• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1145climber

1145climber

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:33 PM

Hey. i was planning on making either tiger tails or C6 stars in the next day or two. After doing lots of research, ive come across the recipies, and a detailed way to make them, similar to the BP CIA method. not having alcohol to use as well as not wanting to deal with boiling then freezing and blah blah blah, i was wondering if it was possible to make charcoal stars with as good of an effect, but with a different process....? maybe just milling the composition together and then wetting and pumping/cutting? anything else?

the sites ive seen say that these stars need to be made using a 'wet process'... obviously the CIA method is wet, but maybe something else too?

i remember someone talking about boiling the complete composition down until there was basically no wtaer left and not having to use alcohol, but i cant find the thread anymore. also, sorry if this has been discussed, i did a few searches and couldnt find a direct answer. any help is appreciated. thanks.

p.s. - i wasnt sure which forum this belonged in, sorry if its in the wrong one

Edited by 1145climber, 25 June 2005 - 08:38 PM.

#2 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:35 AM

I just mill C6 for a few hours, then dampen and pump. Works fine.

#3 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 11:31 AM

I think it was heinz who said sth about the boiling-method.... For people with a small-capacity ball mill like me the method works out better I think.

boil it all together, tirr very well. The mixture is unignitable even with about 25% water in it. But you have to stir it very well to distribute the water through the whole mixture to not get hot spots in the pans bottom that could ignite.

Then take that stuff out and rub it through a windowscreen or sieve. let it dry in the sun. Later ball mill it again for a few minutes to get it to the right particle size (NOT airfloat)

This method worked very well for me.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#4 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 04:10 PM

Milling without any water or alkohol works good for me.
Shimizu says nothing about a "wet process" in his book. Only ball mill untill a fine powder.

#5 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:23 PM

I usually boil it without alcohol then mill it. I also made a post about the process here.

Edited by Phoenix, 26 June 2005 - 07:24 PM.

#6 1145climber

1145climber

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:38 PM

hey all, thanks so much, thats exactly what i was lookng for. im thinking of making a big batch, and splitting it up into two and trying different methods and then comparing. ill post the results once i get to test it out later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users