Consumer fireworks displaying competition

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:42 PM

-_- Now that MLE or any other company no longer does a consumer fireworks displaying competition, is there anyone out there who could sort out/plan and organise such an event for UKR? We'd need;
A location that is easy to get to,
Some land whose owner doesn't mind us using,
Various UKR competitors displaying using Cat2/Cat3 material,
A good Cat4 display to end the event,
and a BBQ and beers to round off with;all the members sitting round it drinking/smoking/eating and chatting away about the night's event afterwards.

A private event is better than a public event then there is less liability and stuff;everyone is responsible for their own firing/safety arrangements etc and all we need is landowner's permission and notification of the local residents/police and firebrigade in the area.

What does everybody else think? :wub: :wub: :wub:

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:06 PM

If your volunteering to organise it!

#3 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:34 PM

Ha Ha Ha... can tell silly season is almost upon us..
Can almost hear the gears clicking in Richards head on that one and the little voice saying..You organise it and we will find something to shoot :)

Arnt we just suckers for punishment.

On the other hand, I would like to see the semi pro championships wether it is competitive or social reresurected. There is a lot of tallent out there but no where for people to show what they can do.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#4 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:58 AM

MLE stopped the competition and turned it into a pro comp because they couldn't get the appropriate insurance;if it was private, and done on private land as a social event for UKR members ONLY i.e. no gangs/no kids/no youths/no teenagers/no prats/no gatecrashers/no families/no idiots etc then the need for risk assessments/insurance etc would be greatly reduced and people would take responsibility for their own safety/firing arrangements etc, that would suit me to the ground than officialdom getting in the way and ruling everybody unfairly aka UKFR review nights where everyone has to watch what a firework retailer/importer/distributor/manufacturer or company lets off at 25m away, everyone is cajouled and marshalled behind a rope upwind of the fireworks with some snooty hiviz coated or vested stewards in wellies smoking banning the use of personal sparklers ordering people off who have and use them and no-one is ever allowed to touch/feel/smell/fire/kiss/hug/cuddle/handle (and even eat!) their Cat3 25m and Cat2 5m wares at all. Takes the fun out of diy displaying! My ideal would be;
Someone who has given permission for their land to be used for the event i.e. a big open field and UKR members only being allowed to it, everyone firing their wares then clearing up afterwards, a good Cat4 display to close and round off then a patio heater round a table or some sort of fire/BBQ where members can sit round drinking/eating/smoking and chatting about the night's fun. Better than a UKFR review night where officialdom/health and safety and restrictions are the norm! :wacko: :unsure: :o

Edited by Anthony, 05 September 2005 - 07:29 AM.

#5 curious aardvark

curious aardvark

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:34 PM

It's that big empty field away from livestock, storage sheds, forestry, wingeing gits etc that's always the problem :-)
Don't know of one off hand, anyone else ?
Do All things with Honour and generosity: Regret nothing, Envy no-one, Apologise seldom and bow your head to No Man - works for me :-)
Oh yeah and never leave home without a lighter :-)

#6 ChesterPFX

ChesterPFX

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:46 PM

that would suit me to the ground than officialdom getting in the way and ruling everybody unfairly aka UKFR review nights where everyone has to watch what a firework retailer/importer/distributor/manufacturer or company lets off at 25m away, everyone is cajouled and marshalled behind a rope upwind of the fireworks with some snooty hiviz coated or vested stewards in wellies smoking banning the use of personal sparklers
My ideal would be;
a good Cat4 display to close
Better than a UKFR review night where officialdom/health and safety and restrictions are the norm! :wacko: :unsure: :o

Yeah, lets just ignore the guidelines eh, much more fun that way. 25m safety distances - pah, there only for the plebs that buy a selection box, why should we have to do that eh?
Want to use a pro company to fire the Cat 4 at the end? Don't ask me: I've just done the risk assessment and "computer says no"
Health & safety is there for a reason you know.

Love the idea of a semi - pro comp but would neeed much tighter control thenyou propose I'm afraid.

#7 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:52 AM

:) All very well, BUT it's more fun to stage and do your own private shows in a private non-public semipro competition with UKR members own Cat2 5m stuff and Cat3 25m stuff on a private field than have a company do it all for you, setting off the Cat3 and everybody stuck behind a rope at 25m and not being allowed to have sparklers by snooty powermad obnoxious safety stewards in high viz coats and wellies;DIY displaying in a private semipro event is far better and more fun and allows people to share knowledge and knowhow when displaying and look at each others items and judge each other's efforts I would prefer that to your proshow where NOBODY is allowed to touch OR get a look in!!!!!!!!!! PS Strict rejeim of overalls/hardhats/eardefenders and faceshields or goggles and safety boots or safety wellies FOR EVERYBODY WHEN SETTING UP AND LIGHTING NO EXCEPTION? Yeah right. Sit round a bonfire or some sort of fire afterwards sweating cobwebs in overalls etc drinking/smoking/eating and talking pyro afterwards? Too right under your rejeem. Why should UKR people have to dress like they work on a building site to let off Cat2/Cat3 fireworks in a private UKR organised semipro competition event? Explain that to me ChesterPFX if you can. Also everyone would be using a mix of Cat2 and Cat3 single and pack items and maybe selection boxes so get thought out of your head RIGHT NOW! :angry:

Edited by Anthony, 22 September 2005 - 07:37 AM.

#8 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:50 AM

Who shoved a rocket up your arse? And why are you so opposed to well organised, safe events? Are you suggesting I let an uncontrolled crowd, regardless of size wonder around a firing site with live Cat. 4 material in situe? Are you mad?

You make it sound like people are unwilling to wear PPE, when everyone I know always wears it. We've already had this debate. And like I said, if it pisses you off so much why don't YOU organise an event and see who turns up.

I recently attended a Category 3 demonstration, where practically everyone in the crowd were UKFR forum members inc myself. We didn't have any issues standing behind the safety barrier, a good 40 metres away. Why does it bother you so much? We had a quick look at the fireworks, but we didn't sit next to them when they were going off! And yes, the single firer was in full PPE, quite rightly too.

#9 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:22 AM

Richard H, you are overreacting!!! I DIDN'T SAY OR MEAN let a unrestricted crowd onto private ground setting off Cat4.Stop taking things out of proportion sit up and listen for a change(if you'll do that). If you had been listening clearly (and obviously you weren't!), what I was implying was;a semipro competition with UKR members displaying with shopgoods Cat2/Cat3 garden and display firework fodder from retail outlets!!! THAT IS WHAT I MEANT NOT AN UNRESTRICTED CAT4 PYROFEST AS YOU WRONGLY POINT OUT. Listen carefully and clearly to what is said instead of making a drama out of a crisis as you have done :angry:

Edited by Anthony, 22 September 2005 - 09:50 AM.

#10 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:55 AM

Richard H, you are overreacting!!! I DIDN'T SAY OR MEAN let a unrestricted crowd onto private ground setting off Cat4.Stop taking things out of proportion sit up and listen for a change(if you'll do that). If you had been listening clearly (and obviously you weren't!), what I was implying was;a semipro competition with UKR members displaying with shopgoods Cat2/Cat3 garden and display firework fodder from retail outlets!!! THAT IS WHAT I MEANT NOT AN UNRESTRICTED CAT4 PYROFEST AS YOU WRONGLY POINT OUT. Listen carefully and clearly to what is said instead of making a drama out of a crisis as you have done :angry:

Anthony - I (let alone senior administrators) am starting to take offence at the tone of your writing. A piece of advice would be to change your emotive stance.
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#11 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:14 AM

I know exactly what you said, and your treading on very thin ground, so watch it. I am getting tired of your childish tone, and I doubt I am the only one. Why don't you organise an event Anthony, instead of whinging when someone else actually gets off their arse and organises something. You mentioned Cat. 4 finale in your posts, when this is involved you have to stick by the rules! This means PPE in ANY case.

#12 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2005 - 01:57 PM

I am sorry ChesterPFX for my slagging off of your reasoning behind health and safety and why it is necessary for such an event;fireworks are NOT infallible and CAN go wrong injuring the user or other people without warning. :( :( :(

Edited by Anthony, 22 September 2005 - 03:13 PM.

#13 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2005 - 02:13 PM

:( OK Rhodri and Richard H, I am very sorry to both of you for what I have said. I realise now that health and safety when organising an event of this kind MUST COME FIRST AND IS PARAMOUNT AT ALL TIMES. It cannot be any other way under any circumstances whatsoever. You CANNOT have an unrestricted free-for-all whatsoever with people firing Cat2/Cat3 willynilly and no thought given to health and safety;if an accident occurred or someone got burned/injured through not wearing PPE while firing, then who would pick up the pieces? Very upset, crying indeed and so sorry to both of you and I would like to also say sorry especially to Chester PFX who I badmouthed and criticised. :( :( :(

Edited by Anthony, 22 September 2005 - 03:45 PM.

#14 ChesterPFX

ChesterPFX

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:02 PM

PS Strict rejeim of overalls/hardhats/eardefenders and faceshields or goggles and safety boots or safety wellies FOR EVERYBODY WHEN SETTING UP AND LIGHTING NO EXCEPTION? Yeah right.

Yup. Full PPE if hand firing, no exeptions. Want to fire a Cat 4 display without it? Not on a crew with me. Electric firing, still want to see safety boots and gloves being worn during set up. Read the PDF doc on this link

Sit round a bonfire or some sort of fire afterwards sweating cobwebs in overalls etc drinking/smoking/eating and talking pyro afterwards? Too right under your rejeem.

Oh yeah, dream on. Fire the display. Quick drink (non alcoholic) whilst waiting for cool down / hang fires then start clear up (lasts at least 2 hours on a small show) then load the van and drive back then unload the van.

Why should UKR people have to dress like they work on a building site to let off Cat2/Cat3 fireworks in a private UKR organised semipro competition event? Explain that to me ChesterPFX if you can. Also everyone would be using a mix of Cat2 and Cat3 single and pack items and maybe selection boxes so get thought out of your head RIGHT NOW! :angry:

And where did I say that you had to wear full PPE to fire 2 & 3? I mentioned safety distances.
At the end of the day, you can do what you want; but when something goes wrong and it makes the papers that the BPS held an event and a cake flashed over and blew out, and that the firer was injured because he wasn't protected and 6 spectators were hurt who were standing feet away, it won't be leaving the BPS in a very strong position will it.

I see you apologised to me for "slagging me off", sadly it appears that your posts have been edited prior to me getting to read them.

#15 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:38 PM

:) OK OK, I get it. If something was arranged in the form of a semipro event by UKR where members fire Cat2/Cat3, health and safety has to come first and be paramount at all times no exceptions, these would be sensible guidelines for any such event to ensure the health safety and welfare of UKR members;
ALL firers MUST wear hard hat/suitable face or eye protection/gloves/safety boots/safety shoes or safety wellies while firing their gear, anyone who doesn't wear this will be disqualified from the competition, asked to remove their fireworks and leave,
ALL firers MUST only fire their rockets towards the agreed dropzone,
Where appropriate, fireworks MUST be secured by means of stakes/tape and/or wire OR if it can be catered for, firers can use wooden boards to stand level flat bottomed fireworks on if desired,
NO bad behaviour towards others namecalling/violence/unpleasantness etc, as those responsible will be asked to leave,
NO dangerous practices;holding lit fireworks,throwing lit fireworks,going back to those which haven't gone off or are slow to do so, those engaging in these will be asked to leave,
NO firing after 11pm.

I can now fully see what Richard H/Rhodri/ChesterPFX and others are all saying and after some thought and understanding of your reasoning why (after yesterday's little pop at you Richard and my personal slagging off of you ChesterPFX), I DO agree that safety is the prime priority and concern of all of you;if UKR had an unrestricted Cat2/Cat3 pyrofest without such controls/rules to ensure the health safety and welfare of people at the event incl those who are firing and taking part and something serious in the form of an accident happened i.e. a firer getting burned or injured through not wearing PPE, a cake tipping over and shooting everywhere, and people watching getting hurt by a rogue faulty unsecured firework, then if it made headlines in a local or national newspaper(and negative paper headlines about firework accidents is what NOBODY ever wants or wishes), then BPS and UKR wouldn't be exactly flavour of the month would it? So sorry to you ALL! Sob! :( :( :( :(

Edited by Anthony, 23 September 2005 - 03:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users