• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:43 PM

Mumbles has kindly reminded me that a coffee grinder can be superior to a ball mill for powdering some materials. It seems to me that the ideal machine for pyro use would have spare grinding "cups" (easily and cheaply) available for different compounds, and the cups should be made of something fairly non-reactive (ceramic, tough plastic, stainless steel) not the usual poorly plated steel. Does anyone know of such an object at a reasonable price (i.e. not what you have to pay for a laboratory mill) please?

Edited by pyrotrev, 31 March 2006 - 06:44 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#2 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:03 PM

Both Moulinex and Tefal make electric coffee mills with tough plastic cups. They retail for about ?15 to ?20 new, or you might find one at a junk shop or garage sale for half that or less. I was given mine. The only drawback is that the cups are a bit small, but it does grind hardwood charcoal so they are tough little devils. Only use them for about 5 mins at a time or you may burn the motor out (like I did with the first one :wub: ).
Friends mums, and aunties etc may have one they never use. Clothes mail order catalogues went through a spate of giving them away as a free gift for signing up with them. Otherwise hardware shop dealing in kitchen equipment may stock them.

Happy hunting
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#3 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:43 AM

Look for Kitchenaid BCG100WH. It's a 200W coffee grinder with a removable stainless steel cup. It's built much like a blender, with that same rubber toothed coupling at the base. They are easy to clean after use by removing the cup and hosing it out. They also claim to be dishwasher-safe.

A little tip: When grinding, place a coffee filter over the top of the metal cup before placing the lid on. The clear plastic lid has a lip around the top which semi-seals around the top of the metal cup, but adding the coffee filter almost eliminates any migration of the material being milled.

Edited by FrankRizzo, 01 April 2006 - 12:44 AM.

#4 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:22 PM

Look for Kitchenaid BCG100WH.

Unfortunately this model seems to be discontinued in the UK (always the same with anything useful :angry:) thanks for the suggestion anyway Frank.

#5 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:14 AM

I use the Revel Jegs CCM101.

It hasn't got a stainless steel cup, but the motor is 280W, and the cup is fairly sturdy polycarbonate. I put some MgAl chunks in it and only scored it up a little.

It's available for about ?30 from John Lewis

#6 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:09 PM

I use the Revel Jegs CCM101.

It hasn't got a stainless steel cup, but the motor is 280W, and the cup is fairly sturdy polycarbonate. I put some MgAl chunks in it and only scored it up a little.

It's available for about ?30 from John Lewis

Thanks. Is the cup removable for cleaning please?? (another problem with my existing Moulinex - washing the whole thing including motor and switch doesn't seem to be recommended) :huh:

#7 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

The cup is removeable, as are the blades. It really is a nice little grinder!

#8 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:52 PM

Does the 1-year-guarantee apply to milling charcoal and MgAl, too ?! :o

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#9 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:44 PM

Well, you could always argue that they company never warned you not to mill metals and charcoal.

Edited by sizzle, 08 June 2006 - 04:45 PM.

Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#10 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:14 PM

I've never used an electric coffee grinder, but was thinking of buying one. Do you need to bash the charcoal a bit first, or can you put in full sticks? Also, when it grinds does the charcoal fall through some kind of screen into a box, or is it basically like a small blender?

#11 rocket

rocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:14 AM

Well the one I have it like that, it?s just a small metal bowl with two cutting blades. Just don?t grind BP in it as I have found that the powder gets all though the motor.

#12 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:16 AM

Im supprised you dont have bits of metal in you!!

#13 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:31 AM

Well the one I have it like that, it?s just a small metal bowl with two cutting blades. Just don?t grind BP in it as I have found that the powder gets all though the motor.

:blink: Er, lucky escape there, not a very sparky motor then. :ph34r:

#14 rocket

rocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:19 AM

Well it did spark once and its last time, I was trying to fix it and well I didn?t realize the power was till on, so I when to stick the screwdriver in it and I got a blinding flash and a lot of sparks. Luck it was a sparkys screwdriver with a rubber coating. I don?t use one any more got me ball mill.
Speaking of electricity I got 240volts though me hand the other day and wow what a feeling.

#15 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:33 AM

Well it did spark once and its last time, I was trying to fix it and well I didn?t realize the power was till on, so I when to stick the screwdriver in it and I got a blinding flash and a lot of sparks. Luck it was a sparkys screwdriver with a rubber coating. I don?t use one any more got me ball mill.
Speaking of electricity I got 240volts though me hand the other day and wow what a feeling.

Lucky you didn't get a burn from that, I once cut 13 Amp (fused) flex and burnt a 5mm chunk out of hardened steel.

Bet you've noticed a difference to BP now you've got a ball mill. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users