What is your favourite consumer firework brand?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favourite consumer firework brand? (50 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite consumer firework brand?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:38 PM

We all have a favourite brand of consumer firework we like to use and enjoy using so what's your favourite UK consumer firework brand? Sorry pretty green flames in Slovenia. Over to you! :D :wub: ^_^

Edited by Anthony, 31 August 2005 - 02:05 PM.

#2 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:03 PM

Hamex d.o.o

#3 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:23 PM

Well since Blackcat is one of the only brands up there here in the states Im going to say Blackcat

#4 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:54 PM

:glare: Kimbolton is extremely good but on the minus side it is a little bit expensive for what it is. Cosmic Group brands are quite good too and have a good spread from cheap cheerful and pretty low cost (and in some cases, low noise too) fireworks to expensive items of sheer magic, enjoyment and excellence. :wub: :wub: :wub:

#5 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:56 PM

Gotta say Kimbolton. After all the boss really did write the book on fireworks

#6 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:24 PM

Kimbolton all the way, they have amzing well made fireworks and Ron Lancaster is a legend!

#7 LadyKate

LadyKate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

Well since Blackcat is one of the only brands up there here in the states Im going to say Blackcat

View Post

For consumer fireworks, I think the stateside stuff is tamer than the stuff the Brits can get. However, some of the mortars are good (limit to 1.75") such as the Grucci New York Harbor show - however, good is also expensive.

Brother is a good brand available throughout the States as well as Phantom and Blackcat (and others).

Phantom has some good cakes and their package shows are ok. Specifically, their Tube Assortment is great and their Grand Finale assortment is good. Note that most of these come as BOGOF or as free if you spend enough on other things - most people wouldn't buy them, they are priced very high. The high price is a sales gimmick - when they give you one of them for free because you bought a ton of other stuff, you feel good.

The Phantom Blue Streak and Thundersticks are great rockets - they are pretty energetic - and sometimes a bit unpredictable. I've had them blow up on the launch stand before. However, they are among the best rockets for features vs price. The Phantom Lunar Beam rockets are one step up in price but are well done - they put a 1 1/2" round shell on the nose of them and they get some great breaks.

I like the Blackcat Exploding Comet rockets - they don't explode much and they aren't comets but they do have a nice titanium sparking tail and you can take the pathetic load out of the nose and put in a few stars or other items to test. They are more fun than star guns to test stuff and, if you buy lots of them, they are pretty cheap.

I've purchased Kimbolten stuff when I was in England and I agree that they have good fireworks. Their bigger pieces are really nice.

Kyle's review of the Alien Resurrection by Standard Peacock was really interesting (it's a girandola) - but I haven't been able to find the silly thing.

PyroReview.com has a ton of different firework reviews if you want to browse and drool.

#8 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:28 AM

I just happen to have a Grucci New York show assortment in my basement. Got it for $50, no tax, from a friend. Im holding it until New Years...How is it by any chance.

Funny you mentioned Alien Resurrection LadyKate as I was about to make a road trip to Kellner's fireworks in Western, Pa. They have Alien Resurrection at an ok price of I believe $90-$100 for a case of 2.

#9 LadyKate

LadyKate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:34 AM

I just happen to have a Grucci New York show assortment ...How is it by any chance.

View Post

I think the shells are the best of any in the class. They have unique 'flower' bursts - and very well formed breaks and good variety. They are also expensive at about $5.00 a shot - I can get a cheapo six shot mortar kit for less than one shell.

The do not go high and they have lots of crackle so I guess those are two drawbacks (three with the price) - but I still think they are top of the heap.

I might go to Kellner's Night Out next year - it looks like that will be the only way to get an Alien Resurrection.

#10 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:08 PM

I agree, the New York Harbor show is amazing. One of the best on the market here.

There is this cake called Pacific Blue by Great Grizzly(I think), but I don't know if there is a father company to great grizzly. This is by far my favorite cake, and fairly cheap. They make high quality stuff, and at very reasonable prices.

#11 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:22 PM

I think the shells are the best of any in the class. They have unique 'flower' bursts - and very well formed breaks and good variety. They are also expensive at about $5.00 a shot - I can get a cheapo six shot mortar kit for less than one shell.

The do not go high and they have lots of crackle so I guess those are two drawbacks (three with the price) - but I still think they are top of the heap.

I might go to Kellner's Night Out next year - it looks like that will be the only way to get an Alien Resurrection.

View Post

Sounds like I might have a decent New Year's show then :D. I too am going to go to Kellner's next year for the demo. I need some stuff from Skylighter that cant be shipped and I want to see the Class B Demo. I will PM you around the time of the demo nights to see if we could meet up, pool money together and get a discount if we are buying alot.

#12 LadyKate

LadyKate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:27 PM

I too am going to go to Kellner's next year for the demo. I will PM you around the time of the demo nights to see if we could meet up, pool money together and get a discount if we are buying alot.

View Post

Excellent idea. Anyone else out there thinking about something like this? It would be a good time to get all that Hazmat stuff picked up from Harry Gilliam (Skylighter) and others for no freight and no fees.

#13 Draco_Americanus

Draco_Americanus

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:57 PM

I had to vote for blackcat as the other listed brands are hard to obtain. I like the "SilverFox" bottle rockets a lot, even though they seem to like to explode before take off.
I would love to make a trip to skylighter but from michigan, thats quite a drive.

#14 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 12:43 AM

I personnally use Devco, I find they're relatively cheap and good, they usually last quite a while too.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#15 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:39 AM

I always found Tom Archers Excelsior brand good overall, apart from the box selections which often use the old con trick of a big empty tube containg a little fountain. There's no excuse for that as this stuff is dirt cheap to import. Much of his other stuff comes from Red Lantern which I always considered to be an fairly good Chinese brand. Some of the cakes and rockets were good for the price although I can't comment on this years stock after the noise reduction in the regulations.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users