• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 GuiltyCol

GuiltyCol

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:11 AM

Despite being only (nearly) 5, my daughter loves doing experiments of any kind. It occurred to me that a kiddies chemistry set might be a fun thing to get for her for Xmas, for use only under my supervision of course!

So I was wondering if any other parents here had done anything similar with their kids, and if so, at what age were they and how did it go? Also, any recommendations on brand or where to get them, or is it just something like this or this?

Oh whilst I'm here, ToysRus are doing a rock tumbler for ?30, don't know if it's suitable for our purposes?

#2 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:36 AM

Well, being only a teenage myself I obviously have no kids, but what I can tell you is my mum brought me a Chemistry Kit from Toymaster when I was about eight. But be carefull, I recently looked at the remains of the kit and there are things like Copper Sulphate in their.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#3 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:40 AM

When I was a kid, my brother had a chemestry set. I must say it looked pretty tame. The most exciting thing you could do was use some acid to make hydrogen from cut up milkbottle tops, and syphon off the gas into a tube to make a "squeaky pop" as its always said to sound like. I dont think it held much attention for very long for either of us.

Personally i was interested in electricity more than chemestry, and my dad was worried i'd start messing with mains sockets. So he made up an "electricity set" for me. Was a box, with assorted buzzers, crocodile clips, bulbs & bases, battery packs and so on. I think it was a great idea, and as i grew up i added to the collection of bits and bobs. I still have most of it, but i think i blew most of the bulbs!

#4 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:23 PM

some of these kits are pretty tame, i got bought one for ?2 when i was young, it was ok, but not great, the most fun thing i did with it was melt and blow a glass tube in it (with a blowtorch) when i was about 8.

personally, when i was that age, i had much more fun putting baking soda and vinegar in a film canister, turning it upside down and running away, they shoot up pretty high.

#5 barra69

barra69

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:00 PM

I bought a chemistry set for both my children when they reached the age of 7. Yes they are tame and so they should be, however if you sit and help the children with he experiments and teach them the importance of attention to detail and note taking it cam be good fun for both parties.
I have got to say that the interest that was lit in my eldest is what is driving her to complete her Standard Grade chemistry so that she can do her Highers. She wants to do 'much more interesting' things.
Well recommended.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:55 PM

They both look pretty good; a five year old might not appreciate a more complex set though, the kitchen one looks like a good bet.

I had a Salter science chemistry set when I was young; I managed to make something that had no solvent known to my dad, and various things as well.

#7 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:13 PM

Wow....only 5 and intersted in experiments already! You may have a budding scientist on your hands there :) I agree with Andrew, i think the first of the 2 looks a bit advanced for a 5year old, but the kitchen one looks fine.

I bought a chemistry set for both of my kids when they were about 7, and they both loved it. We spent many hours doing 'experiments'......ahhh the good 'ol days, when the kids were 'nice'. Now they are teenagers......say no more :)

#8 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:27 PM

We spent many hours doing 'experiments'......ahhh the good 'ol days, when the kids were 'nice'. Now they are teenagers......say no more :)

What are you trying to say about us <_<

#9 Andrew

Andrew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:02 PM

Have you ever seen harry enfield? Kevin ring any bells lol :D

#10 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:28 PM

Have you ever seen harry enfield? Kevin ring any bells lol :D

Yes but my point is a lot of people stereotype teenagers because a few set bad examples. That really annoys me, what annoys me more is how security guards are obsessed with following me around stores because of my age incase I steal anything. Do they not have anything better to do?

And just because some of them are moody and unstable it doesn't mean we all are!!!

#11 Andrew

Andrew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:41 PM

I understand! It was just a joke! :)

I cannot be bothered to get all political tonight, and get all off topic, but; on the news a week ago I saw a new product that some shops are using to deter young thieves, but young people in general at the same time. And what is worse is the news portrayed it as good light hearted thing. They use a high pitch loud noise that older people cannot hear. I could not believe it, I actually felt like writing to an MP or something, I thought it an absolute outrage. What about the 3 year old that HAS to go there because his/her parent is going there? The poor might would not have any choice but be assaulted and abused by the company. And what about me I thought, I can still hear well into 19 kHz. Its disgusting, but an example of the few spoiling it for the many, and the stupid doing ridiculous things. I mean, talk about discrimination!

To add a bit of topicness to this rather pointless rant, I would buy both sets now, and save the first chemistry set for a couple years down the line; the way this country is going you probably will not be able to buy them in the near future!

#12 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:46 PM

I understand! It was just a joke! :)

I cannot be bothered to get all political tonight, and get all off topic, but; on the news a week ago I saw a new product that some shops are using to deter young thieves, but young people in general at the same time. And what is worse is the news portrayed it as good light hearted thing. They use a high pitch loud noise that older people cannot hear. I could not believe it, I actually felt like writing to an MP or something, I thought it an absolute outrage. What about the 3 year old that HAS to go there because his/her parent is going there? The poor might would not have any choice but be assaulted and abused by the company. And what about me I thought, I can still hear well into 19 kHz. Its disgusting, but an example of the few spoiling it for the many, and the stupid doing ridiculous things. I mean, talk about discrimination!

To add a bit of topicness to this rather pointless rant, I would buy both sets now, and save the first chemistry set for a couple years down the line; the way this country is going you probably will not be able to buy them in the near future!

where is this shop?

hmmm.... EMP generator......

#13 GuiltyCol

GuiltyCol

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Yes she does like experiments, I'll give you one example: One rainy day on the way to school she asked why the rain didn't come inside the car. This lead to a conversation about materials that are permeable or porous and we were coming up with examples, when she said "Paper". Anyway, long story short, we did an experiment with 3 different paper types to see which one(s) would let water seep through. She loved it.

#14 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Yes she does like experiments, I'll give you one example: One rainy day on the way to school she asked why the rain didn't come inside the car. This lead to a conversation about materials that are permeable or porous and we were coming up with examples, when she said "Paper". Anyway, long story short, we did an experiment with 3 different paper types to see which one(s) would let water seep through. She loved it.

boiling water in a paper bag impressed me when i was about her age.

#15 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:48 AM

Some colour-changing would probably be fascinating for her at that age, get some universal indicator solution and do the "Acids and Alkalis" kitchen products test with general cooking items (e.g. Lemon Juice and Sodium Bicarb).

You could also do the rainbow experiment, I can't quite remember what it involved but I do remember seeing a measuring cylinder with 5 different colours of liquid in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users