19 replies to this topic

#1 Caramanos2000

Caramanos2000

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:31 PM

Can I just put some estes engines from walmart, putem on a stick with a small payload and launch them?

Edited by Caramanos2000, 02 April 2007 - 03:31 PM.

#2 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

If you really want, why did you post this question? Anyway whats wrong with making bp motors?

#3 Caramanos2000

Caramanos2000

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

I will try making some of those five cent sugar rocket things. I just glued the nails to the board with epoxy. Bought some cat liter. Will this http://pyrocreations...inc/sdetail/748 work as an engine casing? I will probably use the sugar rocket formula and maybe try Bp.

#4 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:47 PM

I will try making some of those five cent sugar rocket things. I just glued the nails to the board with epoxy. Bought some cat liter. Will this http://pyrocreations...inc/sdetail/748 work as an engine casing? I will probably use the sugar rocket formula and maybe try Bp.

Well if your planning on making larger rockets, youll need to scale up the whole thing, not just the case size.

The size on the 5p rocket site is 1/4"x2", but your showing us 3/4" tubes:
So the core dimension goes from 1+1/2" to 4.5", the length of the tube is only 3+1/2" so theyre a bit short. Though I have no doubt it is possible to get a sugar rocket that short flying, your probably better getting these smaller ones perfected then just scale up, then you can play around with core dimensions and see what you can get away with.

I used to make a lot of these before I got my ball mill, then since I moved onto BP rockets I've never looked back.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#5 Caramanos2000

Caramanos2000

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:03 AM

I have thicker nails and such. Will ramming kitty litter work for nozzles? Do I need to add wax or bake or summin as I have read? Whats the best way to grind the cat litter? And will this work for Bp, and the sugar rocket formula?

I tried them with unground rammed litter, and the Nickle rocket formula. Static tests. With the tubes above. They seem to have loads of thrust and sound horifying for about 1 to 2 seconds. Also, there is about a 3/4" gap on the top of the tube big enough for payloads. Will slap one on a stick a try it out.

Edited by Caramanos2000, 04 April 2007 - 04:47 PM.

#6 Caramanos2000

Caramanos2000

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:56 PM

http://s104.photobuc...tStatictest.flv

#7 Caramanos2000

Caramanos2000

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:12 PM

I fired one without a stick upwars inside a metal tube. It took a few seconds for what I assume was to light the entire core but it took longer than expected, then it shot out and spun in the air for a while. They do lift though.

#8 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:18 PM

Please be careful, using a metal tube to fire home made pyrotechnic devices is a bad idea. If it were to blow up it could cause shrapnel and injure someone badly! This is a far from safe practice, im not supprised it spun around everywhere with no stick. This is also dangerous as it could land anywhere! Be careful.

#9 Caramanos2000

Caramanos2000

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:20 PM

Good point on the metal tube there. I tried using Bp without milling but it was too fast. Resulted in the biggest Bp explosion Ive seen.

#10 Caramanos2000

Caramanos2000

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:42 AM

Has anyone bought from http://www.freewebs....epyro/index.htm . Want to order the 15mm kit, were else can i get it from?

#11 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

I asked him for shipping costs to GErmany (donĀ“t know where you live!) and what can I say. EXPENSIVE.

He says

Shipping cost is caculated by this way. 22usd for first 500g+6.5usd/500g+6.5usd/500g

So a 20mm star pump is 40USD only shipping :) Weights 1.75KG he says.

Edited by paul, 06 April 2007 - 05:45 PM.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#12 Caramanos2000

Caramanos2000

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:55 PM

Its too much, I aint paying $47 for a metal rod on a base and a hollow metal rod. The best cases I can make are 15mm or something like .6 inches. For the sugar or BP rocket formulas, how long should they be. How long should the spindle be and what diameter should the spindle have?

#13 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:32 PM

hi not done any pyro for a while because of the bleedin rain! anyway seeing this section is called "estes" how does mister estes get constant results with his motors,ive seen a estes comp that contains dextrin is he pressing his motors slighty damp then drying them,like a super hard bp puck, would this stop the core from cracking,he's knocking these things out buy the bucket load :angry:

#14 aquarius

aquarius

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:08 AM

The Estes Rocket Motors are all endburners, I believe the formula is 75:12,5:12,5 and a percent of dextrin.
That makes me think they are pressed slightly wet, due to the dextrin. They also use a HUGE press for this, compacting the grain rock hard.
If you a fast use powder like that, with little charcoal, you get almost no tail and pressed in a X ton press, with a tiny nozzle it works!

But I guess it took a few tries before it did... :rolleyes:

#15 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:04 AM

Does anyway know exacty how big the nozzle to tube ID ratio is for the estes rockets just wondering? With my end burners i found that a 4mm nozzle on a 19mm (3/4 inch ID) tube with straight black powder give a decent thrust. Well it settled at about 500g thrust as i said before dont know how good this is for an end burner but was told is wasnt that good. see this link for vid of the test i done

What about the thrust of these end burning estes rockets anyone know what it is??

Edited by Pyromaster2003, 02 July 2007 - 11:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users