• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 10:43 PM

I have created a new forum for the discussion of low and high explosives and how they are applied in Special FX. Please note discussion of HE beyond this scope is unappropriate for this forum and such posts will be removed.

[Edited on 26-5-2003 by Richard H]

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 01:57 PM

Partly... Stuff more like the use of primacord for fireballs, or aluminium based AFE's at airshows.

Another example, Use of HE in bullet hit squibs. Adam W is our resident expert on special effects, and he'll no doubt be guiding conversation in this field of pyrotechnics.

Mr Johnsohn is welcome to talk about EOD work too, this forum is about the professional application of explosives, whether it be for SFX, demolition, or military technology.

What we don't want is to turn this forum into an anarchists cookbook.

[Edited on 27-5-2003 by Richard H]

#3 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 03:40 PM

btw is someone going to start post in here some time soon?should be interesting to see what people come up with. looking forward to some of adam's posts especialy.:bounce:

#4 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 08:56 PM

Thanks. Remember though, this is for bouncing ideas around everone, not an 'Ask Adam' session, although I'm happy to help.

#5 robert johnson

robert johnson

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 07:29 PM

Does any body else have any experience to lifting fish out the water or stunning them ? the record I have when working with Five Australian guys in Taiwan is over 500 when a shawl was swimming past. and we sold the all to the locals.

#6 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 08:03 PM

Wasn't fishing with dynamite outlawed a long time ago?

#7 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 12:21 AM

FISHIN' MAGICIAN. The locals must have been a hungry looking bunch Mr. Johnson. Darn near humanitarian of you.;)

#8 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 10:47 AM

I dont think Jesus would have approved!

#9 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:58 PM

fished for mackerel once, caught a lot, it's fun, maybe 30 mackerel.

#10 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:23 PM

underwater is a whole new ball game all your velocities of propagation change+ the dam stuff doesnt compress like air in films you get a beautiful waterplume with each bang ive tried shallow detonations, shaped charges, short of sinking a chimney like structure then firing it like an underwater cannon anyone willing to reveal how its done on a small scale or pm me its not my business im just curious - and yes i do know what curiosity did to the cat i was surprised to read of anyone advocating sawdust and charcoal mix when that stuff detonates beware i watched a 50 gramme charge from 20m back cctv camera exit one camera!!! best left alone havent managed a waterplume but you do get fish as a bonus prize for trying
protodezine@gmail.com

#11 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:54 AM

it looks like a waterplume will remain a mystery all i get is a loud click or crack followed by a gas and smoke bubble . ah well at least the fish find it stunning!!!!!
protodezine@gmail.com

#12 McTodd

McTodd

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

it looks like a waterplume will remain a mystery...

In one of my books at home (I'm currently at work), there's a brief description of how they did the water plumes for the 1970 film 'Tora Tora Tora'. Because water is so hard to scale, they didn't actually make water plumes, but rather they used 'buckets' of gypsum (IIRC, I'll check later) floating just below the surface of the water (presumably with a thin watertight covering) and a charge under the gypsum, rather like the SFX 'mortars' used on land for shell explosions. The charge blew the gypsum up into the air which looks convincingly like a large water plume. The shot would have to cut away quickly, however, as the gypsum just remains suspended in the air far longer than water.

I suspect they used much the same technique in 'Sink the Bismarck'.

#13 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

To get a water plume your charge has to be floating just under the surface. Otherwise it sinks and you get a lovely thud and a little smoke. At night it does look very good though, as the water lights up beautifully surrounding it.

#14 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:00 AM

a friend of mine whom is a gun enthusiast asked me if there is a composition he could load into his shotgun shells ( minus the lead of coarse ) to produce a ( sheet lightning effect ), i asked " something like a tracer" his reply was no, something more like a bright light flash from the barrell,,

Any ideas ?

and one more quick one,,,,, is barium chloride any good for green or do i need to chlorate it ?

#15 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:55 AM

like this?:

http://en.wikipedia....gonbreath_round

You'd need Zirconium. Probably best to buy them!

IIRC, you can make NC-based flame projectors with the Chloride. To make good green stars you'll ideally need Barium Nitrate/Perchlorate/Chlorate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users