• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HerbertMunch

HerbertMunch

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:45 AM

Ive been trying to make thin black match recently, but I have been most unsuccessful!
I HAVE been successful in making thick match though, from ultra porous thick cotton.

Is it possible to make thin black match with just one strand of string (about the size of 15 strands of cotton woven together).

I have tried soaking in runny "soup" of bp, and then finished off using a thick slurry.
I have also tried soaking the string in KNO3, and then running through a black powder slurry.

When the black match dried after using soak in kno3, and coat in slurry method, the only difference is that, when i burn it, you can visibly see molten globules of kno3 bubbling around on the surface. However it doesnt seem to help it burn reliably.

Every time I have tried it, the bastard match just fizzles out after burning for about 3mm.

The only thing i can think that im doing wrong, is that i didnt screen the BP im using to make the slurry. I.e Im using it, as it comes from the ball mill.

I havent tried screening bp for use making match yet, becuase i cant be arsed, if its not going to make any difference.

Does anyone have any tips for making reliable black match?

Many thanks.

Edited by HerbertMunch, 24 May 2007 - 08:48 AM.

#2 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

Why not just use your thicker match? Making very thin match is more prone to cracking/bp falling off and failure..

#3 HerbertMunch

HerbertMunch

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:55 AM

Why not just use your thicker match? Making very thin match is more prone to cracking/bp falling off and failure..

I need it to burn through a small hole.
Its not because bp has cracked and fallen off, it simply doesnt work even to begin with, just after its been dried.

Edited by HerbertMunch, 24 May 2007 - 08:56 AM.

#4 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:58 AM

I have made really nice blackmatch using thin linnen twine, the blackpowder has to be finely ball milled to make it nice and fast then I add 6% Gum arabic. I use gum arabic because it seems to dry stronger, I dont get bad blackmatch using this method. Hope this helps.

#5 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:00 AM

Do you rub the bp slurry into the string or coat it then pull through a small hole coz it should work if your pulling it through a small hole and getting a good coating..unless your bp isnt very good?

#6 HerbertMunch

HerbertMunch

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:09 AM

I have made really nice blackmatch using thin linnen twine, the blackpowder has to be finely ball milled to make it nice and fast then I add 6% Gum arabic. I use gum arabic because it seems to dry stronger, I dont get bad blackmatch using this method. Hope this helps.

Do you mean finely milled, then screened?

Do you rub the bp slurry into the string or coat it then pull through a small hole coz it should work if your pulling it through a small hole and getting a good coating..unless your bp isnt very good?

At the moment, i just rub it in. Is this where im going wrong?

many thanks

#7 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:14 AM

Could be i would try making a thick slurry then pulling the coated string through a hole slightly larger than the diam of the string. If you screened the bp and gum arabic it would mix it all more uniform so would be a good idea...

Edited by Pyromaster2003, 24 May 2007 - 09:14 AM.

#8 HerbertMunch

HerbertMunch

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:28 AM

Ok, nice one. Will give it a try.
Thanks mate.

#9 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:47 AM

I was having the same problem, I decided to make a really thick mixture but still wet enough to be applied, i then mushed up the string in the slurry for a few minutes as where before i would only move it around till it was coated. Waited 48 hours and it burns hot and is reliable.

I didn't use a hole in anything but instead i used my fingers to get the desired diameter and shape, also when i cut it i can see that the whole string in black and not just the outside

Edited by marble, 24 May 2007 - 09:49 AM.

#10 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:21 AM

I would do it the way pyromaster2003 suggests. I used to run it through my fingers but it can wipe to much BP off in areas and make a dangerously unreliable fuse that can go out then start up again later!

#11 HerbertMunch

HerbertMunch

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:51 AM

I was having the same problem, I decided to make a really thick mixture but still wet enough to be applied, i then mushed up the string in the slurry for a few minutes as where before i would only move it around till it was coated. Waited 48 hours and it burns hot and is reliable.

I didn't use a hole in anything but instead i used my fingers to get the desired diameter and shape, also when i cut it i can see that the whole string in black and not just the outside

I have tried mashing in up for a while, but it never seems to soak completely into the core of the string. when i cut it, it always has a white center.

I would do it the way pyromaster2003 suggests. I used to run it through my fingers but it can wipe to much BP off in areas and make a dangerously unreliable fuse that can go out then start up again later!

Will do.

thanks

#12 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:39 AM

Try starting with a soft cotton or linen twine - my mum surprised me by suggesting what she called her 'dish cloth making crochet cotton'. It's soft, absorbent and strong and presumably available anywhere.

To make really good blackmatch, it helps to first 'wash' it a thin black powder soup, then coat it in a thick black powder putty. I now use good quality milled willow meal for both steps. Details in my previous post here:

Weingart black match

The latest batch not only burns through small holes, but will also burn through half an inch of solid cast resin...

Edited by BrightStar, 24 May 2007 - 12:28 PM.

#13 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

My opinion is that your slurry is too thin. Using a slurry of two parts meal to one part water works fine.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#14 HerbertMunch

HerbertMunch

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:29 PM

ok thanks

#15 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:09 PM

...and if all else fails, buy some visco! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users