#1 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

I came across this on another site and thought of Bonny:

"The nine chemicals to be controlled under the new regulations currently have a wide range of legitimate uses, such as ammonium nitrate, which is commonly used in agriculture as fertilizer. The chemicals are: ammonium nitrate; nitric acid; nitromethane; hydrogen peroxide; potassium nitrate; sodium nitrate; potassium chlorate; sodium chlorate; and potassium perchlorate."

taken from: http://www.marketwir...se.do?id=834666
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:17 PM

If you look, the UK secured ammonium nitrate some years ago, chlorate is only retail in 2% solution or mixed with fire retardant. Nitric and sulphuric acids dropped out of retail some years ago. Perc has only one major use and that is in flash and pyro. KNO3 is still available from "trade" places but not retail shops. Trade chemical suppliers will certainly make a value judgement as to the likelyhood of a sales enquiry being for peaceable purposes. I was grilled years ago and I only wanted some universal indicator solution!

Looking on USA forums I am surprised by some of the things they have available retail!

Wal-Mart sell small arms, ammunition and shooting powder - That's the equivalent of ASDA selling guns, ammunition and BP!

They use conc H2SO4 as drain cleaner retail. KNO3 is their stump remover. HNO3 is in the USA used as a cleaner in dairies, and traded in conc state!

However in Texas it requires a Licence to own laboratory glassware and/or heaters so filter coffee machines -glass jug and hotplate- are illegal. Supposedly it's an attempt to discourage the production of narcotics! Then another US forum has instructions how to make Still s for the bulk production of drinking spirits! --It seems to be OK to make moonshine but not powdered narcs over there!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:31 PM

I came across this on another site and thought of Bonny:

"The nine chemicals to be controlled under the new regulations currently have a wide range of legitimate uses, such as ammonium nitrate, which is commonly used in agriculture as fertilizer. The chemicals are: ammonium nitrate; nitric acid; nitromethane; hydrogen peroxide; potassium nitrate; sodium nitrate; potassium chlorate; sodium chlorate; and potassium perchlorate."

taken from: http://www.marketwir...se.do?id=834666

I laugh at this because if they are (And that's what it looks like) trying more to hamper amature pyrotechnics (saying it's againts terrorism with those specific chemicals in mind is a BS statement) - or either way - people are just going to make a lot of those oxidizers themselves.

Silly "authorities" don't have the authority to know what on earth they're even dealing with, and their "top expert scientists" spared them a lot of details they plainly should've known.

Then again, we don't want to see plastic containers, all possisble anode an cathode materials, power supplies and alligator clips banned, do we?...

On the other hand if you don't make your own oxidizers, you're basically going to be screwed by these laws which seem to specifically target chemicals used frequently by pyrotechnicians (mysterious..)

Canada's been on that anti do it yourself group for a very long time. It is not illegal to make a small amount of composition but you simply can't make your own fireworks, no matter what kind, period. A lot of people still do, and I don't think the government cares about them that much, but this is obviously a move on their part that had more than just a "anti terrorism" motive.

Edited by MDH, 21 March 2008 - 09:47 PM.

#4 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:42 AM

Looks like another knee jerk action, most of the items on that list can be made with a little effort and the rest are going to be impossible to control (who doesn't have a bottle of peroxide in the medicine cabinet?

#5 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

I remember seeing that list awhile ago. Fortunately I have been able to find most everything I need, or a way to make it, sometimes a PITA though. There are still quite a few legit uses so I don't think the controlling will get out of hand, especially small amounts. I could see some cause for concern with people that aren't farmers buying NH4NO3 by the ton.
The day may come however when I have to make my KNO3 using manure and piss...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users