37 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:03 PM

Just thinking, would anyone be interested in a meet up, a jacobs join kind of thing where we all bring some pyro and fire it?

I have a lot of little stuff, decent but not good enough for a crowd.

Edited by David, 06 November 2007 - 06:49 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#2 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:54 PM

Just to echo what I said on the other thread- please do share your views. :)

If you are pro, does this sound attractive? I do this as a hobby, so my outlook will of course be a little different!

What I mean is- I am happy to buy and set off fireworks, but perhaps if you are a pro you feel differently IE because its your business.

So all are welcome, but my gut feeling is that this sort of thing will most appeal to hobbiests like me who don't have many opportunities to let off fireworks.

Edited by David, 09 November 2007 - 11:55 PM.

#3 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:09 AM

i think its a great idea i posted saying lets have a regular midlands meet after tipton its ruddy cold weather at moment but i can offer 2 possibilities a long narrow field approx 2 acres in leicestershire perhaps pub meal after as its a bit cold for a barbecue could put on barbie in summer suggest a bonfire to keep warm i can cheat and serve jacket tatties etc from kitchen as alternative to pub or if you want a bigger event weve got a hol cottage on norfolk coast 3 bedroom + floor space for weekend meet up local coast guard is cool if no red flares /stars would be happy to host or attend any other event
protodezine@gmail.com

#4 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:08 PM

Either we could repeat the same next year, or we could put on a short show for someone like a Hospice out of season.

We could try to get a cat4 trainer involved and do a cat4/bpa 1 course at the same time.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#5 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:31 PM

Either we could repeat the same next year, or we could put on a short show for someone like a Hospice out of season.

We could try to get a cat4 trainer involved and do a cat4/bpa 1 course at the same time.

I`m glad you mentioned the Hospice idea, in the Kitchen we raised just over 32 quid for Cancer Research UK :)
not bad for such short notice and 1`st event!
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#6 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:04 PM

More that we could go to a (enter suitable institution here) and do a small show. for their entertainment as well as our own.

If I am to spend a pound a second on fireworks, I'd like LOTS of people to enjoy them!

#7 MFX

MFX

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:29 PM

If you are pro, does this sound attractive? I do this as a hobby, so my outlook will of course be a little different!

I think most Pro's would welcome any chance of setting stuff off, particularly if it's just for fun! But as pointed out would have to be outside the main festival dates:-

Nov 5th
Diwali (Nov 9th this year, October 30th next year)
New years eve
Chinese new year (Feb 18th this year, Feb 7th Next year)

It's then generally quiet till the Summer concerts etc. season.
If it looks like it's coming towards you, it probably is!

#8 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

Also it is good manners to be done by about 8.30, especially on a school night. As such unless the location is remote (or the pyro is quiet,) this pretty much rules out May, June, July .

#9 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:23 AM

Just a personal thing, but the ideal time for me would be late August. The summer is waning, but still it is usually warm enough- a nice "mood" for a fireworks event. Also by late August most of the good fireworks shops have their stock in for the upcoming November season, so its a great opportunity to try out the new stuff!

Arthur Brown If I am to spend a pound a second on fireworks, I'd like LOTS of people to enjoy them! "

I agree totally- a happy audience always makes it worthwhile.

That said, I am also happy to fire stuff just for my own pleasure- specifically smaller stuff.

#10 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:25 PM

If there is a group of members of the forum who would travel to East London Then I will approach the local children's Hospice to offer them a show I suspect that feb or march would be best, and it would definitely have to be a saturday night for local air traffic reasons.

#11 MFX

MFX

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

East London's good for me, so providing the dates are good I'd be up for it. As it's for a good cause I MAY even be able to get some stuff donated. Hm, how about getting the kids involved in a simple way? Design and make a simple fire drawing for example, to be used as part of the display? The only way this could fall flat is if the Hospice starts getting major insurance, risk assesment etc. concerns (unfortunatly highly likely these days). I have insurance that would cover me but not anyone else. Of course the show could be a private one on non hospice land that just happens to be viewable from the hospice ;)

Martin.
If it looks like it's coming towards you, it probably is!

#12 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:22 PM

The only way this could fall flat is if the Hospice starts getting major insurance, risk assesment etc. concerns (unfortunatly highly likely these days).

Martin.

To be honest, thats my thoughts too. All the firework displays I have done so far have been for friends/family etc on private land - to be honest my original suggeston has "mushroomed," some would say evoleved, somewhat!

I was orignally thinking that we just have a bit of a get-together, and fire off some pyro for the benefit of each other, so to speak.

For sure, I am happy to fire to a crowd too- but that does get a little more complex with issues such as insurance.

#13 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

The Hospice I was thinking of has only very seriously ill children. Participation would be out of the question. Most of the kids are in specially shaped wheelchairs and have full time care. As childrens hospice care is so limited the ones that see a march show will likely not see a november show for the pine box.

#14 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:11 PM

Certainly if its for a good cause we could get the support of some fireworks shops- I'm sure that at the very least they would offer a good discount.

I'm happy to support a display for a hospise, although I am personally limited to Category 3 stuff- although some of that is really, really cool.

#15 Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:28 PM

Even if you only use Cat 3, you would still need to be insured for the event if doing it for the hospice.
Unless you could get a professional company involved to put on the display for you, it would be better to keep it a private affair.

Getting a private venue for playing in is the tricky part, get that sorted and there will be no shortage of pyro-nuts willing to come bearing gifts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users