• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Give_me_APCP

Give_me_APCP

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:15 AM

I figured this would be a good thread to start, since we currently don't have one like it covering rockets/missiles specifically.

I feel rockets and missiles are some of the most varied pyrotechnic devices in terms of construction/materials used.

So, I encourage all to please post their favorite propellant formulas, as well as construction design techniques for anything that they have made or seen. Any pictures/video available would be an excellent addition to the thread as well.

Please feel no need to keep it short (unless you want to), and elaborate your design for others to understand.

If you can list any other specs such as tubing used, tube diameters/thickness, nozzle dimensions/material, stick size, etc to describe a design - please do so as well. This includes any motor design specifics like cored/coreless and packed/rammed propellant.

(Mention anything that hasn't exactly worked as well. :wacko: )

#2 acoop101

acoop101

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:44 AM

Has anyone tried making a stinger missile out of an estese rocket motor? I have a bunch of C and D motors left over from a model rocket that I lost in to the sea. Does any one know how sensative the propellent is in these rockets?

#3 Give_me_APCP

Give_me_APCP

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:06 AM

Has anyone tried making a stinger missile out of an estese rocket motor? I have a bunch of C and D motors left over from a model rocket that I lost in to the sea. Does any one know how sensative the propellent is in these rockets?

What do you mean by a stinger missile? They are black powder motors and are not designed for fireworks, I recommend making your own motors or using these in a model. You could make some pyro rockets with these by scraping the clay out of the delay end to reveal more black powder, but ah why not make your own? They are weak for decent payloads in my opinion anyway.

If by sensitive you mean how powerful they are, they are on the lower end of propellants power-wise. They are endburners because they burn fast, though.

Potassium nitrate/sugar motors will give you roughly 50% more power, while ammonium perchlorate will give you roughly 90-100% more power than BP.

#4 al93535

al93535

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:56 AM

!!!!

Edited by al93535, 09 August 2006 - 06:03 PM.

The more I learn, the more I know I don't know.

#5 Bluehawk

Bluehawk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:33 PM

For my One pound core burners I make the fuel like this:
500 gram batch useing a Thumblers Tumbler Model B and 100 .58 caliber lead balls
Prilled fertilizer grade KNO3: 60%
Charcoal 36 mesh : 10
I ball mill these two together for 12 hours and it comes out like baby powder with the nitrate and charcoal well mixed into each other.
From there I just screen in: (window screen works well)
Sulfur: 9
Charcoal 80 mesh: 20
Charcoal 36 mesh: 01

I use one or two methods with this mix...just dampen it lightly and either hammer ram or press it with my arbor press (depending on my mood) into the 3/4"casing or I wet it down a lot and push it through window screen to granulate it and when dry use one or the other methods mentioned above to charge the case.
This formula leaves a tail that reaches from the ground all the way up to the rockets apex.
The reason I ball mill the nitrate and 36 mesh charcoal together is because if I try and mill prilled nitrate alone it will just stick to the .58 caliber lead balls in my mill. The addition of large mesh charcoal solves that problem.
For the nozzle and bulkhead I use sanded tile grout lightly dampened and press both with the arbor press. The nozzles are like concrete and never fail!
This formula lifts a 3-inch cannister shell with ease!
If you want a bright sparkly white tail you can use 8-10% additional Titanium but do NOT hammer ram that...press it ONLY!

Edited by Bluehawk, 21 July 2006 - 01:43 PM.

#6 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:34 PM

The length to width ratio of an estes motor is not good enough for a stinger, for a 1/2" stinger I use a 1.5" to 2.5" tube, much longer and you risk launching something unstable, also it is good to use a wider tube such as 3/4" x 3.5" long. You could try with the estes motor if you really want but use a long fuse in a deserted field! Even when built correctly stingers dont always fly very straight so angle your launch pin a few degrees away from the audience.

Also with a stinger how do you intend to get the launch spindle in their when estes rockets are end burning? Drilling a core in there will more than likely just make it CATO.

The propellant I use is a 70% kno3, 10% sulfur and 20% of some cheap hardwood charcoal (not the reprocessed kind in briquettes though as it has grit in which could block the nozzle) I know people say not to use any designed for barbecues as you dont know what wood type it is, but if you turn a lot to airfloat at once, say 200g+ then you get an average of the type of wood that is in their and from one batch to the next of ball milled charcoal it behaves fairly similar. I ball mill the charcoal and sulphur together for 20 to 30 mins just to get them well integrated with no lumps, and then put in the kno3 and mill for 4 hours.

I use a 1/2" tool set from pyrotooling.com and I have made 8 of these so far with no problems at all, all flew straight and quite high. For the break I use balsa BP or balsa H3 depending on whether the effect contains sulfur.

On one of the rockets I used 15% airfloat and 5% 20 mesh hardwood charcoal for a better trailing effect. (I shouldn't have to tell you but if you try this then add the 20 mesh AFTER you ball mill it :P )

This same formula works for some tiny 1/4" x 2" rockets which i usually drill a 1" core into. I had one lifting a 1" ball shell a few weeks ago and it flew quite straight.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#7 Give_me_APCP

Give_me_APCP

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:31 AM

On one of the rockets I used 15% airfloat and 5% 20 mesh hardwood charcoal for a better trailing effect.

Is the hardwood what actually provides the trail? Or a combination of the airfloat with it?

The trailing effect is very cool looking. Is it possible to get a good trail like this in an ammonium perchlorate motor? I know combustion temps may be a bit higher, but would this diminish the trail?

#8 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:55 AM

It's the large mesh charcoal that adds the majority of the trail. The airfloat will mainly produce the flame from the motor. Due to the larger particle size, it burns a lot longer and will hang for a longer period of time. With 20 mesh I could definatly see it hanging until the rocket is at it's apex. Even with 60 or 80 mesh charcoal the tail hangs a while.

#9 Spudgun

Spudgun

Alex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:45 PM

Hello!
This is my first new post and to start off I would just like to say thanks to everyone on this forum for providing someone like me with a goldmine of information! I have just got into pyro, focusing mainly on the rocketry aspect and am keen to learn more.

I have built and experimented with some visco rockets (as described here) with great success http://www.skylighte...cle.asp?Item=63
They are great fun. Has anyone else built these rockets with a payload on?

My next project is to create some '5 cent sugar rockets' with a small payload.

Thanks everyone

#10 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

You're lucky. Much as I've tried, I just can't get those visco rockets to work.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#11 Spudgun

Spudgun

Alex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:12 PM

You're lucky. Much as I've tried, I just can't get those visco rockets to work.

What type of visco do you use? I have made mine with some 3/32'' flying fish, but they can also be made with 2mm chinese visco. It's all in rolling the fuse up nice and tight :)

#12 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:46 PM

What type of visco do you use? I have made mine with some 3/32'' flying fish, but they can also be made with 2mm chinese visco. It's all in rolling the fuse up nice and tight :)

Chinese green visco. Not one success out of 15 or so, so I gave up.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#13 BPBR

BPBR

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:01 PM

Is it possible to make an rocket that would fly more than 300 feets high using potassium nitrate as oxidizer and other easy to obtatin components in the mix as the fuel :) ?

Edited by BPBR, 07 November 2006 - 09:02 PM.

Try to ignore my english mistakes :P

#14 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:41 PM

Is it possible to make an rocket that would fly more than 300 feets high using potassium nitrate as oxidizer and other easy to obtatin components in the mix as the fuel :) ?

A search for 'BP rocket' should find plenty of results, or even sugar rockets can reach quite decent heights.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#15 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:46 PM

Yes, pretty easy. The fancy rockets some guys make with kn03/sugar with several stages are pretty crazy, there's a website somewhere about casting propellant from it. Simple rockets would also go past 300ft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users