What was available in your firework stockist long ago?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2005 - 10:18 AM

:) My local newsagents in Blackburn Lancashire in the 70's had a pretty wide range of Standard Fireworks on offer;ALL the selection boxes, all the ranges of sparklers,large single display wheels/setpieces/bouquets/combinations etc, smaller single garden and display fireworks,rockets a-go-go from the smallest to the biggest, and packs of various items Supersonic 6 and packs of fountains and roman candles together and various other things. :D

Edited by Anthony, 30 September 2005 - 10:20 AM.

#2 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:19 PM

Here in my home town in East Sussex it was Standard or Brocks that dominated locally although I recall Pains getting a foot in the door in the early to mid 70's for a year or two. Astra was a rare visitor. I recall the shop cabinets full of loose items that I would stand and gaze at for ages.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#3 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 07:41 PM

Havnt bought anything from a corner shop in years, but my supplier has everything you can imagine.
I cant even recall what brand the local corner shop stocked when I was a kid (early 70's) but I do remeber nearly every iten in the box. Only thing I remember is that the box was black with red/purple writing on it with yellow stars. Best item was the strings of what we called tomb thumb crackers (bangers to all the pom's - though I thought bangers were something that you had with mash).
Hell, those were were days, Would wait all day for my father to arrive home with this box, we would set up buckets of sand to place items in and old wine bottles to launch rockets out of (dam small in those days.. the stick was only about the length of a ruler).. and loads of dinky little fountains.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#4 Sparks

Sparks

Sparks

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 01:51 PM

I suppose it's controversial, but I miss jumping jacks and aeroplanes. Crazy little things.

#5 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:24 PM

I suppose it's controversial, but I miss jumping jacks and aeroplanes. Crazy little things.

Why controversial? I too loved jumping jacks (hence my profile name).They were around for hundreds (literally) of years before it was decided they were too unpredictable for us!
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#6 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:39 PM

So were swings in parks, conker fights, a sense of Britishness etc etc!!
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#7 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:03 AM

They were banned because quite simply they were very dangerous! Just think about it logically;if one of these things flew into your house it would cause injuries damage or even a house fire. The ban on such items in the early 70's was a sensible move and it helped to reduce serious injuries. :)

Edited by Anthony, 29 November 2005 - 09:03 AM.

#8 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:04 AM

if one of these things flew into your house it would cause injuries damage or even a house fire. :)

Are you talking about jumping crackers or aeroplanes? Either way, how would either of these be more likely to "fly into your house" than any other rocket, wheel, candle etc? They cannot open doors or windows.

They were voluntarily withdrawn by the manufacturers, due to political pressure, because "items of eratic or unpredictable flight" were deemed too dangerous for our increasingly un-eratic, predictable, controlled lives!

#9 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:16 AM

Are you talking about jumping crackers or aeroplanes? Either way, how would either of these be more likely to "fly into your house" than any other rocket, wheel, candle etc? They cannot open doors or windows.

They were voluntarily withdrawn by the manufacturers, due to political pressure, because "items of eratic or unpredictable flight" were deemed too dangerous for our increasingly un-eratic, predictable, controlled lives!

I HAVE seen and endured a jumping jack coming into my home in Blackburn Lancashire when I was 1 years old, this was in a size 40 box of Standard Fireworks my dad had bought to let off on the 5th Nov(it was something that scared me stiff and I cried afterwards and it bounced into the kitchen banged around and ended up behind the washing machine creating loads of smoke), so I agree with and applaud the fireworks manufacturers for banning these. I also agree with banning aeroplanes and spinners because they flew and span anywhere and everywhere, there was NO real safe distance you could watch these from because of their erratic and unpredictable flight and movement. All-in-all a good thing really. :closedeyes:

Edited by Anthony, 29 November 2005 - 11:18 AM.

#10 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:01 PM

I HAVE seen and endured a jumping jack coming into my home in Blackburn Lancashire when I was 1 years old, this was in a size 40 box of Standard Fireworks my dad had bought to let off on the 5th Nov(it was something that scared me stiff and I cried afterwards and it bounced into the kitchen banged around and ended up behind the washing machine creating loads of smoke), so I agree with and applaud the fireworks manufacturers for banning these. I also agree with banning aeroplanes and spinners because they flew and span anywhere and everywhere, there was NO real safe distance you could watch these from because of their erratic and unpredictable flight and movement. All-in-all a good thing really. :closedeyes:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Anthony :) I have to assume the door was open when the cracker was lit? - How else could it get inside the house? Never a good idea when fireing any device. At 1 year old I am not surprised it scared you (you have a terrific memory btw).

As far as jumping crackers go, I cannot "applaud the fireworks manufacturers for banning these" because if they were used correctly, ie placed on the ground in an open space & then lit, unless they were faulty (which can happen to any type of firework) they gave you ample time to get to a "safe" distance & enjoy them.

They actually contained very little blackpowder, so even though they created alot of noise & smoke, they weren't very "powerful" (for want of a better word). Great noisey smoke makers - and you didn't quite know exactly what they were going to do next - which was what I found exciting about them - there was never two that performed the same, jumping & spinning in different directions - which is more than you can say for most fireworks.

I am sorry that your experience of jumping crackers was to "endure" one. My memories are of excitement & great fun.

#11 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:37 PM

I have to assume the door was open when the cracker was lit? - How else could it get inside the house? Never a good idea when fireing any device.

But I always watched the fireworks from just inside the kitchen door, and my dad always left a clear space in the kitchen and door to the lobby open in case I needed to escape in the event of a firework going inside the house by accident. When lighting and displaying fireworks you should ALWAYS have an unobstructed escape route to get away in case something should go wrong then you can escape to safety and not be injured. :)

#12 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:35 PM

fantastic memory for a 1 year old Anthony -_-

I love the little spinners etc - wasn't really IN to fireworks when I was much younger so can't remember them being on sale in this country - but items of a similar nature were common place when I visited Valencia last year - and they are GREAT FUN!!

Stu

#13 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:31 AM

:D As far as jumping crackers go, I cannot "applaud the fireworks manufacturers for banning these" because if they were used correctly, ie placed on the ground in an open space & then lit, unless they were faulty (which can happen to any type of firework) they gave you ample time to get to a "safe" distance & enjoy them. :)

Open space?!?! We're talking gardens here, and there wasn't a specified safety distance on jumping jacks/aeroplanes/helicoptors and spinners in those days BUT some Standard fountains and a few roman candles in the selection boxes and sometimes sold separately would often say on the label
"Stand at least 30ft away upwind". :blush:

#14 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:47 PM

:D As far as jumping crackers go, I cannot "applaud the fireworks manufacturers for banning these" because if they were used correctly, ie placed on the ground in an open space & then lit, unless they were faulty (which can happen to any type of firework) they gave you ample time to get to a "safe" distance & enjoy them. :)
Open space?!?! We're talking gardens here, and there wasn't a specified safety distance on jumping jacks/aeroplanes/helicoptors and spinners in those days BUT some Standard fountains and a few roman candles in the selection boxes and sometimes sold separately would often say on the label
"Stand at least 30ft away upwind". :blush:

You need a certain sized "open space" (garden, whatever) to safely watch any firework! If you have a garden that is too small to watch a jumping cracker safely, you have a garden too small to safely watch virtually all garden fireworks.

Its a sign of the times I suppose - when I was a young lad, the street in which we lived, the houses did not have particularly big gardens, apart from 2. Aware of this, the owners of these houses, used to invite the other residents to take a few fireworks around to their house. All the neighbours would get together for a bonfire & display in the large garden! Those were the days :D

#15 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:48 PM

Most of the later types of Jumping Crackers were brilliant little fireworks :wub: and not the monsters they have been made out to be by the anti-firework brigade.

I let one off this year and it was great. I actually video'd it, and it came out really good. No-one was killed or injured becuse, knowing what they are like, we treated it with respect and stood a couple of yards away after lighting it (they were not subject to the 5 metre rule in those days) :)

Not a good idea to leave the door open like that Anthony. It might have landed in your pram and burnt you. Although you had a clearly defined exit route, these things can move a little quickly for a one year old. :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users