32 replies to this topic

#1 pritch

pritch

rocket man

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:12 AM

It is now illegal to fire fireworks between 7 am and 11 pm, except from on Nov 5 and new years eve. I am not sure how strict this law is or how badly you can be punished.

#2 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:49 AM

I hope that's between 11pm & 7am :D

To be honest, I dont think thats unreasonable. Hopefully it may stop some of the morons around here who fire aerial salutes at 3am. It's people like this, who annoy people (even people who love fireworks) & contribute to the calls to ban firework sales to the public altogether. Now THAT would be bad news :(
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#3 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:27 AM

Pritch - Given that there is a forum called "UK Explosives law and legislation", could you please use it in future for all matters pertaining to "UK explosives law and legislation".

Thankyou....

#4 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:29 AM

A ban between 11pm to 7am (which is what I believe the new law is) ? is a good thing and should have been there long ago. There is really no reason for anyone to shoot fireworks in the middle of the night. We had an idiot firing noisy fireworks from this back yard at three in the morning, and I went out in the middle of the night and walked down for half a mile (and he was still firing!) to ask him what the hell he is doing. I won?t repeat the whole conversation because we wise to maintain a good level on the forum, but it?s that sort of action that make people go against fireworks.

#5 pritch

pritch

rocket man

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:06 AM

Well regimental pyro it's not all that clear despite your patronizing tone.

Kind of a double standard going on here. We are not allowed to talk about explosives because they are not the same as fireworks. Yet the name of the forum regarding the law on fireworks is called explosives law and legislation.
I know that fireworks come under this legislation but it isn't the etiquette that seems to get used on here.

Also I think the law is too late. People will be sleeping at 11 am. I think 9 would have been reasonable myself. More like between 9 pm and 11 pm. I cant understand why they want fireworks to be going off while people are sleeping.

#6 pritch

pritch

rocket man

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:07 AM

I just read your post bigG.
Its not what you said. Its a ban between 7 am and 11 pm. I could be wrong but i dont think I am.

#7 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:22 AM

Pritch, firing a display at 9pm on or near Midsummers day for a wedding isn't possible, it's still daylight. 11pm sounds fine, although I don't think that Lewes in Sussex will comply on bonfire night to any time limit. Tradition dictates salutes randomly going off from midnight on the 5th throughout the whole day and probably till 2am on the 6th. And I don't see it changing TBH. Sussex Bonfire is a strange animal. These salutes tend to be fired by individuals rather than organisations. As to where they get them, that is shrouded in mystery.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#8 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:33 AM

The ban is from 23.00 hours to 07.00 hours, not the other way around. Think about it, who in their right mind would sanction people setting off fireworks in the middle of the night, waking people up?

Also, fireworks are explosives. They fall under the remit of the explosives acts, most recently MSER and the Fireworks Bill.

#9 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:42 AM

Well regimental pyro it's not all that clear despite your patronizing tone.

Kind of a double standard going on here. We are not allowed to talk about explosives because they are not the same as fireworks. Yet the name of the forum regarding the law on fireworks is called explosives law and legislation.
I know that fireworks come under this legislation but it isn't the etiquette that seems to get used on here.

Also I think the law is too late. People will be sleeping at 11 am. I think 9 would have been reasonable myself. More like between 9 pm and 11 pm. I cant understand why they want fireworks to be going off while people are sleeping.

View Post

Regimental Pyro is complaining about the fact that you have made your post in ?UK-pyrotechnic Forum? rather then under ?UK Explosives law and legislation? Forum that is already there. He has no issue with the actual content of your post, only with the fact that the later is a much more obvious and current place to place the post in.

Also, unless something really strange happend in the last week, we are talking about 11pm to 7am and not the other way around. This law has been on the card for some time and most in the industry are quite happy with it.

Edited by BigG, 21 September 2004 - 09:43 AM.

#10 pritch

pritch

rocket man

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:58 AM

ah well thats fine. I don't know if anyone else watched gmtv from 7 am but I am pretty sure their presenter said from 7 am to 11 pm which would have been ridiculous.
Oh i just heard it again on the news and it definetly said from 11 to 7.
I think if you break this it is classed as "anti-social"

#11 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:47 AM

I think the only real difference this new law will make will be to stop professional displays after 11PM.

Judging by the amount of bangers flowing through ebay recently, we're in for an exceptionally loud November.....

#12 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:02 PM

The new law is welcome and it is the fireworks industry that proposed it in the first place. As all UK laws, they have exceptions, like days of national celebration, nov 5, new years, chinese new year Divali and some other festivities etc. Display company's will gladly fire early... better than de-rigging and packing till 3 in the morning believe you me.
Also there is not an issue if the display is in the middle of no where.. ie: not near residential homes etc.
Like some of the others have said, it is the idiots that choose to fire arial salutes etc in the middle of the night outside someones house that gives the anti fireworks campaigners ammunition to have a blanket ban.
there are many people like me that have young kids, and I object to mindless idiots keeping not only them but myself awake all hours of the night.

Compaired to laws that some of our American and Austrailian counterparts are subject to, we still have it pretty easy.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#13 neo

neo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:58 PM

wow! you guys hav it really easy!
her it is totaly illegal to fire fireworks at any time exept on new years eve and 1st may... but you can pay some fees (don't know the exact word...) then you have premission to fire fireworks, at that time. and it is expensive to.

Edited by neo, 21 September 2004 - 06:00 PM.

Pyrotechnics, the art of fire!

#14 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:59 PM

From Kimbolton's last course, two weeks ago. Curfew is 2300 til 0700. Dispensation for Bonfire night and Diwali to 12midnight and for New Years Eve til 0100.

Responsible firers will appreciate the moderation of the regulation. As usual irresponsible firers wont care but now the law is there to facilitate legal action.

Only caveat must be when a festival is celebrated on the nearest saturday. This year 5 nov is a friday so I guess there will be celebrations on the sat(6th) also.

Anyone firing for other ethnic festivals and on "the saturday after" should check in advance with their council and police whether the 2300 or midnight cut-off should be applied.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#15 Helmetfire

Helmetfire

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:06 PM

Good news about the curfew, not before time.
One question though. Who is going to police this new law and whom do we call if we have problems with breaches with said same. I happened to be talking to three Police Officers today, and they were unaware of this new legislation and had no idea of how to deal with a complaint if they got one. Unless one can quote the name of the act (eg Firearms Amendment Act 1988), to the evil doer and for that matter the Police, them I can see it all being a waste of time. Another thought has just struck me. The curfew runs from 23:00hrs with "extensions" for public holidays and the like. Well in my part of the country Guy Fawkes "night" last for anything from 7 to 10 days. Is Nov 5th the only Guy Fawkes night, or could it be argued by those displaying (both organised and private), that they could only, for what ever reason, have their Nov 5th on the 8th, 10th, 16th etc. If this is the case then the whole thing is pointless.

Edited by Helmetfire, 22 September 2004 - 06:18 PM.

If in doubt BANG OUT!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users