82 replies to this topic

#1 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:36 PM

Does anyone know if the fireworks factory in Joyce Green, Dartford is still up or been knocked down?
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:05 PM

The Astra factory? Long gone.

#3 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:18 PM

To what i can tell the buildings still seem to be stud though alot are down, i think it was wells fireworks.

I wish these factories are cleaned out a little and made has some type of heratige site for the public to see just waht the factory was like instead of destroying them all or letting them rot.

Edit: Here is an arial view of the old grounds from google search http://img256.images...dartford5ri.jpg

Edited by pyrotechnist, 28 June 2006 - 11:25 PM.

#4 Karl

Karl

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:32 PM

Looks like a firework site to me.

The buildings are equally and safely spaced. Wouldn't mind some closeups of that!

#5 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:45 PM

Sure its still there just abandoned lol i think anyone can get in. http://img261.images...ldfireworkf.jpg

Thnx goes to firefiend for the image.

Edited by pyrotechnist, 28 June 2006 - 11:47 PM.

#6 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

Cool pics. i wonder who owns that place now?

Do you think it would be too hard to rent a couple of the sheds? Maybe a good place to begin looking for a home for "us types"?

#7 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:45 PM

To my knowlage the council do but its abandoned and alot of sheds have burnt out cars near it lol. But the sheds seem uunscaved, probably a mess inside but some are locked or most so maby they arn't to bad like the shed in my pic i posted above.

I wish this factory could be re used instead of wasting away.

Edit: just to see the size of this place look at the below images.
http://img503.images...e=sheds80av.jpg

http://img195.images...=sheds133lq.jpg (notice the burnt cars)

http://img417.images...e=sheds74oz.jpg

What looks like grass is dam trees lol this factory is massive.

Edited by pyrotechnist, 29 June 2006 - 04:53 PM.

#8 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:02 AM

It was Wells, then Astra, then Unwins pyrotechnics. I went there shortly after it closed down. I have the special rules from one of the sheds somewhere. I have some photos of it. It was all snowy when I went. I used to collect gunpowder from there for a short while, for the factory that I worked in, as ICI wouldn't deliver to us at the time (strange people).

The day I went there, they were burning off thousands of thunderflashes and paintball effects. It was a very big site in it's day.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#9 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:43 PM

Nice by anychance can i see your pictures?

MortarTube do you know if this site is still up to what i can see 3 years ago all the sheds were fine bit trashed but were standing. Though they may have gone now :( i am hoping not. England own nout to there name anymore this sucks how each factory is just being built over with houses.

Edited by pyrotechnist, 30 June 2006 - 01:56 PM.

#10 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:17 PM

I don't know if it still stands. I was told that it had all been flattened but I can't confirm that. John Bennett at the fireworks magazine would probably know. I'll have to try and dig out the photos and scan them in, as they are those old fashioned paper thingies. None of your digital rubbish here.

The guy who owned the factory that I used to work in, started at Joyce Green Lane when it was Wells. Apparently, they had to notify the nearby hospital whenever they wanted to test maroons, as they performed vasectomies there and didn't want any mistakes. lol!.

The saddest thing is that when Wells was cleared out, before Astra moved in, they dumped 100 year old setpiece frames and the original limelights that Wells started their business with, before they ever got into fireworks. They all lay at the bottom of a Kent landfill somewhere. R.I.P
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#11 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:28 PM

Dam i hope its still there i wana go and see the place before it is flattened though it probably isn't now like all factories.

#12 NoName

NoName

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:02 PM

Heh, I've been planning a trip there (Well, Its only a walk away) for a few weeks now. I think you where even involved. (looking at the name in that MSN convo in that screenshot (Im Moddy (28days later, urbex...), He might have spoke about me))

Im hoping to go there tomorrow, then I'll upload some pics and show if its worth a return visit.

Edited by NoName, 14 July 2006 - 05:06 PM.

#13 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:31 PM

Yes its me have a good time mate and bring back lots of pics :). I aint alloud to go now which put a whipe over my fire.

#14 concept

concept

Complies with BS7114: Part 2 1988...Not

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:29 PM

Hi just reviving an old thread here, I visited the Wells site at Joyce green with my dad on the way back from a relatives house yesterday. I could only spend 5-10 minuets there but it was interesting none the less, access was easy, the main gates are open but there is a small concrete block in front of them, presumably to stop cars from entering. Anyway the two big buildings at the front have some fire damage one is very badly burnt. Only a couple of the "sheds" have fallen down but that is to be expected as the site has been abandoned for almost 30 years (correct me if I’m wrong). Other building have some interesting stuff in them, for example one has two posters reading "General rules for factories licensed under the Explosives act 1875", I didn't take them but it’s a shame to think they might rot away. I only had time to visit 10 or so huts, but as I may be going again in the near future for a proper visit I can have a real look around. Anyone who has any information about the history of this place or any stories I would be very interested to hear them. Also does anyone know where the Astra factory is, or any other firework factory in the London area.

Just to make this clear this place is still standing.

Sorry for the long post :rolleyes:

Thanks Doug

#15 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:13 PM

I believe this old fireworks site still has the old huts!

Wouldn`t it be great to have a pyro club here at Dartford, perhaps with enough investment shared between 6 or 8 of us, we could consider paying the land owners some peppercorn rent for its use to make fireworks again?...........I can`t see why we can`t make our own fireworks for our own display company?

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 10 July 2008 - 02:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users