31 replies to this topic

#1 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:57 PM

The UK Pyrotechnic society - Events

As you know the UK pyrotechnic society organises a number of events for the benefit of its members. As well as an annual convention [where tutorials and workshops are given], we have arranged a factory tour of Kimbolton fireworks, and organised many "meet and greet" events around the country. These events have proved highly successful in the past and we are committed to continuing them in the future.

The UKPS is keen to be representative of the pyrotechnic community, and would therefore like to hear its ideas for possible future events, visits and workshops.

Please post all such ideas under this thread - All sensible legal suggestions will be considered.

#2 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:52 PM

Idea: The UKPS Christmas Meet-up/display?
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#3 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:30 PM

Care to elaborate?

#4 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:40 PM

Care to elaborate?

A meet-up of all UKPS members just before Christmas where members can discuss their plans for new years, events coming up in the next year etc and just a general pyro chat. Followed by a nice display to finish the evening, just before Christmas.

#5 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:17 PM

Well I anticipate we will be holding our AGM in december, I am sure a social sideline to this could be arranged.

#6 Gavin

Gavin

• UKPS Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:59 PM

I think a couple of workshops on the following lines would be very interesting:-

Show set up - manual firing. General layout, securing of racks, cakes, rockets etc. Fusing methods used in practise for candles, cakes, mines, mortars, fountains, rockets, lancework, etc. Put in delays, link multiple items, waterproofing etc. It would be good to know how the professionals do it.

Electrical firing - How the show is scripted on computer, how it's wired up from computer to sequencer ... to e-match. How e-matches are safely and securely fastened to the common pyro items.

#7 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:00 PM

I think a couple of workshops on the following lines would be very interesting:-

Show set up - manual firing. General layout, securing of racks, cakes, rockets etc. Fusing methods used in practise for candles, cakes, mines, mortars, fountains, rockets, lancework, etc. Put in delays, link multiple items, waterproofing etc. It would be good to know how the professionals do it.

Electrical firing - How the show is scripted on computer, how it's wired up from computer to sequencer ... to e-match. How e-matches are safely and securely fastened to the common pyro items.

So Cat 4 training basically?

#8 Gavin

Gavin

• UKPS Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:26 PM

I certainly wasn't thinking that. The workshops at the first UKPS convention were less than an hour which would be enough time to give an insight how the pro's do things, but no way training. I thought it would be an interesting workshop that's all. Maybe my original post was more detailed than needed, just trying to come up with some ideas that would interest others.

#9 Guest_Shrubsole_*

Guest_Shrubsole_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:22 PM

Oh! I was under the impression that this site was only for those who already held a "Making and Storage" licence?
I mean all those 10,000s of posts about making fountains or ANY kind of firework must be made by people with a "Making and Storage" licence.

So by that account 99.9% of members already has a "Making and Storage" licence.

Hell! I must be the only member here who doesn't have one.

That's why I can't post about such things as you all do! :rolleyes:

:)

Edited by Shrubsole, 18 October 2006 - 09:17 PM.

#10 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:48 PM

Oh! I was under the impression that this site was only for those who already held a Cat 4 licence?
I mean all those 10,000s of posts about making fountains or ANY kind of firework must be made by people with a Cat 4 licence.

So by that account 99.9% of members already has a Cat 4 licence.

Hell! I must be the only member here who doesn't have one.

That's why I can't post about such things as you all do! :rolleyes:

There is no such thing as a Cat 4 lisence. You mean a making and storage lisence. You do not need a lisence to posess/buy Cat 4.

#11 Guest_Shrubsole_*

Guest_Shrubsole_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:16 PM

There is no such thing as a Cat 4 lisence. You mean a making and storage lisence. You do not need a lisence to posess/buy Cat 4.

Yeah OK, we will call it the "making and storage" licence if you prefer.

I have now edited my post to read the same no matter what it is that every other poster on here has but I don't.

Edited by Shrubsole, 18 October 2006 - 09:20 PM.

#12 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:33 PM

You need a storage liCence and (normally year round) 3rd party liability insurance to buy cat4.
Manufacturing is a whole different ball game...

I like the idea of a course on show layout and design. It doesnt have to be specifically cat4 does it. It could improve shows we all fire with cat3 as well. Accounting for fallout space, what to do with weather, firing order & patterns...
Yes i think it would be very worthwhile for nearly everyone. Even the people who have done lots before might be able to swap tips & tricks etc.

#13 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:40 PM

Yes i think it would be very worthwhile for nearly everyone. Even the people who have done lots before might be able to swap tips & tricks etc.

Seconded... some insight into the the choreography of displays would be welcome. How to combine colours and effects, how to sequence intros / side shows / finales etc. Even some of the business aspects of organising shows would be useful, managing events, winning contracts and so on...

Some of us might just be the pro's of the future :)

Regarding events in general, one of the striking things about the UKPS convention was how fun it was to be able to talk about pyro matters with forum members in person. Maybe the UKPS could organise a simple pub trip every couple of months, in a different town around the country each time, just to meet up and share our experiences...

Edited by BrightStar, 18 October 2006 - 10:50 PM.

#14 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

Regarding events in general, one of the striking things about the UKPS convention was how fun it was to be able to talk about pyro matters with forum members in person. Maybe the UKPS could organise a simple pub trip every couple of months, in a different town around the country each time, just to meet up and share our experiences...

But we do... There were a few "meet the UKPS" events. A few more will be published shortly.

#15 Guest_Shrubsole_*

Guest_Shrubsole_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:55 AM

Well I anticipate we will be holding our AGM in december, I am sure a social sideline to this could be arranged.

AGM in December! :o

That's a bit short notice for all your members to attend isn't is?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users