• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:13 PM

Hello all forum people. Gather around, the head honcho wishes to speak.

Recently many posts have for some reason or another managed to appear in the wrong forums. I've spent the past hour shifting many of these to their most suited forum.

Before you post a message, please stop and ask yourself, "Is this the right forum to post this message?" If the answer is yes than fire away, if the answer is no, then post somewhere more appropriate.

The UK Pyrotechnics forum is the main one for pyro posts. Pyro chemistry is really about the reactions behind the effects, and pyrotechnical phenomena such as the glitter effect.

If your post is about pyrotechnic legislation then there is a forum for that too. Likewise for the training forum.

General discussion is where to post if you have a general topic to discuss. If it's funny then post to the green room.

Thanks!

#2 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:38 PM

I hear and I obey. What shall we do when a topic begins to go astray? What if all I want is more of those precious forum stars?

:bounce:

Let's say we are talking about glitter. Glitter turns into alum. and alum. turns to antimony and so on. Shall there be seperate topics? Oh mighty one, what ever shall we do? Your humble servent, Bernie

#3 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:47 PM

Bernie, It is a valid point. Here's how I reckon it should go, If a topic starts on glitter, and then into aluminium, then it's still classed as a pyro chemistry topic. (afterall, aluminium plays a reasonable role in the chemistry of the effect).

Otherwise I would have to start chopping threads in half with one of the evil tools I have at my disposal in my forum tool box of chaos and power :)

#4 crackerboy

crackerboy

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 11:59 PM

I had no idea.

#5 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 02:29 PM

Please note new forum for pyrotechnic formulas. Please post all relevant info over there.

BigG

#6 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 07:50 AM

This is a note to all new users?.

In these forums, we try to avoid duplications as much as possible. Recent new members have been starting new thread on subjects we have covered in dozen of other posts? SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST! POST INTO EXISTING THREADS!!!

I have taken an action to remove those recently opened duplicate threads.

Edited by BigG, 15 October 2004 - 07:51 AM.

#7 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:55 PM

As for searching before i post, I always do, But the thing im looking for never comes up, so I post it anyway and then get told its been posted somewhere els. Improve the search facility! get rid of the 4 letter minimum search word criteria! try seraching for NC Fuse on this forum :(

#8 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:14 PM

Some of the facilities for the forum are out of our control, and are defined by the provider.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#9 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:16 PM

The 4 letter minimum search limitation is not a limitation with the forum software, but the indexing system and search function used by the MySQL server, so unfortunately, that cannot be changed.

#10 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:57 AM

i use mysql all the time for my websites, have never come across a 4 letter limit.
are you sure its not a variable in the invision config?

i agree in principle tho, the search facility is a bit poo. not saying its the admins fault, but google is often better than the built in thing.
for exaple, the NC fuse:
http://www.google.co...Fforum&safe=off

#11 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 07:01 AM

When using full text search functions (which I presume is what will be used for searching the database we use), there is a 4 letter minimum for each word. If it is less than four letters, then MySQL will ignore it, but the forum obviously sends an error message instead so you dont do a search, get no results and presume that the word is not in the database.

http://sunsite.mff.c...ext_Search.html

MySQL uses a very simple parser to split text into words. A ``word'' is any sequence of characters consisting of letters, digits, `'', and `_'. Any ``word'' that is present in the stopword list or is just too short (3 characters or less) is ignored.

It is possible to change, but only by the MySQL server administrator.

Edited by Stuart, 14 July 2005 - 07:06 AM.

#12 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:49 AM

With the flow of new members to the forum, may I remind everyone – especially new members – a few points we try to adhere to:

1) Post onto the right forum – please do not open a new forum/thread if one already exists for your post.
2) Search before posting! We don’t appreciate duplicate posting here. Make sure that you look also at thread more then 90 days old.
3) READ THE FORUM RULES! Not paying attention to the forum rules will get you anything from frowned upon to banned.

If you in doubt – ask a moderator before posting.

#13 MerxPego

MerxPego

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:36 AM

This may be because people like me dont immediately see the other forums lower down the page, and assume theres just one, having scoured the top of the page for links to the other forums?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users