thnx

#2 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 08:00 PM

You need a star rolling machine, a star comp, some cores to start with and a solvent (in a spray can).

Put the cores in the rolling machine and cover the with the solvent (H2O if dextrin is used as a binder in the stars). Some star comp is sprinkled on the cores. And when the cores can't take up more comp you spary more solvent on them and sprinkle more star comp.

This is basicly how it is done, and enyone can learn how to get perfectly round stars.
The best way is to start with a cheep BP-like comp. And if problem comes up ask the forum or read in Best of AFN II page 88-91.

#3 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:08 PM

Ok serious problem

I was experimenting with rolled stars as written on UN page

Here: http://www.unitednuclear.com/stars.htm

I was using Crissy 6 formula (as i don't have other chems at the moment)

I was using pepper seeds for cores.

When i started adding the mix, the stars went all bumpy.

I sprayed 2 sprays from a height of around 40cm. and then added half a teaspoon of mix and then it went all bumpy.

Are all mixes good for rolling, what cores to use......help, Please!

#4 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:44 PM

In my experience finely milled comps like tigertail and crys.6 are the most difficult to roll.
The trick is to use very little water.
I will give you a rough gide, but as always practise makes perfect.

Start with a 50/50 alcohol/water solution and wet the cores just lightly, then start to add comp in tiny amounts,be patient!
When the cores start picking it up add another spray.
As the stars grow u can increase the doses of powder and solution,and use 40/60 or 30/70 solution.
If the stars begin to ''bump'' you can add a dose of powder and let the machine roll for 15 minutes.

Very good instructions can be found on Passfire, another good reason to join.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#5 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 04:49 PM

Thnx Jerronimo for this explanation

So other comps are easier to roll. basicly the ones that don't have any C content.

Does it depend from the binder aswell as i hear that red gum comps are easier to roll.

#6 chris17

chris17

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 05:26 PM

I've been wondering, how important is the speed of the roller. My stars tend to build chunks, especially with Chrys. comps. Would it perhaps help to increase speed?

#7 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:33 AM

It is working B)

I tried using less solvent and only a pinch of comp at a time, and the stars are not building any chunks.

I'm also doing it in a wok right now, yesterday i was using a similar shaped glass bowl wich had ribs in it and that might have caused the problem.

Thnx again Jerronimo ;)

#8 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:54 AM

This problem tends to affect stars with a lot of fine charcoal or lampblack in them. Charoal star comps are easier to roll if they are not milled to air float, but IMHO, the effect is not as good.

I.P.P says that if your stars have already begun to spike, you can wet them as much as possible and then roll them until the spikes/bumps are flattened out. I had the perfect opportunity to try this out the other day. I wet them, and left the roller running whilst I tidied my shelves for five minutes. It did indeed flatten out the bumps.

It isn't actually a bad thing to have a bit of a bumpy surface on you completed stars, as this helps with ignition, like the corners of a cut star, so don't flatten out the last layer.

#9 rooster

rooster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the good tips guys! Today I have been rolling chrysantemum 6, which was kinda hard to roll, the stars looked like raspberries when done :D

The fish golden glitter with atomized Al in it worked better, but still not spherical stars. I will try some more with chrysantemum 6 now that I read this thread, hopefully the results are good.
My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But, ah, my foes, and, oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light.

#10 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:31 PM

Did you use comp. straight out of the mill, or why did the stars look like raspberries after rolling :o

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#11 rooster

rooster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:29 PM

Yeah I used the comp straight out of the mill. Milled for 45 minutes, airfloat fine, almost.

I just tried some more chrysantemum 6, as I am doing a comparison on spruce VS. pine for sparks. The stars still get raspberry-like! It really sucks, so now I took your tip Phoenix, and wet them alot, so now I'll let them roll for 15minutes.

Should I maybe granulate the star comps, mill it for 5min then roll the stars?
My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But, ah, my foes, and, oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light.

#12 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 03:30 PM

Something around 100mesh is best for rolling crysanthemum!

A tip:

Granulate the comp through a kitchensieve, dry it and then re-mill mit for a fews minutes. Thats quite good for rolling, then.
This looks very fine, too. But anyway it is not airfloat anymore.

I hope this helps....

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#13 1145climber

1145climber

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:52 PM

hey... just wondering, i was looking at united nuclears directions for star rolling Here

when i was reading at the bottom how they used lead pellets as the cores of these stars, it dawned on me that this cant be a good idea. i mean, with hundreds of stars shot in all directions after a shell break, i wouldnt want little lead pellets to be flying through the air once all the stars are done burning, especially if they might get near the crowd. so, is this method really not a problem because the lead melts and burns up, or does anyone agree that it is a really dumb idea? (like the majority of UN's site....?)

#14 burningbush

burningbush

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:15 PM

Yes if the core is small enough.
Ive heard of people that use lead cores and they do burn up or disperse if your star comps is hot enough.
But I wouldnt use lead for cores ,
use prills or tapioca there lighter and cheaper.
I think rolling stars is like making a snowman, you dont need a canon ball to start the snow man.
[COLOR=purple][SIZE=1][FONT=Impact][B]
I love it! I can buy a pack of smokes which will hurt me for sure! Yet theres a 1000 laws in place to protect me from myself . I guess its ok to harm your self if its slow and will help the economy.

#15 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:08 AM

Why use poisones lead as cores? We are spreadng enough toxic heavy metals in the enviroment by using the chemicals we use today. Everything we dump in the nature will get back to us sooner or later in one form or another.

I rolled my first stars on pumped stars. It was really easy, and when I knew how it was done I used millet seeds instead. You can use any seed really. I have found that very small paticles in the red gum (like sand and other hard black stuff) makes stars when rolling. I start with a spoon of about 200 seeds and end up with many many more stars.
Whe I first read in Shimizu about skilled stars rolles that used sand I was really impressed, and never thought I would be abel to use sand as cores. But the truth is that a crubmly composition can be used as cores!
Dextrine based stars are easier to roll (with a 50:50 solution). Shellac is a bit harder (about 70% alcohol) and red gum is a real pain to roll with a high alcohol content spray. It gets really sticky/slimey, and the stars don't grow!

I have never used a wok to make stars but it seems in efficient. I you really like your pyro hoby, build a roller. A speed controller is good to have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users