13 replies to this topic

#1 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:22 PM

Has anybody ever taken part in the British Firework Championships in Plymouth before? I went to see the event last year and was truly amazing, one of the best experiences ever! :) Normally it's 3 events each night and lasts for about 2 nights if I remember correctly, the firework company who puts on the best display wins.. I've never seen such a spectacular display, thats really what got me into the idea of making fireworks, I didn't even realise pattern shells were real, I thought they were just something you see on cartoons :P

Anyways, tata!
Drew

Edited by Ritual33, 20 December 2005 - 07:24 PM.

In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:30 AM

Yes, I was there rigging on the display that won the competition. It was a fantastic couple of days, glorious weather, and everyone was really pleased with the end result too.

Back in Plymouth in 2006 to defend the title :)

#3 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:08 PM

Yes, I was there rigging on the display that won the competition. It was a fantastic couple of days, glorious weather, and everyone was really pleased with the end result too.

Best of luck for it, i will hopefully be going along! Any chance of a look at the setting up Richard? One of the teams had a lot of lovely aqua shells!

#4 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:39 PM

Ah cool, I wish I could get down there each year, bit too far from manchester :S
I was down there with my girlfriend but we split up now so I doubt I will be going back down any time soon. Good look for the next title, I thought the winning team definatly deserved it last time round.

Regards,
Drew
In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

#5 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 02:32 PM

One of the teams had a lot of lovely aqua shells!

strange - I was under the impression that they were not allowed at Plymouth any longer???

#6 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 03:15 PM

strange - I was under the impression that they were not allowed at Plymouth any longer???

No sorry i mean aqua colour shells not the shells that burst on water. Although i have seen them used and they are very nice. I read that there maybe a restriction on the maximum shell size soon.

#7 mlepyro

mlepyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:15 PM

No sorry i mean aqua colour shells not the shells that burst on water. Although i have seen them used and they are very nice. I read that there maybe a restriction on the maximum shell size soon.

There already is, 12" is the limit... we didn't fire above 8".

Aqua is not allowed - due to some problems on the initial competitions I believe. Shame really as we have some cracking kit that demands water.

Mat
MLE Pyrotechnics Limited
www.mlepyro.co.uk www.firebywire.co.uk

#8 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:53 PM

Yeah Aqua is lovely, never seen them in real shows though but would love to. Maybe next year when i get around to Valencia :D I hope you get to see them this year :) 300mm is plenty big enough for most shows, but a barrage of 200mm is very yummy too.....

#9 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:21 AM

Maybe next year when i get around to Valencia

Valencia eh..... cant wait - not long to go now!!!

#10 zookeeper

zookeeper

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:49 AM

Congratulations on your victory! Well done.

Is there any online video of the competition available?
What effect put your display 'over the top'?

#11 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:01 AM

There are a few videos available, and as soon as the all whistles and bells site is online I will put these up.

The display had a lot of impact. We used large numbers of angled single-shot candles and 50mm comets, in many sequence configurations. The photos below give you some idea of the type of effects used.

http://www.firework-...ev_Plymouth05_5

#12 zookeeper

zookeeper

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:23 AM

There are a few videos available, and as soon as the all whistles and bells site is online I will put these up.

The display had a lot of impact. We used large numbers of angled single-shot candles and 50mm comets, in many sequence configurations. The photos below give you some idea of the type of effects used.

http://www.firework-...ev_Plymouth05_5

Ah..yes candles, I use them often myself, they make for a nice low/mid level effect, when adding large brocades or crossette shells over the top.

I like to use 'candle bundles', Vulcan fireworks makes a great 70shot white glitter to blue.

Cheers on the videos, I'll be waiting... :)

#13 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:20 PM

I somehow found myself in Plymouth area for the 2007 competition and event :) The TESA organised conference was interesting and useful - I certainly made some helpful contacts.

To set the scene for the displays, the weather was completely unpredictable with rain, fog and mist for several days beforehand. The Mount Batten breakwater, on which all the pyro was rigged, was threatened by a very high tide and the possibility of the larger waves just sweeping everything away...

On the Tuesday we had Star Fireworks followed by Blast Design and Pendragon. Of the three, Blast Design was my favourite, with some amazing colour combinations somehow exactly coordinated between comets, mines, stars, and falling leaves to brilliant effect.

Wednesday gave us Viking Fireworks, 1st Galaxy and Selstar. Viking opened well but 1st Galaxy had me jumping up and down with excitement. There was something they did with their timing that just built and built the energy in the crowd - you can always tell by the reaction of the kids. Selstar finished off with a good (and by far the loudest) display and eventually won.

It was all good stuff and valuable experience, but with what I learnt from the conference and exhibitors, I was left with an impression of an industry much appreciated by the public but increasingly under seige from HSE, insurers the anti-lobby. We really do need as much support as possible over the next few years to secure the future of British fireworks at this level.

Edited by BrightStar, 19 August 2007 - 10:37 PM.

#14 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

Just got home from a pleasant trip to Cornwall which included my usual sojourn in Plymouth for the fireworks. This year I was just spectating and taking lots and lots of photos. Shall upload the best ones to Flickr soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users