16 replies to this topic

#1 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

Well the Malta Firework Festival is over this weekend, doubt very much you any of us shall be going. I wsh I could as have been invited by many of my friends in Malta. This is a very special show for them as they are competing in the Festival!! I have seen pictures of their fireworks they plan to use and they look very special indeed.

This is the programe,

Saturday 28th April

First pyro-musical competitive display: ‘Austrian Power’ by the Design Fireworks International of Austria

Second pyro-musical competitive display: ‘Flowers of fire’ by the Mount Carmel Fireworks Factory, Zurrieq, Malta

Sunday 29th April

Third pyro-musical competitive display: ‘Flames on the Grand Harbour’ by the St. Joseph Fireworks Factory, Ghaxaq, Malta (My very special friends!!)

Fourth pyro-musical competitive display: ‘The Chu-Han Contention’ by the Yung-Feng Firecrackers & Fireworks Co.,Ltd. of China.

Monday 30th April

A display of traditional Italian fireworks: ‘Italian Passion’ by the Orzella Fireworks Company of Italy. (Lets see if they can set fire to the barges again :lol: )

Audio visual show including a pyro-musical display: ‘Fire of Celebration” by the Malta International Fireworks Festival 2006 Winner – the St. Mary Fireworks Factory, Mqabba Malta (Prepare to be amazed at their stuff)

St Josephs will be using the firing system FireOne to shoot the show and ill get plenty of pictures of the rigging I should think. I have wished them luck and am going to phone Sam during Sunday to see how its going :D

The Event might be on live TV, not confirmed as yet but if its on telly it will be here streamed live.

WWW.SMASHMALTA.COM

Info on the festival is here www.maltafireworksfestival.com

I will be sending an SMS in St Josephs favour on Sunday, hope I can see the show on live streaming.

Viva St Josephs!

#2 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:57 PM

Sounds like that will be an awesome show!
Wish i could get there.

How about something like a UKPS trip next year?

#3 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:05 PM

Would be good yeah, I can get access to the factory for members I should think. Im going in June to the Feast so will ask the factory boss. Would be nice, its a great time. Especially when those crazy chlorate bottom shots go off!!! Mental

#4 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

Have they done it earlier this year?? - I'd made a mental note for the end of May and was hoping to do a last minute hit if work allowed :(

Edited by pyrotrev, 27 April 2007 - 05:35 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#5 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:50 PM

Oh mate! Its always been in April, the Feast is in June 1st-5th and that will be top dogg too! Im going in June if ya fancy it. Will get to wonder the firing site too, and get close to some 10" 70kg! :D

#6 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

Have they done it earlier this year?? - I'd made a mental note for the end of May and was hoping to do a last minute hit if work allowed :(

Indeed... drat ... I'd hoped to go, work providing :( . UKPS Forum you need to remind us of these things!!! grrr...

Edited by BrightStar, 28 April 2007 - 10:15 AM.

#7 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:49 PM

Oh mate! Its always been in April, the Feast is in June 1st-5th and that will be top dogg too! Im going in June if ya fancy it. Will get to wonder the firing site too, and get close to some 10" 70kg! :D

Might just do that - Air Malta is now flying from Liverpooool at v.reasonable prices
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#8 joefal66

joefal66

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:28 AM

Hi. I'm new here. I'm from Malta.

I have seen this topic by coincidence and must give my best wishes to the St.Joseph Fireworks Factory of Ghaxaq www.sanguzeppghaxaq.com who are my friends and must not forget the best wishes also to Carmelite Fireworks Factory of Zurrieq www.carmelitesocietyzurrieq.com who is also taking part and are also my friends.

I must also give credit to my other friend. The Saint Andrew's Fireworks Factory of Luqa who have won the 1st Malta Ground Fireworks Festival with quite a show. This festival was of very high quality and was contested by Malta's foremost fireworks factories like those of Mqabba, Qrendi, Zurrieq, Zebbug and others. So their win is even more of an accomplishment. They have a website full of fireworks videos and photos and new ones are put online every year. www.unionbandmalta.org you should enjoy this. I don't know if you knew about the festival. But there has never been so much ground fireworks of such calliber in one place.

Tonight starts the other fireworks festival, that at the grand harbour. In my opinion this festival started growing rapidly in its first 2/3 years but has started downgrading since. Less and less fireworks factories are taking part. This year being the lowest. None the less the factories that are taking part are promising to offer something to watch out for.

St.Joseph of Ghaxaq are growing fast - good luck to them.
Carmelite Zurrieq are one of Malta's Giants (but they have a weapon against them, that this is their first pyro-musical ever). Will see how they do.
Austria I dont know about them - will wait and see.
China - these guys say that they produce Japanese type fireworks with Japanese techniques so they will be quite something for ball shells and effects. Will wait and see.

I will not say directly who I think will win so as to not offend anyone. But im guessing it will either be one of the Maltese or the Chinese. But its too early at this stage. Will see.

But I wish all the best to both my Maltese friends taking part and looking forward to enjoy also Austria's and China's participation.

All the best. Joe.

Edited by joefal66, 28 April 2007 - 10:32 AM.

#9 treefingers

treefingers

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:05 PM

In a few weeks i'm off to Naples to see my brother and then going south to travel in North Africa, the Mediterranean and the Middle East for a few months. Anyway as it's on the route i've been thinking of going via Malta and was wondering if there would be anything pyro related to see? I'd probably be there around mid May I expect.
There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.

#10 pymp

pymp

Trying to move into SFX..

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:17 PM

Unfortunately, smashmalta appears to be currently streaming an utterly bizarre taxidermy/bird watching competition instead. It seems to be accompanied by a live debate of some sort, full of very serious looking people answering phone calls.

Edited by pymp, 28 April 2007 - 08:18 PM.

"There are many old pyros
There are many bold pyros
But there are not very many
Old, Bold Pyros"
- author unknown

#11 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:11 AM

Hi Joefal66, nice to see another Maltese on here.

I heard the First Maltese team had a problem with their Fireone setup so sadly I dont believe the show went too well, big shame when that happens. I see the video of their show and they do make some lovely large ball shells! And the very large shell of shells at the end looks just insanely massive, well done to them!!

I spoke to Sam yesterday after the show, it all fired ok and now just waiting to see the video! They have perfected the dark flash beraq now too so well done to them!! Now just to wait for who will win!

Mount Carmel Fireworks Factory - Zurrieq

Well done to St Andrews for the ground fireworks, those too are stunning!

#12 joefal66

joefal66

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

http://www.freewebs.com/piroteknika/ St.Joseph of Ghaxaq's Festival Show.

http://www.talkarmnuzurrieq.tk/ Mount Carmel of Zurrieq Show. Hey Karl, the link that you have in your post is not the video of the Festival Show but one of their feasts.

Congratulations to both of them. Zurrieq won 6 out of 7 categories and overallwinners and ghaxaq won the sincronization award. Congratulations to both of them.

I expected this result to be honest. Zurrieq has always had great fireworks and Ghaxaq are growing fast. the present and future looks good for both.

Thanks again.

#13 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:03 PM

Both shows were amazing, but I believe Mount Carmel had a 20min break in the show due to a problem with the Fireone unit. I find it strange how they can still win, but hey the results are as they are.

This is the vid of St Josephs show

They have got the hang of dark flash beraq now, they work a treat!

Why not give your honest opinion on the shows and post here :D

#14 joefal66

joefal66

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

It was not their fault. Its the fireone guy. He has the contract from the organizers! Its not Zurrieq's fault that he messed up.

Besides they did not have any real competition from the other 3, so even if it stoped twice, they would still have won.

Thrust me, live is much better than those videos. and Zurrieq had a lot of smoke that obsecured the view due to the wind direction.

Dark flash beraq? do you mean the invisable beraq? Santa Marija Mqabba invented those. And Luqa St.Andrew made them imediately after. Some 10 years ago.

Both zurrieq and ghaxaq are my friends and i do not wish to put anybodies moral down.

All I can tell you is that ghaxaq are growing and i'm happy for them. The syncronization was very very good!

Edited by joefal66, 01 May 2007 - 06:14 PM.

#15 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

Oh dear, well that clears that up! Nice shows though, the gas salutes sounded good too!! :o

Having a bit of burning paper is no ones fault, well anyway it does not matter the judges are final.

Yeah the dark flash, I too have been working on them. The formula has been around for a long time I believe and it seems to work very well.

Portfire: Not sure what part of the vid, I believe they wanted it to be like that. I could be wrong though.

I wish I had gone but would mean staying for an extra 3 weeks, not that I would mind that! I went last year and its so much petter being there, those bottom shots are just insane.

Gas tank salutes are very dangerous, Its is exactly what it says. Scary, dont try at home!!!!

Edited by karlfoxman, 01 May 2007 - 06:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users