.
Some of these sparks 'flash' toward the end of there burn which gave it a look that some might call a glitter. Constuction is easy, I milled all but the FeTi to a fine powder, probably around two hours. then mixed in the metal, dampened and cut. The FCS shell was just a tester. I recently pressed some bigger stars for a 3' and can't wait to see how that turns out.

This might not be the EXACT brocade comp you guys are looking for but it fits most everyones discription. So take it or leave it, maybe try it, but please quit asking.

Marcus
Marcus; 'In the practice of manipulating fire for 4 years'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users