• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 boris_73

boris_73

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:12 PM

sorry if this has been posted before but i can not find any like it, anyway the original dragon egg mixture was red lead and aluminium but they have changed it to a more safer mixture does anybody know what this mixture is

#2 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 07:48 PM

I did a search on "dragon" and one of the first links was THIS:

klick me

:rolleyes:

Edited by paul, 29 November 2004 - 07:48 PM.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#3 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 07:55 PM

I'm very tempted to make those i but just can seem to find any bismuth trioxide.

Anyone knoe where to get it. At relativly cheap prices .

#4 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 08:57 PM

Anyone knoe where to get it?
Yes

At relativly cheap prices?
Well relative to each other yes, but relative to how cheap it should be, pritty difficult. Best I can find is ?140 / kilo. Although for dragons eggs You may only need 100g to get 14 quids worth of fun. I'll let people know if I hunt down some for less than ?50 / kilo.

Regards

Steve

I'm very tempted to make those i but  just can seem to find any bismuth trioxide.

Anyone knoe where to get it. At relativly cheap prices .

View Post

Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#5 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:09 PM

Skylighter sells BismuthTrioxide for $21.49 per pound and they *will* ship it to the UK.

That works out at about ?30 / kilo I reckon. Even with delivery on top it's the best price yet. Way safer than that nasty redlead stuff as well!

Shame about the long delivery times though....

#6 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:18 PM

Steve.

On your webpage you have red lead but you also mention "This is not the correct lead oxide for crackling microstars (dragons? eggs)" ? but from what i have read it is the correct type?..

#7 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:28 PM

I bought some BismuthTrioxide from skylighter, and the the shipping was relative fast. I were not abel to find BismuthTrioxide any where else.

Does enyone know if it is possible to use 74micrometer MgAl? Or maby a mixture of Mg and Al powders?

#8 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, I got a bit confused when writing that. I've been meaning to change it. I've found a source in the Uk which would mean I could sell at ?30/kilo If i buy 25kg though. What is the interest in this material? If I knew I could sell 10kg I'd go with it. Plus I can get a free sample of Gallium metal if I make an order! I've been after a nugget of that metal since I was about 12.

Steve
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#9 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:49 PM

Is that Bismuth Trioxide?

#10 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:59 PM

Yeah

#11 boris_73

boris_73

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 08:25 PM

does anybody know the cost of delivery for about 2 pounds of Bismuth Trioxide from skylighter because i would prefer using Bismuth Trioxide then Red Lead although i can get 500g of Red lead for ?4.20 ex VAT

Edit: also can you make Dragon egg's from just Lead oxide (Red lead) and Aluminium if so what would the ratio be because that page which was posted used other chemicals which would effect the amount of aluminium need ect.

Edited by boris_73, 01 December 2004 - 08:40 PM.

#12 boris_73

boris_73

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 03:22 PM

where would i be able to buy some lead oxide (Red lead) because i was going to buy it from timstar along with some aluminium powder and they have asked if i am going to order them could i tell them what i want it for and i dont want to say its for Pyrotechnics

#13 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 03:55 PM

Tell them that you're using red lead for protectiong against corrosion

#14 boris_73

boris_73

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:03 PM

and the aluminium, anyway i have had a look at inoxia even though you pay double the amount for the lead oxide( Red Lead) you pay the same amount for the aluminium and you get 500g instead of 250g so it works out close to the same price well it would work out if i got the same of every thing eg 500g of aluminium and 500g of Lead oxide ( Red Lead) im only paying about ?5 more and i dont see why they would bother asking me what its for considering they are a Pyrotechnics supplier

#15 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:16 PM

Guys,

A word of advice when dealing with suppliers. Be upfront, confident and *Tell the truth.*

"I'll be mixing it with Black Copper Oxide, and an alloy of Aluminium/Magnesium to get a very specific pyrotechnic crackling effect"

might get you the odd knock back, but it shows a maturity of attitude that will get you a lot of respect long term.

I am personally proud of my hobby and feel that lying about it only bolsters the fears of the populace about fireworks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users