47 replies to this topic

#1 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:03 PM

A few nights ago I made two plain BP rocket motors and sent them up. They worked perfectly so I decided to make a payload rocket, here it is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It is only a test so I only loaded it with 7 stars, the head is made of kraft-wrapped film canister with KP burst and the stars inside it. The motor is a 3" tube filled with Black powder, it has a 1/3rd deep drilled core.

I will post photos and a video when I launch it.

Edited by sizzle, 20 November 2005 - 12:04 PM.

Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#2 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:16 PM

Well, I launched it this evening, it was fantastic, it didn't fall from the sky whilst still burning like a few of my test ones did, the head took a few seconds to burst though so i'll use a shorter pass fire next time, the stars didnt have a wide burst instead they fell from the sky burning which actually had a very nice effect. Couldn't get any photos as the camera is playing up and wont take any. I'll be making four of these rockets for my display on Christmas Eve so I'll get a video of them then.

#3 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:27 PM

What spec are the motors? And how come your nozzle is pink, what you using for it?

#4 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:42 PM

Why use such a large ID motor? I usually use 1/2" - 1" And they work great!
Is that a commercial fuse? Or even motor? Because i could not hel pbut notice the end has been dipped in an easy light mix, and this only happens on commercial firwork fuses!
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#5 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:58 PM

Why use such a large ID motor? I usually use 1/2" - 1" And they work great!
Is that a commercial fuse? Or even motor? Because i could not hel pbut notice the end has been dipped in an easy light mix, and this only happens on commercial firwork fuses!

It looks a bit commercial to me, pink nozzle and interesting motor body that looks like its not hand rolled. Just looks odd, if you did make it well done but if not and say its yours shame on you!!! :angry:

#6 Karl

Karl

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:11 PM

Looks like cat-litter or Pollyfilla has been used for the nozzle.

I believe Sizzle had quite a few of those tubes, so it isn't hand rolled.

But yeah, the fuse looks like commercial firework fuse, as you said, the end is dipped in some sort of Pyrogen.

Karl

#7 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:18 PM

Ok first of all, I would never use a comercial firework and call it mine, the fuse has a prime on it because it was cut-off a portfire as I had no Visco or Black Match available, the tubes were bought from a certain member of this forum, the nozzle looks red because of my crappy camera. I spent ages making it and I find it quite irritating how people think that I have used a comercial motor, I assure you it is not. It is a 3" cut off from a 7" tube. Like I said the end plug is Pollyfilla and I spent ages carving bits out to make the motor lighter.

Please don't accuse me of using bought motors, if you look carefully enough you'll see how there are traces of pollyfilla around the base of the tube, do bought ones have this? and you'll see some PVA attatching the fuse to the Pollyfilla and you may be able to see how rough the nozzle is.

Edited by sizzle, 15 October 2006 - 06:49 PM.

#8 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:48 PM

Ok first of all, I would never use a comercial firework and call it mine, the fuse has a prime on it because it was cut-off a portfire as I had no Visco or Black Match available, the tubes were bought from a certain member of this forum, the nozzle looks red because of my crappy camera. I spent ages making it and I find it quite depressing how people think that I have used a comercial motor, I assure you it is not. It is a 3" cut off from a 7" tube. Like I said the end plug is Pollyfilla and I spent ages carving bits out to make the motor lighter.

Please don't accuse me of using bought motors, if you look carefully enough you'll see how there are traces of pollyfilla around the base of the tube, do bought ones have this? and you'll see some PVA attatching the fuse to the Pollyfilla and you may be able to see how rough the nozzle is.

All apologies sizzle, your right it is homemade and well done for making it buddy!! Next time you fire it try to get a clip as its always nice to see good pyro, good work and your progress is impressing me...keep up the good work!

#9 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:52 PM

All apologies sizzle, your right it is homemade and well done for making it buddy!! Next time you fire it try to get a clip as its always nice to see good pyro, good work and your progress is impressing me...keep up the good work!

Thank you, I will be making another soon and I will be sure to capture it on video for you all. My only concern is the delay, it fell at least 20ft before the burst exploded. I used about 1.5cm of visco passing through a drilled hole in the top of the motor into the canister. Would just pouring some KP in this hole so it links to the burst in the canister work? or should I try a delay comp or even fast PIC?

Sorry for getting angry, I get enough accusations at school as it is so getting it from pyro buddies just made me a bit mad. Sorry.

Edited by sizzle, 20 November 2005 - 09:54 PM.

#10 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:59 PM

Thank you, I will be making another soon and I will be sure to capture it on video for you all. My only concern is the delay, it fell at least 20ft before the burst exploded. I used about 1.5cm of visco passing through a drilled hole in the top of the motor into the canister. Would just pouring some KP in this hole so it links to the burst in the canister work? or should I try a delay comp or even fast PIC?

Sorry for getting angry, I get enough accusations at school as it is so getting it from pyro buddies just made me a bit mad. Sorry.

Every right to be a bit angry. Normally the delay is rammed at the end of the rockets burn, all you need is a slow burning modified blackpowder high in charcoal. The passfire hole is kept clear and a flame flashes into the burst/header. I wouldnt use visco or pic as its not needed, i can find you a delay comp if you need one.

#11 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:16 PM

Every right to be a bit angry. Normally the delay is rammed at the end of the rockets burn, all you need is a slow burning modified blackpowder high in charcoal. The passfire hole is kept clear and a flame flashes into the burst/header. I wouldnt use visco or pic as its not needed, i can find you a delay comp if you need one.

Yes please, I wouldn't have a clue where to get delay comps.

#12 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:35 PM

I spent ages making it and I find it quite depressing how people think that I have used a comercial motor, I assure you it is not.

you know, if i were you i'd take it as a big compliment if someone said my rocket looked commercial.

nice rocket, i wouldn't have uses such a big rocket tube for that, but then i'm a spendthrift.

#13 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:52 PM

Source : Tenney Davis

Potassium nitrate - 54
Charcoal - 33
Sulphur - 11
Dextrin - 2

This is a candle delay but i am sure it can be used as rocket delay, you could just use your bp and add extra charcoal to it to slow it down. Also note that dextrin is only needed if tyou granulating it, this is to stop the mess from when you put your rammer in. We have all been there! Hope this helps.....Remember test the delay timing before you send it up in a rocket, make a static engine test and time the delay after that RECORD IT IN YOUR BLACK BOOK :D

#14 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:23 PM

Thanks, will do.

nice rocket, i wouldn't have uses such a big rocket tube for that, but then i'm a spendthrift.

Unfortunately I only have 3/4" ID tubes at the moment, but I should be recieving some smaller ones from PyroTube.com any time now.

Edited by sizzle, 20 November 2005 - 11:25 PM.

#15 Maineiac

Maineiac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:31 PM

The rocket looks good Sizzle. keep up the good work.
D1 Glitter makes a nice delay as does Winokur 39. The 39 locks in much better than the D1 though but is more costly to make. And, as karlfoxman said, by all means do a static test first to get your timing down. Best practice is to press (or ram) a known length of delay and drill that back until you get the timing you desire. Ultimately this will only get you close and some test flights will be needed for fine tuming. We always use Thermalite as a passfire to help insure ignition as close to the center of the shell as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users