• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 starsandbangs

starsandbangs

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

I'm looking for cat 4 training within the next couple of months in england, does anyone know where i can go to get trained?

#2 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

Starsandbangs,

SP Fireworks are offering training in Stafford on the 22nd of April I believe, if you look on their website (www.spfireworks.co.uk) it tells you all the info there. It's quite cheap compared to places like fantastic fireworks too, I was trained by them.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#3 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:12 PM

If you train with Fantastic you will get the registered B.P.A Licence and certificate though, thats probably why its a bit more expensive with them.

#4 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

Pardon my ignorance of this topic but what are the benefits of cat 4 training? Is the certificate of benefit that you can then buy class 4? or is this as a start point in a career? or just fun?

#5 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:58 PM

Having a certificate makes no differance in the industry now, a display company is more likely to employee someone who is trained without BPA certificate but has experience than someone who has a certificate but no experience.

The benefits are that you can work on displays using Cat 4 and, when you get the appropriate storage licence and insurance, you can purchase and store Cat 4. It allows you to start a career in firework displays if you so wish to take that path.

#6 mooster

mooster

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:37 AM

Hi Richard / Dave and our other trainers,

Well I’ve just comeback from our day long course after a weekend of overworking with 4 hours sleep managed to get there on time (shock),

Just a quick review for anyone else wanting to go on this course,

Very down to earth friendly interaction from experienced pyrotechnicians

Lots of hints and tips where picked up from those with experience of the real world problems of delivering displays.

A solid emphasis on safety using practical demonstrations always in a friendly and supportive way (helpful when your not on best of form)

Practical reinforcement always a very effective way of getting first hand help and advice from more experienced firers.

Extremely good value compared with other offerings.

All theoretical work was then carried out in a fun practical way then followed with a sensitive review and feedback where possible.

Overall:

Fun, great value, and will help me to be safer and follow a passion further.

Thanks a lot to all the Team that trained us it was delivered by folks that where as passionate as the rest of us there.

Pez

#7 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

Thank you for your kind words Pez,

It was great meeting you (hopefully will do again at a future UKPS meeting maybe?)

The day was a learning experience for ourselves too as it was only the second course we have run. Everyone has passed (well done guys, your certificates will be in the post shortly) and we greatly enjoyed your company.

Cheers guys,
Dave

#8 Pyrogirl

Pyrogirl

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:33 PM

Hi I'm proud to say I'm a 40 year old female who began my training in Pyro 2 years ago I have trained with a company called Highlight Pyrotechnics based in Runcorn Cheshire, I believe the next training course is not till September, you just missed one in April. www.highlightpyro.com
From my training and experience gained I would highly recommend this company.
Pyrogirl :)

#9 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

Hi I'm proud to say I'm a 40 year old female who began my training in Pyro 2 years ago I have trained with a company called Highlight Pyrotechnics based in Runcorn Cheshire, I believe the next training course is not till September, you just missed one in April. www.highlightpyro.com

Hi Pyrogirl

Yes I know Steve very well:) tell him I said hello.

#10 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:39 AM

Ah you're from my home town Runcorn. I'm 41 and have always been into pyro. We may have even gone to the same school! I'm not in Runcorn now but not far away at all.

I've never been down to highlight, but think I might just go in for a quick nosey in the next week. I didn't know they had a retail shop as well.

I didn't even know they did training courses but now I do I'll be looking into it. :)

#11 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

There is training on this weekend! Looks a bit pricey though. Not sure what you get for your money here.

Training

#12 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

Call me a sceptical person, but that looks like a nice way to make a quick buck out of people who are trying to get trained up and working on shows! There are a number of companies who provide training for much less, and indeed in some cases (quite rightly) at no cost at all.

#13 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

Call me a sceptical person, but that looks like a nice way to make a quick buck out of people who are trying to get trained up and working on shows! There are a number of companies who provide training for much less, and indeed in some cases (quite rightly) at no cost at all.

Any thoughts on www.highlightpyro.com? Seems very reasonable and it's on my doorstep.

#14 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:28 PM

Yes, seems better, and I see you are refunded when you start doing shows with them. The correct attititude in my opinion!

#15 Pyrogirl

Pyrogirl

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:26 PM

Any thoughts on www.highlightpyro.com? Seems very reasonable and it's on my doorstep.

You could train with them and still have enough money left over for a small garden display for what other company's are charging lol; plus you won't be too much out of pocket if you decide it's not for you.
Pyrogirl :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users