44 replies to this topic

#1 Karl

Karl

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:21 PM

Does anyone remember these? Think this will be a popular item with the 'oldies' :P

Got my hands on a box with a few in it. Time to get put away I think!

What would you guys do with them? Anyone had them before?

Posted Image

#2 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:43 AM

Does anyone remember these? Think this will be a popular item with the 'oldies' :P

Got my hands on a box with a few in it. Time to get put away I think!

What would you guys do with them? Anyone had them before?

Nice find Karl. I've not ever had that brand, being in the US. I know what I would do with them though :)

Edited by Frozentech, 14 February 2006 - 12:44 AM.

"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#3 PYRODUDE!!!

PYRODUDE!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:49 PM

OMG you?re so lucky. Umm, if it's not too much to ask...Could you make a video plllleeeaassseeee?!! I never saw one go of before. Where did you get hold of them?

#4 Karl

Karl

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:39 PM

Pyrodude:

Sure, do you want the video in daylight or darkness?
They arn't really that loud, just BP inside them but the casing is blown to pieces after it's fired!

Managed to get hold of them from a special friend, who also happens to have another pack of bangers made by a different brand.

#5 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:54 PM

Just wondering - what makes you think they have BP in them as opposed to flash?

They look rather old from the packaging - any idea of the year?

#6 Karl

Karl

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:17 PM

The bang is extremely weak if it is flash.

Im not too sure about the age of these but I would presume older than 10 years. (1996 being the date of them being banned).

The only markings that I can find is on the back of the box saying 'C155'

'J.M ENERPRISES, MELMERBY HG4 5NB / Contents comply with BS7114: Part 2 : 1988'

#7 Damp Squib

Damp Squib

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:50 PM

I bought that exact box of bangers 12 years ago ?1.00 for 10 they arnt that loud but you can fix that if you dismember one 'if they are the same' half way down the case it will have a 10mm hole on the inner windings of the tube so the banger will break in that spot,just wrap some tape around the outside of the banger so the tube doesnt brake in that spot,too much and the top will blow out with a weak puff just right and the tape will snap and increase the report,it is just BP inside I'd say around 1.5g :)

Edited by Damp Squib, 14 February 2006 - 10:52 PM.

Avatar pic 8mm ID Nano3 based end burner motor

#8 PYRODUDE!!!

PYRODUDE!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:18 PM

Pyrodude:

Sure, do you want the video in daylight or darkness?
They arn't really that loud, just BP inside them but the casing is blown to pieces after it's fired!

Managed to get hold of them from a special friend, who also happens to have another pack of bangers made by a different brand.

Darkness please, thanks. If you need a favour just give us a shout. :)

#9 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:15 PM

It won't be a very impressive video!

#10 PYRODUDE!!!

PYRODUDE!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:25 PM

Meh, it's better then nothing!

#11 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:40 AM

Those bangers are not likely to be older than the very late 80's or early 90's, which is when JME/Brightstar started to become of prominence as a firework company. I'd save them, they are the collectors items of tomorrow. They will go phut, not bang. They either contain BP or nitrocellulose. (I had some Standard 3-2-1 bangers once with nitrocellulose pearls in), Useless!
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#12 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:04 AM

They either contain BP or nitrocellulose. (I had some Standard 3-2-1 bangers once with nitrocellulose pearls in), Useless!

I didn't know that mortartube (that Standard had produced bangers that contained NC). Were these among the last to be made? They must have been an absolute joke - the BP ones were bad enough.

Meh, it's better then nothing!

Barely! I think you may change your mind when you see one of these "bangers" go off. You will be totally under-whelmed! By the time bangers were withdrawn in '96, it was no loss because they had been made so impotent by then, they were laughable - literally laughable! I remember my Dad letting out a loud guffaw (it was louder than the banger) sometime back in the '80's after I had fired a bp banger. The shower of sparks as the fuse burnt down, the tension rising & then suddenly............."phufft". "AAArrgh ha ha. What the heck was that supposed to be?" (or something similar) "that was pathetic!" And he was right. He was used to "proper" bangers when he was growing up!
As mortartube said, you would be better off saving them, they will become desireable to collectors given a few years.
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#13 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:12 PM

Does anybody know the difference between bangers like those above and the bangers you would get in France or Germany. Is it just the amount of BP (I very much doubt if modern day french bangers have flash in them) or is it the quality that makes the difference? I used to have a few french bangers, would be fun to get some more... oh the memories!
Thanks

#14 willd

willd

willd

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

I took a small french banger apart about 5 years ago and it contained flash. Im not sure about the larger ones though.

#15 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:18 PM

Is it possible to get them from anywhere?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users