• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mossy

Mossy

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:25 AM

Apolgies if this is in the wrong section (new user), but a forthcoming school production wants to end with a small indoor pyrotechnic effect

A Gerb has been suggested, surely there must be some health and safety considerations to using one of these??

Also what exactly would be required, is it self contained, do we need to but seperate components etc.

ANY advice or help would be much appreciated, I don't want to be the killjoy here but if it's not safe I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Thanks in advance

Mossy

#2 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

hmm a few ground fountains (gerbs), roman candle's and a few colored smoke grenades should do it nicely.

Make sure it is firmly planted in the ground so it cant fall over and shoot great flaming balls of fire at the spectators, keep people 10m away, small fence, dont use anything metal (metal tubes ect). As long as your not doing a ariel display it is generally safe.

#3 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:30 AM

Regarding marble´s comment: I would NOT advice you to use roman candles or coloured smoke greandes inside!

Mossy: There are special gerbs and items for indoor-use. They most often are made of a smokeless mix containing metal powders which don´t give of that thick white smoke. Often they´re NC- based.
So for indoor use (especially if its inside a state-building like a school!) I would not even try to make something but instead use commercially made products!

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#4 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:45 AM

Regarding marble´s comment: I would NOT advice you to use roman candles or coloured smoke greandes inside!

woops missed the inside part, defiantly do not do what i said unless you want a fire and panic :blush:

For a indoor presentation i would get a professional to have a look, compared to outdoor there are way more things that can go wrong.

#5 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:46 AM

A Gerb has been suggested, surely there must be some health and safety considerations to using one of these??

The first thing you need is a budget!

You can hire a stage pyro controller and cables for £10 a week, and pods for the effects from £5. A box of 12 small gerbes will come to about £30 - they are not usually able to split the boxes, but there are individual confetti and flame effects available for £15 each or so. The stage hire company will also provide training.

Once set up correctly, these effects can be used remarkably safely and produce very little smoke. You simply have to observe the horizontal and vertical safety distances (1.5m, 5m approx). As long as you have a clear line of sight to the effect before pressing the button, there is little to go wrong.

On the stage though, you will have to find out whether you are allowed ANY source of ignition in your venue. IMHO, firing a gerbe is safer than using real candles or torches, but the risks of having a flame on stage are just the same. If for example, part of the kids' cardboard set was to fall on the hot effect... well, you get the picture... there's a reason why you see the sturdy 'fire curtains' in the interval in a commercial theatre... For college productions, I always had someone standing by with fire extinguishers in the wings, but thankfully never needed them...

Edited by BrightStar, 02 May 2007 - 10:49 AM.

#6 Mossy

Mossy

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:02 AM

Marble, Paul, Brightstar

Many many thanks for your replies and advice, thanks for taking the time to help out here.

Mossy

#7 MFX

MFX

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

Apolgies if this is in the wrong section (new user), but a forthcoming school production wants to end with a small indoor pyrotechnic effect

Also what exactly would be required, is it self contained, do we need to but seperate components etc.

Sorry for the late reply, don't know if the show has happened yet but if so, did it go well? Re. Gerbes, as long as you use Stage gerbes and check with the manufacturer about safety distances and you keep anything flammable (and any people) outside that safety distance there shouldn't be a problem (Not that there should be anything flammable around! Anything on stage should be fire proofed, regardless of pyro) A safer alternative is "Ice fountains" they are much cooler burning and can be used fairly close to people. Stage pyro is generally very safe if you follow the manufacturers safety data, I was involved with the pyro for a stage production of the book "The firework makers daughter" and we had to provide a firework display in miniature. We had six gerbes,six stage mines,eight stage comets,three airbursts and even a mini saxon wheel and the show ran for several months on tour without a single incident. BTW where are you based? UK or abroad?
If it looks like it's coming towards you, it probably is!

#8 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:42 PM

Indoor pyro and outdoor fireworks are two separate disciplines, with lots of similarities. The assn or Stage Pyrotecnicians will train you in the UK and familiarise you with UK regs and custom and practise. stage-pyro.org.uk

All training courses help to confirm your bona fides as a fire artist.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users