#1 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:43 PM

Hi

Has any one got any ideas has to where i can get a acetone proof Spray bottle mister thingy?.. I have tried a fair few hand sprayers but they have all failed.. :( ..Passfire mentions a brand that works ok but that is from USA?.. any ideas for the UK?

Cheers

#2 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:59 PM

I know that you can get acetone proof vented wash bottles from lab suppliers, which hold the acetone to clean apparatus in labs.
The only problem is they don't give a spray, although a large lab supplier like scichem may not be too bad a place to start looking.

#3 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:09 PM

http://www.atomiza.c...al sprayers.htm

#4 JamesH

JamesH

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:19 PM

I have not been able to find an acetone compatible atomizer either. If you have access to an air compressor with pressure regulator you can use a small spray gun used for paint application. The spray guns are resistant to all common cleaning solvents. The pressure must be regulated to a low level, otherwise you will end up blowing your star cores out of the roller!
I believe commercial companys use a similar setup when rolling round stars.

http://www.atomiza.c...al sprayers.htm

Richard, can you recomend a particular model?

Edited by JamesH, 09 November 2005 - 10:17 PM.

HE WHO HATH ONCE SMELT THE SMOKE IS NE'ER AGAIN FREE

#5 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:27 PM

The PTFE based seals on the Model 942 should hold up to Acetone.

#6 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the Info!.. I just phoned them and they told me the 942 models (?20) was not solvent proof..She offered another sprayer mister at over ?40 but she didnt sound confident that it would work with acteone..

So i have decided to go the spray gun route i have a compressor and can buy cheap sprayguns so i will give that a go..

Thanks..

#7 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:10 PM

Well i popped out to machine mart and got one of there small spray guns.. Now i have just tried to use it to spray my cores.. :( :angry: .And basically it blows the cores every were :( ..

I turned down the pressure to 1 lb and it still blows the cores every were..So am a bit pissed off .. It would work ok if the cores were a bit bigger ..but for the moment i am a bit stumped..I can get a hand sprayer for ?40+ but they wouldnt say for sure it would work...So dont want to waste more money!!..

But my new motorised star roller will soon be up and running so need some way of spraying Acetone...

#8 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:33 PM

Strange,

I have used acetone in a spraybottle before and had no problems
The flask is made from aluminium and the sprayer is if I'm not mistaking made from ABS or some kind of PE.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#9 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:04 PM

I don't think ABS would hold up, but Polyethylene would hold up I believe.

#10 JamesH

JamesH

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:20 PM

Rob, I regulate my line pressure down to 10 psi. I use a Binks Bullows 230 spray gun (now obsolete if im not mistaken), this gun has a fine adjustment for spray angle and trigger movement and I am able to obtain a nice fine spray without blowing the cores everywhere. Does your gun have this feature?

mumbles your right, ABS will disolve in acetone.

Edited by JamesH, 15 November 2005 - 09:22 PM.

#11 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:43 PM

Rob, I regulate my line pressure down to 10 psi. I use a Binks Bullows 230 spray gun (now obsolete if im not mistaken), this gun has a fine adjustment for spray angle and trigger movement and I am able to obtain a nice fine spray without blowing the cores everywhere. Does your gun have this feature?

mumbles your right, ABS will disolve in acetone.

James yes this is the Gun Touch Up Gun It has those feature you mention..i bought a pressure regulator and can drop pressure way down to 1 lbs..
I will have to try with a lot more cores..hopefully with a large amount of core they will manage to get wet?..I must admit i am tempted to waste more money on this hand sprayer Solvent Sprayer 950 ml.. But like i said they were not sure if it would work with Acetone..

#12 JamesH

JamesH

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:16 PM

Rob, when you say 1lbs do you mean 1psi?

#13 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:37 AM

James Yes i meant 1 lb per sq inch.. basicallly as low as the regulator will go..
Any way Paul has inspired me with that 6" shell.. and tommorow i will try to make a new batch with 10's of thousands of cores so hopefully lots of cores will work better..

#14 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:10 AM

sasman,

I believe you can get NC lacquer in a spraycan from woodwork finishing shops. Would this do what you require?

Hold on - gonna see if I can find the link.... Found it!

http://www.mancheste...uk/lacquer.html

If you are after something to bind stars with NC then this may be just the job - Only ?15 including delivery as well.

#15 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:45 PM

whoooaaaa nice find! I wonder how these would last, doesnt say how big they are might email the dude, also, do you think this is a 'special' kind of NC that doesn't take flame? Not something I would like to ask in the email :P

Regards,
Drew
In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users