Falling Leaves Shells

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Daniel Scott_*

Guest_Daniel Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2004 - 01:28 PM

I have been doing some experimenting with these shells and I have had one that worked very well I thought I would start a topic on the matter to see if I could gain any more info. Here is a short description of how I constrcuted such a shell.

For anyone who doesn't know the effect here is a long exposure shot of ones from japan.

Posted Image

And here is some shots of my falling leaf shell construction. Its a 3" plastic shell.

First the time fuse is installed. I use visco as I have no time fuse. A few wraps of masking tape and hot glue do well.

Posted Image

Next is a shot of the leaves we will be using in this shell.

Posted Image

Now 25 leaves are loaded into each hemi like so.

Posted Image

Then the burst is placed in around the leaves to fill in most of the gaps. The burst here is meal on puffed rice.

Posted Image

Don't worry about the leaves being "spongy" because the spring like nature makes the shell contents nice and settled when closed like so using a scrap piece of kraft to stop the contents spilling out.

Posted Image

Next the shell is sealed with xylene. I like to use a sprinkler attachment to drip the solvent in the seam of the shell.

You should turn the shell so the excess solvent runs around the seam until the drop of solvent goes away. After this time the shell seam will be sufficiently soft to close it.

Posted Image

Now the shell is really close by sticking it in a vice. A small lip of shell hemi should appear at the seam when close in the vice. Don't squash it, just enough to get a lip.

Posted Image

Now the shell is dried until you can't scratch the seam with a finger nail. Then a lift pouch, lift charge and leader with an appropriate length of fuse delay is attached. Then the shell is done.

Now disscusion of leaf construction, compositions or anything related to these shells should be discussed here. Go for it!

Just some info on my leaves. They are soaked in granite comp. They burn a red colour if not coated properly but with flashes of blue (for some reason the comp burns blue with paper...) when they float in the air. So I think you could make red leaves just my soaking the paper in KNO3 solution, sort of like touch powder. Just some info for anyone who wants to try. At least everyone can make red leaves! All you need is KNO3 (at least I think it will work)

#2 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 03:53 PM

The "tutorial" looks very nice and nearly everything comes clear to me. BUT: When the shell bursts, doesn?t all the papers burn at once and leave no real effect?

I would love to see a video of these shells :)

And one question to the leaves: Do you prepare a cup of zinc spreader (granite) comp with dextrne inw ater and let the paper (which paper?) soak in it?

Followed by hanging them up for drying?

To your idea on KNO3 soaked papers: In my opinion they would only give a quite weak light, so the effect should be very "lonely".

Edited by paul, 18 December 2004 - 03:57 PM.

#3 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 04:24 PM

Have you tested it yet Daniel.

What's the burn time of the falling leaves

And as paul stated the paper would ignite all at once leaving a very short effect.

#4 castillareno

castillareno

pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 09:37 PM

I have been doing some experimenting with these shells and I have had one that
Next is a shot of the leaves we will be using in this shell.

Posted Image

Now 25 leaves are loaded into each hemi like so.

Posted Image

Please, what exact composition you have used in the formula of failling leaves ? :huh:

And another question: the paper that you use for make the leaves ( fall down and are hot perfectly) it is a special paper ? :o

I congratulate you on the photos: However an image says much more than thousand words. They are marvellous photos in the filling of the CARCASA!!!

Sorry: I write with web-translator spanish- english / english-spanish. :blush:

Edited by castillareno, 18 December 2004 - 09:48 PM.

#5 Guest_Daniel Scott_*

Guest_Daniel Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2004 - 12:39 AM

CASTILLARENO, the composition that I used was Weingart Granite Stars:

Potassium nitrate - 14
Sulfur - 2.5
Charcoal - 7
Zinc dust - 40
Dextrin - 1

The paper I used was ordinary kraft paper, or brown paper.

No the papers don't they only seem to light from each end which is dipped in meal slurry to prime it. The burn time I witnessed for these particular leaves was about 10-15 seconds hang time before burning out.

I prepar a small bowl the comp and water it down to a slurry. Then dump all the bits of paper in and let it soak and mix it up by hand. Then I pull then out and let them dry (obviously excess comp gets squeezed off by hand) on a large wire mesh. The mesh has holes about 1x1cm. Leave them in the sun and they dry in about an hour.

#6 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:44 AM

Ok, nice description of that progress, Daniel :)

I think I have to try that.

Keep it up, I liked your pics/description/way to explain it :D

#7 castillareno

castillareno

pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 05:41 PM

CASTILLARENO, the composition that I used was Weingart Granite Stars:

Potassium nitrate - 14
Sulfur - 2.5
Charcoal - 7
Zinc dust - 40?
Dextrin - 1

The paper I used was ordinary kraft paper, or brown paper.

Daniel... :glare: And ANOTHER composition MAKE WITH POTASSIUM PERCHLORATE
( RED, example) or PINK, etc... TRIED FOR YOU ???

The metallic colours made with POTASSIUM PERCHLORATE (NO CHLORATE) and AL/MG (NO MAGNESIUM) they are my favorites. :rolleyes:

Edited by castillareno, 19 December 2004 - 05:58 PM.

#8 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:13 AM

Any video of the leaves in action? And these blue leaves you've got drying?

I had thought that falling leaves usually consisted of stars glued to paper. Not actually burning the paper itself. It seems like you've created something like a touch paper shell. Another way the effect can be emulated is by using strands of very slow burning fuse, but I've never really seen good falling leaves, so have nothing to compare to.

BLUE STROBE FALLING LEAVES (Eric McCaskie)
57,5 Guanidine nitrate
22,5 Ammonium perchlorate
7,5 Copper metal (80-150 mesh)
5,0 CuO (3 ?m)
7,5 PVC (emulsion grade)

This last composition is consolidated with MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), cut to rectangular prisms and after drying, glued to small kraft paper squares and finally primed with a slurry of hot burning prime.

I've wanted to try these leaves for a while, but I'm not sure about Guanidine Nitrate :ph34r:

Mabye a slow burning lance comp would be a good idea for making leaves... Anyone seen any other formula for falling leaves? Details of construction? Surely there's a half-decent way of achieving the effect without glueing hundreds of stars to pieces of paper :wacko:

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 20 December 2004 - 03:00 PM.

#9 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:07 PM

The common way for falling leaves is the one Daniel used.

I should imagine the method used by Eric was only done because of difficulties with the procedure of coating the paper with composition or the effects of this coating on the correct burning of the leaves. Hence they would work better as stars.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#10 chris17

chris17

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:39 PM

I took the challenge to try to make one of those shells. However, instead of spherical, i decided to go with a cylindrical shell, since they are less laborous to make IMO. As for the leaves, I coated pieces of newspaper with Charcoal rich Chrysanthemum type mix.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And finally, the video:

http://chrisu.arkdan...ling_leaves.mpg

As you can interpret the video, the result wasn't what i hoped for. I must say i'm not too satisfied with the results, as i was expecting something bit more spectacular. Considering that the shell was only 4,5 cm diam. , my guess is that a larger shell(= larger leaves) will improve the effect.

#11 Guest_Daniel Scott_*

Guest_Daniel Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:15 AM

I don't think leaves are meant to have fire dust comps on them. Passfire suggests a slow lance comp so it can soak into the paper.

#12 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:40 AM

Has anyone considered pasting a thin layer of lance comp between 2 sheets of paper?

I don't have any literature at hand, but I'm quite sure Shimizu has described the technique.

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 20 January 2005 - 12:58 PM.

#13 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:50 PM

Maybe the leaves shape should be more squarish than rectangular. And the shells timefuse was too short I think! It exploded half the way up.

Anyway: Nice video, but too bright background light :)

#14 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:24 PM

I cant seem to watch that video. I just get this in the middle of the webpage:

Posted Image

Any ideas why?
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#15 Pretty green flames