• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

any advice on comps suited to this sort of problem?

#2 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:15 AM

any advice on comps suited to this sort of problem?

There is no way to win. Give up now.

Seriously, in the US, every single pyro that I know who has gotten into serious problems with the law, was reported by a pissed off wife, ex-wife, or girlfriend. Once the romance is over, a single comment by a woman saying "I'm afraid he'll blow me up" and you WILL go to jail. You might get off in court, but the police will arrest you, tranport and book you into a cell.

Hopefully your "significant other" enjoys fireworks. Make a family outing of it, with a picnic, barbeque, something... let her light some stuff (safely!) or even help design something. Make shells that break in her favorite colors, etc... Let her know you were thinking of *her* when you built that pink and aqua multi-break.
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#3 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:38 AM

There is no way to win. Give up now.

I have to say that many g.f.'s of fellow pyros enjoy the test shoots. It's just the countless hours mixing 'messy' compositions, and the challenge of living with someone who usually has black powder in their hair that they find a problem...

Frozentech, it would be great to hear some stories if you have them :)

Edited by BrightStar, 01 April 2007 - 10:58 AM.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:24 PM

Just have (and practice) a set piece like

"... yep, hugh-ugh, yep, give us a minute, hummm..."

and so on, I find it works wonders until you get a clip round the ear. Then you could use the old,

"you really need to get my attention before talking to me... I can't concentrate on more than one thing at a time... I'm not a woman... I'm not as good as you"

Perhaps spend some quality time every now and then, but be careful that individual 'once in a whiles' do not blend into each other.

Or make sure that hobbies happen far away from home and turn your mobile off.

#5 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:55 PM

Or make sure that hobbies happen far away from home and turn your mobile off.

And anyone you're with that 'she' knows the number of.
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#6 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:39 AM

I have to say that many g.f.'s of fellow pyros enjoy the test shoots. It's just the countless hours mixing 'messy' compositions, and the challenge of living with someone who usually has black powder in their hair that they find a problem...

Frozentech, it would be great to hear some stories if you have them :)

Well the archetypal case that I am somewhat familiar with would be Brian Redmond. His wife was leaving him, and wanted to get everything they had, and did him dirty. She reported to the police that she was afraid he would blow her and the house up. He was arrested and jailed for a variety of counts, including 9 felony counts of constructing a destructive device ( aerial shells ! ). He got out on bail, and after many miserable months of fighting, including hiring Bill Ofca as an expert witness he was aquitted on the felony counts, found guilty of one count of illegally possesing fireworks, place on probation, and forbidden to be involved with pyrotechnics, at the cost of returning to jail.

There have been others. I know people who may yet come to grief over it, since it comes up in each domestic spat.
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#7 GBthriller

GBthriller

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

He got out on bail, and after many miserable months of fighting, including hiring Bill Ofca as an expert witness he was aquitted on the felony counts, found guilty of one count of illegally possesing fireworks, place on probation, and forbidden to be involved with pyrotechnics, at the cost of returning to jail.

Think of the poor fellas with kids. You would think that if the cops had an idea of what was happening in the domestic spat it could/ would count for some consideration before getting all lathered up and throwing the book at him. Then again, any of us who have encountered our paramilitaric finest know they approach most situations with one palm full of pistol grip.

Too bad.

#8 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:23 PM

Copious amounts of barium nitrate/arsenic compounds.

#9 Caramanos2000

Caramanos2000

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:53 PM

Cold hard cash.

#10 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

Then again, any of us who have encountered our paramilitaric finest know they approach most situations with one palm full of pistol grip.

Not always true in the UK... maybe in the States <_< My only near miss was many years ago testing a very small 1" star mine in a local park on November 5th when I overdid the Benzolift (about 3g) causing a bit of a bang. The local officers were clearly out and about looking for kids setting off fireworks and pulled up as I walked away carrying a smoking mortar in a carrier bag... Nothing came of it, they laughed and drove away :)

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:59 AM

I walked away carrying a smoking mortar in a carrier bag... Nothing came of it, they laughed and drove away :)

ello ello, what do we 'ave 'ere then? Junior-IRA is it? We'll look for the target in the morning! On your way.

Good thing it was fireworks night! Otherwise holding the smoking gun would have probably led to cuffs.

Edited by Andrew, 31 May 2007 - 08:01 AM.

#12 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:56 PM

Good thing it was fireworks night! Otherwise holding the smoking gun would have probably led to cuffs.

LOL :) Yes, I kind of miss the old days when you could walk through the local park on fireworks night and almost be guaranteed a 'display' by the local kids.

My 1" star mines back then were really crap - they would fire sideways, downwards, noisily bury themselves in the ground, anything but do what they were supposed to. No wonder they just laughed :D

Edited by BrightStar, 31 May 2007 - 06:02 PM.

#13 Farnet

Farnet

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

The way I get around my wife when I want to go and tinker is to just say that I'm going to the shed and see it I can make the earth move, and ask her if she would like to join me.... She just rolls her eyes and shuts the door in my face.

Over in Guernsey where I grew up we used to test our experiments out in the old WWII German bunkers, lets just say tunnels and rooms made with 10ft thick reinforced concrete 40ft underground can take even the largest of fireworks..... only problems was cycling home smelling of KNO3 and completely deaf....... the best was making smoke b@mbs.... then realising the only way out is back throught the tunnel with zero visibility.
Everything is poisonous if taken in the extreme.

Take time for example, have too much of it and you will eventually die....

#14 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:47 PM

Cold hard cash.

So true, often the key to "romance".
I decided that it was easier to give up "relationships" than all rest of my bad habits...
Bitter? The fireworks work better and so do my bikes, heh. B)

#15 burningbush

burningbush

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:41 PM

Lifes crazy!
you either put up w/ hours of sh#t to get 30 minutes of pleasure "or atleast in my case"
Or you get everything you want and die by age 20

On the legal effects of spousal disputes Men are screw'd if the woman says a
peep about being OR feeling unsafe even if its bs!
I had a friend loose all his hunting/firearms/and firework privlidges over a false claim even though he got a lawyer and spent $ 10,000 and many a day in court
He was with her 4 years before getting to know her DEVIL BITCH side as he put it.
She attacked him pushed him into a closet scratched his eye and face and scratched her own forehead when the shelf fell on them. he called the cops but when they got their he went to jail from her scratch as she said it was from him.

WE NEED TO BE EXTRA RESPONSIBLE IN OUR ARTS AS THE RULES CHANGE OR CAN CHANGE ON A DIME AND THE PICTURE THATS LEFT FOR OTHERS TO SEE IS NOT WHAT SHOULD BE SEEN. In this case he would have faced more problems if he had not had proof of intention
regarding supplies`

THINK ABOUT THAT
P.
[COLOR=purple][SIZE=1][FONT=Impact][B]
I love it! I can buy a pack of smokes which will hurt me for sure! Yet theres a 1000 laws in place to protect me from myself . I guess its ok to harm your self if its slow and will help the economy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users