• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 soulx

soulx

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:03 PM

A 3/4 Tube (m 80 size , so ive bene told), filled with BP, sealed with the paper plugs, then dipped into air drying clay to seal it.. my question is this, would this create a banger that is going to produce a loud bang and flash , or is it going to pop out the paper plug and clay sealing and go off like a flare?

Reason im asking this question is because i recently read about a guy who made like 200 bangers to find out they were all going off like flares and not actually exploding in the tube..

Thanks in advance, sorry if it is a dumb question , new to the firework making business ;p

#2 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:19 PM

depends how well milled it is. If you've ball milled it for a few days it should work fine, if not, then yes, chances are tore will be a small report and a flare

#3 soulx

soulx

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:21 PM

depends how well milled it is. If you've ball milled it for a few days it should work fine, if not, then yes, chances are tore will be a small report and a flare

Itll be balled milled for quite some time yes.. it still wont produce a good banger? is it because of clay sealing? i thought industry bangers used clay to seal?

#4 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:54 PM

Would that not produce flying pieces of clay 'shrapnel' ?!

I always took the paper-only approach and never had a problem.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#5 soulx

soulx

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:06 PM

Would that not produce flying pieces of clay 'shrapnel' ?!

I always took the paper-only approach and never had a problem.

well in my opinion its no different to hardend glue , hard glue propelled at high speed could do the same amount of dmg as clay propelled at high speed, and clay has more of a chance of shattering/crumbling when the banger goes off than being propelled as shrapnel , where as glue is hard but flexible & would not shatter/crumble on explosion off the banger, just my opinion , maybe right maybe wrong but seems right to me.. and industrial bangers use clay in theres, ive never seen an industrial firework use glue as a seal.. that must tell you something... not that im saying theres anything wrong with glue, i know nothing about it , but if industrial bangers use clay and not glue, and if clay can shatter like 99% easier than hardend glue could, i think glue would be shrapnel before clay would.. you maybe saying how can glue be shrapnel if it doesnt shatter peices.. well it would be more of a flying bullet than flying shrapenl but its all the same in my opinion...

Edited by soulx, 05 November 2006 - 08:08 PM.

#6 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:04 PM

Surely the glue is more likely to stay in one piece, whereas clay will become more like dust? I prefer paper though

#7 Guest_Shrubsole_*

Guest_Shrubsole_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:22 PM

1. How thick is your tube? (Harder to get out = more pressure build up (or held back) = louder bang when it does break)

2. Long ball milled BP... What type? Fast willow? Slow Lump wood? Corned? Riced? (all act very differently)

Therefore, if you put unprocessed slow burning BP in a thin paper tube you will have reinvented the Fountain!

#8 Artopunk14

Artopunk14

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:36 AM

Wrap it in Duct tape, safe and works very well.

#9 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 01:29 PM

We don't really like talking about bangers here. And as for the person who made 200 bangers which didn't work: serves them right!
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users