28 replies to this topic

#1 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 04:32 AM

I don't mean the blowing of fingers and stuff like that.

More like coughing and irritation to the respiratory system.
Because I developed some coughng. Could this be because I spend 1/3 of my free time in my basement which is full of chemicals and BP.

Or did i just catch a cold.

How dangerous are these things in medical aspects.

Thnx
LP

Edited by Richard H, 16 October 2004 - 06:15 AM.

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 06:11 AM

You should be wearing a respirator when handling chemicals, not to mention gloves. ANY fine dust that is inhaled can cause irritation and damage to the lungs.

#3 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 06:28 AM

I got both. Altough my respirator isn't the highest quality.

So i't probobly just a cold.

LP

Edited by Pretty green flames, 16 October 2004 - 06:28 AM.

#4 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:12 AM

All Chems have a safety data sheet, read the info and warnings. They also list symptoms for contact with skin and inhalation.

Invest in a good quality respirator, they dont have to be expensive, but one with changeble filters is good. A box of 100 latex gloves is only around ?4 and are fine for most things, can even wear them under heavier gloves if needed.

Some form of eye protection is also a good idea..

Remember, prevention is better than cure and safety must always come first.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#5 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 10:54 AM

In a basement do remember to create some ventilation an inlet or extract fan, or botn. try to get airflow way from you where you are working and work cleanly then use gloves respirator and overalls and eye protection. Find and read the MSDS for each material you use. replace the PPE (personal protective equipment ) at the reccommended intervals.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#6 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 02:23 PM

Another thing worth investing in is a dedicated workshop. That way you won't be putting anyone else, or your/their home at risk from the small, but none the less present risk that this hobby poses, however carefully it is done. Too many people have been injured as a result of hobbyists operating in basements.

#7 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:52 PM

Hi what is the best place to make fireworks in? i do not have a shed or out to build them outside i can only use my bedroom.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#8 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 05:41 PM

Realistically, the best structure would be a secure, dry building with electricity and running water. Handling or storing live composition in a dwelling is not a great idea, especially if people other than yourself live there. What is essential is that you work somewhere where an accident can happen without damaging anyone else or their property. If means working outside when the weather is good, then that is what you should do.

#9 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 05:48 PM

I moved my workshop from my basement to my grandparents's
300m2 wine cellar.
It has electricity, running water, good ventilation and most important to me......
enough space.

LP

#10 mleech

mleech

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 06:52 PM

I wear a respirator, gloves, safety goggles, and cover-alls that I wash (separately)
after nearly every session in my spacious (1800 sq ft) workshop. I have water,
electricity, and I tend to work with the door open--so that I can escape in a hurry
if necessary.

Depending on the compositions, the chemicals aren't all that toxic. BP compositions
aren't particularly toxic, but they're dusty, which can lead to lung problems if you don't
wear appropriate respiratory protection.

KNO3 and KClO4 are only slightly more toxic than table salt. SrCO3 is roughly as toxic
as limestone, while Copper Carbonate and Barium Carbonate are moderately to very toxic.
Paris Green (Copper Acetoarsenate) is so toxic that its use in consumer fireworks is
banned in many countries.

NaClO3 and KClO3 are both used as herbicides and soil sterilants. You should steer clear
of them in general for other reasons related to their sensitivity.

Dextrin is edible (just not very pleasant), Shellac is also non-toxic. Sulfur is mildly toxic, but
it has traditionally been used in various folk remedies without any serious health effects.
Charcoal isn't particularly toxic, except that if you end up breathing the dust in every day
for the next 20 years, you're likely to end up with black lung disease, and die a horrible
gasping death.

Aluminum dust is not good for you, and aluminum has been implicated as a contributing
factor in Alzheimers disease. The original "tin man" in the Wizard of Oz had to be replaced
because the aluminum dust they were using on his face nearly killed him. Daily aspiration
of small amounts of the dust during production coated his lungs with aluminum, causing
major pulmonary distress.

Injestion of metallic iron can cause iron toxicity (liver, I think), but it's likely that you'll
barf before injesting enough to cause problems. And we typically use fairly large
particle sizes, so it's unlikely to form significant dusts.

The Benzoates and Salicylates are toxic--benozates are used as fungicides and preservatives
in foods, however. So small quantities aren't likely to be a problem. Don't go eating them.

Organic solvents aren't particularly good for you, so make sure that your space is well
ventillated, and try to avoid Acetone, Toluene, Xylene, and Methanol whenever practical.
Isopropyl is still toxic, but less so than Methanol, and prolonged breathing of Methanol
vapour is almost as dangerous as drinking the stuff.

My biggest concern is lead toxicity--since we nearly all mill our BP with lead balls, we're
all getting exposed to metallic lead, and small amounts of lead compounds whenever
we work with homemade BP. It might be instructive to test homemade BPs for degree
of lead contamination. Anyone have the ability to do that?

#11 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 05:42 AM

Actually perchlorates are rather toxic to humans, they compete with iodine and reduce your thyroid activity.

A simple qualitative test for lead might be adding a little acetic acid to the BP, letting it settle then dripping in some sulfate ions, like a strong sodium sulfate solution. A white precipitate should form if lead is present. not sure how sensitive that test would be, and it probably works for all heavy metals who's sulfates are poorly soluable at room temperature. Chromate ions should produce an orange/yellow precipitate more specific to lead, but the reagent is then itself rather toxic.

#12 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:11 AM

Hi what is the best place to make fireworks in? i do not have a shed or out to build them outside i can only use my bedroom.

View Post

You should NEVER work at home. If the only place you have is your room or the basement, then you should NOT be doing pyrotechnic. You are putting your whole family is denger.

Working inside home is the worst thing any amatuar can imaginibly do.

#13 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:48 AM

I think it's sensible to consider the worst case scenario.

Think about what would happen if there was an accident, and everything went up in flames. Now, if this is in a bedroom of a residential property, you've got a BIG problem. Also, the likleyhood of you being in very close proximety to the blast is greatly increased.

If it's in a properly constructed building, with the appropriate safety distances, you've still got a problem, but at least it doesn't involve the rest of your house/neighboring properties.

Think about where the explosion would vent. If it's in a basement, you could take down the whole house :( Not good.

#14 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:20 PM

HI all

Just ordered some Barium Nitrate.
And just a quick checkup on how toxic it is.
Any ideas on that.

LP

#15 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:53 PM

Look, would you please SEARCH. There was a very detailed thread posted by me about Barium salts toxicity. You can't expect the information to find you, you have to find it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users