73 replies to this topic

#1 nexus

nexus

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:34 PM

good day all,

I am hoping someone could help me with fireballs. I am a licensed pyrotechnician in Canada and can aquire any powder/chemical, however, I have never attempted fireballs, but need to produce one this June. I know it is a BP / gas mix, and plan on starting small, but would appreciate any advice from someone who has dealt with this prior to. I am mainly looking to know how much BP to how much gasoline and the safest approach to it. How does one set it up, etc.

Thank you very much.

I can be reached at james@nexus-canada.com if you do not want to post on here.

#2 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:22 PM

good day all,

I am hoping someone could help me with fireballs. I am a licensed pyrotechnician in Canada and can aquire any powder/chemical, however, I have never attempted fireballs, but need to produce one this June. I know it is a BP / gas mix, and plan on starting small, but would appreciate any advice from someone who has dealt with this prior to. I am mainly looking to know how much BP to how much gasoline and the safest approach to it. How does one set it up, etc.

Thank you very much.

I can be reached at james@nexus-canada.com if you do not want to post on here.

I would avoid posting your e-mail address on a forum, there are companies who scan forums for e-mail addresses to add to their spam lists.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#3 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:24 PM

In the UK you can buy such things ready to fire, they're often called "flameburst generators". I believe they sometmes use a mixture of napthalene and BP to avoid the difficulties associated with inflammable liquids

Edited by pyrotrev, 26 March 2006 - 05:24 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#4 nexus

nexus

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:44 AM

In the UK you can buy such things ready to fire, they're often called "flameburst generators". I believe they sometmes use a mixture of napthalene and BP to avoid the difficulties associated with inflammable liquids

I appreciate the advice guys... does anyone know what the amount of BP is to the amount of gasoline and how both are packed and set up in oder to fire? I was told one time that a BP b**b placed under a small bag of gasoline in a mortor and fired is the trick.... how much BP, how much gas, is it in a bag or not? size of mortor.

Thanks

#5 Kevin J

Kevin J

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:57 PM

Sorry this is off topic guys but since nexus hasn't posted anywhere else I can't ask him in a more appropiat place.

Nexus, I live the great, powerful, beaver controlled nation of Canada as well. I have read about pyrotechnics certifacation for display pyrotechnics and special effects but not building fireworks. is this the same certifacation as one of those or is it something totally different?

#6 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:12 PM

Hello

I?ve seen Pyro companies here and in the US use a Gallon container of Gasoline/Petrol and wrap it with about 6 feet of I think its called blasting cord, I?ve seen this being used and I thought it was very Impressive, I?ve also seen 50/50 mix of BP and thickened Gasoline/Petrol mix to.

Steve

http://pulsar46.tripod.com

#7 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:48 PM

The "quick and dirty way" is to use a resin-sealed and e-matched bag containing 250g of 4FA. Drop it in the bottom of your steel mortar and fill with 7.5 liters of gasoline.

Powdered milk fat or fine sawdust also makes a good effect.

Hello

I?ve seen Pyro companies here and in the US use a Gallon container of Gasoline/Petrol and wrap it with about 6 feet of I think its called blasting cord, I?ve seen this being used and I thought it was very Impressive, I?ve also seen 50/50 mix of BP and thickened Gasoline/Petrol mix to.

Steve

#8 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:09 PM

The "quick and dirty way" is to use a resin-sealed and e-matched bag containing 250g of 4FA. Drop it in the bottom of your steel mortar and fill with 7.5 liters of gasoline.

Powdered milk fat or fine sawdust also makes a good effect.

Just to add to that last post by you frank depending on what effect your looking for what Ive done is place a wooden board over the top of the steel tube with a coulpe of spades of soil on it, good for sim battle or fake b**m drops.

#9 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

Wooden board before or after the soil? Either way, you shouldn't need it, and it could be quite a hazard.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#10 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:09 AM

Wooden board before or after the soil? Either way, you shouldn't need it, and it could be quite a hazard.

Adam just to clarify again, board goes on top of the steel tube, soil placed on TOP of the board with a small amount of BP or the flame effect substance inside the tube, sometimes the board is weakened so it breaks into small pieces, some people use a plastic tub filled with sand to, this throws soil or sand in the air about 3-6 mtrs to make it look like a b**m or mine has exploded under the ground, this is used in things like for instance in model plane battle displays, movies, have you seen the movie "Saving Private Ryan" this system is used a lot in that movie, as to a hazard don't you think pyro in general can be a hazard? Have you done theatre or special effects pyro? Please don't try to undermine my comments, or I will shoot you with my BAZOOKA :D but thank you for your reply.

Edited by shell shooter man, 05 April 2006 - 05:06 AM.

#11 delta_echo

delta_echo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:47 PM

Adam just to clarify again, board goes on top of the steel tube, soil placed on TOP of the board with a small amount of BP or the flame effect substance inside the tube, sometimes the board is weakened so it breaks into small pieces, some people use a plastic tub filled with sand to, this throws soil or sand in the air about 3-6 mtrs to make it look like a b**m or mine has exploded under the ground, this is used in things like for instance in model plane battle displays, movies, have you seen the movie "Saving Private Ryan" this system is used a lot in that movie, as to a hazard don't you think pyro in general can be a hazard? Have you done theatre or special effects pyro? Please don't try to undermine my comments, or I will shoot you with my BAZOOKA :D but thank you for your reply.

Why that configuration? Seems unnecessary and adds another potentional danger by means of a flying board. And, yes, I've done pyro for several amateur films, one a war film with lots of explosions.

Also, where are you getting that "Saving Private Ryan" used the method you described. I'd like a link or something I could see for myself as I have never heard anyone using such a configuration.

#12 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:40 PM

Why that configuration? Seems unnecessary and adds another potentional danger by means of a flying board. And, yes, I've done pyro for several amateur films, one a war film with lots of explosions.

Also, where are you getting that "Saving Private Ryan" used the method you described. I'd like a link or something I could see for myself as I have never heard anyone using such a configuration.

This is getting silly now, Ive worked with some of the stunt performers that worked on Private Ryan, I do special fx displays and model plane aero displays, they tend not to be botherd if a bit of ply flying about 6 feet in the air :wacko: hits a model plane! duh :wacko: I'm sure your quite able to do your own research and you are calling me a lyer so YOU tell me what method they use in the movie or to simulate ground mines?????? your the big FX expert!!! why have you not posted about this til now as this is about explosions, and you are such an expert!

Lets hear it?

Edited by shell shooter man, 06 April 2006 - 10:08 PM.

#13 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:57 PM

This is getting silly now, Ive worked with some of the stunt performers that worked on Private Ryan, I do special fx displays and model plane aero displays, they tend not to be botherd if a bit of ply flying about 6 feet in the air :wacko: hits a model plane! duh :wacko: I'm sure your quite able to do your own research and you are calling me a lyer so YOU tell me what method they use in the movie or to simulate ground mines?????? your the big FX expert!!! why have you not posted about this til now as this is about explosions, and you are such an expert!

Lets hear it?

Tell you guys what... go to www.detonationfilms.com, and leave a message for Bob, the site admin, and *ask* him. If anyone is taking bets, I think most of them use compressed air cannon under a few lb of ovendried dirt (oven baked to kill fungal spores, etc ) to simulate combat mines.
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#14 delta_echo

delta_echo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:10 AM

Lets hear it?

Your haughty attitude coupled with your apparent tendency to become offended easily seems to indicate that need to focus on another aspect of your life other than pyro for the time being. First off, I never claimed to be an expert, merely that I have hands-on experience with the subject (which is what you accused previous posters of lacking). Second, I never once called you a liar. I operate my life on the fact that one should be able to back up a statement with evidence. I, for one, rarely take anything I read on the internet to be "absolute truth" without verifying the matter myself. An exception exists for those that have proven to be true and correct multiple times in the past. The same is true in any relationship. Anyways, if you worked with the guys who did the visual FX, well, then there are your credentials right there. I personally know a few guys who helped out with the Band of Brothers series, as well as have researched a large amount into visual FX, both in books, the net, and interviews in movies such as Saving Private Ryan.
I have seen fireballs (which is the subject for the thread) made from diesel fuel and det cord, air cannons using a volatile fuel that is ejected and then lit, nap fireballs, as well as just simple tubes loaded with a BP lifting charge and a seperate "ignition charge" of BP. I'm sure members here can add a few more to the list. I personally use Nap fireballs (75 Naphthalene/ 25 BP with a BP lifting charge) merely because I usually film in dry, desert environments where fallout can easily start a raging fire, as well as endanger actors in close proximity.
That being said, once again, I do not claim to be a professional pyrotechnician. I am active duty military and that takes up most of my life. Once again, however, if you have a link to the setup you described, I would like to see it - not to prove your honesty - but in the interest of learning a new, potentially useful technique. Have a good one.

#15 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:57 PM

Sorry to leave the topic so long.

Shell Shooter Man, depending on the type of 'wood' you mean, I can agree with you, but nothing thicker than very thin ply should be used, and besides, I can think of many better things.

For your info, actually I have worked on many films (James Bond, Troy and Tomb Raider are some of the more high-profile ones, as well as 'Thunderbirds', but let's forget about that eh!), TV shows, live action battle re-enactments and stage effects so I speak with experience, but tend not to parade about talking about it.

Introducing any unneccesary hard debris into a scene is asking for trouble. Cork bale, sand or good old earth would be up there with the better choices. A shard of wooden board flying through the air will cut somebody with the same devestation as a piece of steel.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users