• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pepsi

Pepsi

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:12 AM

Has anyone tried Ball Milling Pot Chlorate with glass Marbles..??
Just wondering how safe.
Regards
Pepsi
"Growing Old is Inevitable,
Growing Up is Optional"

#2 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:18 AM

Glass marbles :blink: I would not mill anything with glass marbles!
The glass will make any comp more sensitive to friction,small pieces of glass will chip of the marbles by the millingaction and contaminate your KClO3.
Fine pieces of glass are sometimes added to chlorate comps to make them even more FRICTION SENSITIVE, like in toycaps for example (see Shimizu f.a.s.t. for more info).

In short: No it's absolutely not safe to mill KClO3 with marbles, I personally wouldn't mill it at all as you'll need seperate jars and media for milling it, even when only milling oxidisers in one jar.

But if I were you I would stick to KNO3 compositions for a while, and read more about the subject.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#3 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:03 PM

MILL, MARBLES AND POTASSIUM CHLORATE :( - Makes me shake thinking about it, please please stay away from KCLO3 until as Jerronimo says you read about its dangers. We are here for advice so please follow it.

#4 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:25 PM

not safe, not safe at all.

#5 Pepsi

Pepsi

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:36 PM

Hi All,
Thanks for the replies, the only reason I asked is that I made about a Kilo of Pot. Chlorate and after several re-crystalizations it still remains quite lumpy, however testing a small amount proves it to be quite pure.

I just wanted to fine poweder it to keep on the shelf, I am aware of its incompatibilities with other "fuels".

Thank's all for the advise..

Kind regards
Pepsi.
"Growing Old is Inevitable,
Growing Up is Optional"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users