• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 fireball85

fireball85

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

Hey all im new here and new to pyros in all. I need to know how to use some maroons (small) appear as if they are blowing a small crater. The effect i would like is one i have been told could be achieved by digging a small hole with the marroon placed in, then covering with a bit of compost. This way when it is detonated the compost goes flying everywhere much like when a shell hits the ground, but being soft it will not hurt anyone.
I also want to know how i could create a cloud of smoke that would appear as if something had been blown up.

P.S. this is for a cadet exercise and we do not have a huge budget to spend on pyros

#2 burrelly

burrelly

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:25 PM

This is a really effect to achieve.

Depending on the size of the maroon depends on how large it will be.

Yes diging a small hole and covering it in compost will work and look like a small explosive on the ground.

Add some fullers earth and it will give it the more of a dust type explosion.
Hawkairsoft

#3 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:52 AM

"Hey all im new here and new to pyros in all."

Is that to say you have never handled such things before? I am a bit scared that you are setting out to do this without any tests / rehersals etc. As simple as it may sound, there are a number of factors to take into consideration when trying to achieve such an effect.

When you say 'small', what charge size are you meaning (in grams)?. Is it a BP maroon, flash maroon, NC maroon; is it paper cased, plastic, tube?

What proximity to people will it be? What sort of ground will it be placed in? (I ask this because stones in the ground present a serious shrapnel projection hazard). If the effect will be conducted in rough, stone-y ground, then you really should use a 'mortar' (a steel directional tube, pan etc) to direct the effect safely.

As to the authenticity of the effect - what size munition are you wanting to simulate? If you have ever seen any real ordinance in training you will see that you cannot really replicate the effect by just using some 'compost' (I dont suggest you use real compost - who wants to covered with rotting vegetable matter! - I suggest wood chips and peat and maybe the 'fake' garden centre 'compost'; not real compost at all - more peat than anything else). You may want to use some lampblack / black poster paint to give the 'TNT' black smoke effect, or some napthalene to give a quick flash of flame (DO NOT USE PETROL / DIESEL!)

This may sound intimidating, but it's just to show that it's not just about 'dig a hole, put your maroon in and cover it', especially if it is in the vicinity of people.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#4 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 04:46 AM

I agree with adam, you don't want to just put crud on top of this incindiary charge! I also assume you'll be igniting this via electricity, so make sure you've got all of those ends covered (good system, proper safety within the system, a sound ignition network) but I do suggest using napthalene; I've used it before and it gives a nice effect (I recommend a respirator) sine it's your first time experimenting with this stuff, don't use pvc/metal, since there are some things bound to go wrong. Start small, and do some solid tests before using it within the proximity of anything.I actually think a healthily-small amount of gas/napth makes a nice rolling effect, but start without using gas for sure, since it does make some residual flames (also make sure the ground around it isn't prarie-fire prone)
that's all
mini
When one plays with fire, one is bound to get burndt.

#5 Douchermann

Douchermann

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:09 AM

Like adam said, use some napthalene to make an interesting fireball. Use grat caution, but make a blackpowder device (with say 30% napthalene mixed in). This will give out black smoke and a nice fireball.

#6 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:18 PM

nap is meant to be pretty good, but i've never managed to find it. appartently it's sold in moth balls, but i can't see it.

#7 Douchermann

Douchermann

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:50 PM

If you live in the US:
Sears - garden section/general utilites.
Meijier - garden section (lot more expensive) and general insecticides section

#8 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:56 AM

Naphthalene is great for fireballs (note correct spelling of Naphthalene), but don't breathe in the smoke as it's a carcinogen. There's plenty of info about it if you just google "Naphthalene"

Edited by Mortartube, 01 August 2005 - 08:58 AM.

Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#9 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:24 PM

If you live in the US:
Sears - garden section/general utilites.
Meijier - garden section (lot more expensive) and general insecticides section

View Post

i'm in scotland.

#10 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:19 PM

You are going to have to buy a lot of mothballs to make a sufficient quantity of naphthalene (and now some are made with a different material). You are better off buying in bulk. If anyone is interested, please let me know and I will enquire into a 50kg order from my supplier. Minimum 5kg per person.

#11 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:21 PM

You are going to have to buy a lot of mothballs to make a sufficient quantity of naphthalene (and now some are made with a different material). You are better off buying in bulk. If anyone is interested, please let me know and I will enquire into a 50kg order from my supplier. Minimum 5kg per person.

View Post

at what price?

#12 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:55 PM

I dont know yet because I haven't had any signs of interest, therefore I cannot calculate the price for the required quantity.

#13 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:12 PM

i'm interested.

thanks.(in 5kg of nap).

btw, how effective is kno3/sucrose smoke at night?

same goes for compost/bp thingys.

thanks.

#14 Ghost_Walker

Ghost_Walker

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:34 PM

ok heres the deal with smoke at night.....

its dark...you cant see anything anyway...and smoke will just make you choke and smell funny...now if you are using nightvision you might see throught it (UV nightvision) or see a green cloud of smoke (regular NV)

as for the battlefield sims...you must use extra caution and know where your players/actors etc are at all times...since you dont want to detonate them while someone is too close....but for visuals i would say that a sim with napthalene would make a cool spectacle at night...just be safe

#15 delta_echo

delta_echo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:03 AM

In addition to the compost, cement (not concrete) powder really adds to the effect while keeping the charges a reasonable size. The fine powder of the cement also means that there is no problem with high-speed flying particles. This was used with great success in an amateur war film.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users