Standard Sky Rockets

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:53 AM

:) These were really good, they took off with a nice sparkling tail to a good height then quietly released beautiful cascades of stars without a loud bang and came in many stunning effects;the Chinese manufactured Standard ones now don't show this kind of quality anymore and tend to be more noisier, it would be nice for the traditional british made Standard ones to return as they showed how a rocket should be and this was matched by it's delivery and quality of it's performance and ejection of payloads in the sky. Quiet, pretty but not noisy. :)

Edited by Anthony, 06 December 2005 - 11:55 AM.

#2 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:43 PM

I remember being very impressed by the Standard Shrapnel rocket. It was quite weakly burst and for a moment nothing happened, then a number of reports went off, probably the same units that used to be in their airbomb mines. This one stood out amongst the rest for it's simplicity but difference in effect.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#3 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:42 PM

Yes, yes, very nice. Post this at UKFR next time...
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#4 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:34 AM

Sorry Adam. I thought we were allowed to be nostalgic about fireworks under the subject heading "Firework Nostalgia".

#5 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:36 AM

It doesn't bother me, so carry on :). We are just getting annoyed with the incredible rise of Cat 3 drivel posts around here. There are other, dedicated forums out there for this.

#6 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:58 AM

well you have the power Richard ;)

#7 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:05 PM

;)

#8 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:11 PM

Fair enough Richard. I must agree that there are a lot of posts about cat3 stuff.

#9 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:34 PM

:) These were really good, they took off with a nice sparkling tail to a good height then quietly released beautiful cascades of stars without a loud bang and came in many stunning effects;the Chinese manufactured Standard ones now don't show this kind of quality anymore and tend to be more noisier, it would be nice for the traditional british made Standard ones to return as they showed how a rocket should be and this was matched by it's delivery and quality of it's performance and ejection of payloads in the sky. Quiet, pretty but not noisy. :)

I was talking about the Standard Sky Rockets of old NOT the current ones, Mortartube decided to drift off. :angry:

#10 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:31 PM

So was I. The ones actually made at Crossland Hill, Huddersfield and not knocked up in some Oriental sweat shop.

#11 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:43 PM

Anthony, I know you were talking about the old ones, and I must have had a bad day. I'm just having an Anthony overload at the moment.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#12 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:03 PM

Thought I'd post this here since the thread has the appropriate name.

How did standard and other makers in the 70's fuse their rockets? I mean the rockets they made were core burners am I right? Having never opened one at the time, did they have blackmatch up the middle as shown in This drawing?
How did they secure it? just pushed in? then blue touchpaper rolled at the nozzle? I seem to remember that someone said PIC was used. If this was the case was there no match up the middle? how was the PIC secured? I know that now on short cored rockets they just shove the visco up and a blob of BP paste. so I'm not interested in those.

I watched a clip posted from pains putting the wrappers on but would really like to know how these core burners were made commercially. I love the way everything is made simple for speed of production and never tire watching the old video footage.

Also is there a reason why core burners are not sold / made anymore? They did fly higher than rockets of today didn't they?

#13 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:04 PM

Thought I'd post this here since the thread has the appropriate name.

How did standard and other makers in the 70's fuse their rockets? I mean the rockets they made were core burners am I right? Having never opened one at the time, did they have blackmatch up the middle as shown in This drawing?
How did they secure it? just pushed in? then blue touchpaper rolled at the nozzle? I seem to remember that someone said PIC was used. If this was the case was there no match up the middle? how was the PIC secured? I know that now on short cored rockets they just shove the visco up and a blob of BP paste. so I'm not interested in those.

I watched a clip posted from pains putting the wrappers on but would really like to know how these core burners were made commercially. I love the way everything is made simple for speed of production and never tire watching the old video footage.

Also is there a reason why core burners are not sold / made anymore? They did fly higher than rockets of today didn't they?

The Standard rockets I pulled apart in the 80's all had a length of PIC into the core behind the blue touchpaper. This was simply bent double at the end to hold it against the side of the core - this stopped it falling out.

I also remember they had a crimped tube to form the choke.
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#14 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

I can confirm that Rip Rap's answer is correct. Yellow PIC was used and the tubes had a crimped choke.

#15 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the replys Rip Rap and Mortartube. I'm not familiar with the properties of yellow PIC. Was it faster than visco? Was it able to ignite the whole core in one go? If not wouldnt the take off be variable with each rocket ? I take it that yellow PIC takes fire easily from blue touchpaper. I had no idea that the nozzles were crimped. Would that have aided faster construction?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users