• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#1 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

There is a cat4 course I want to do. It's everything from acquiring, storing, firing to Planning, risk assessing, and getting permissions (planning caa etc) It goes far beyond the BPA firer 1 & 2, as it's meant for business proprietors rather than engaged firers. Quite specifically it is designed to satisfy the insurers that you are competent to have your own policy and sell and fire your own shows.

Does anyone want to share this course with me, and split the very reasonable costs. Location to suit, can be a saturday or sunday. For me Nottingham and south is preferable.

OVER 18 ONLY MSER prohibits you being in charge of pyro under that age. So legally you cannot have apyro business under 18.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#2 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:24 AM

Hi Arthur - Sounds interesting.

What is reasonable cost- lol? I always seem to be very poor! Would it actually get you BPA 1 & 2, or does it just cover that ground?
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#3 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:31 AM

What is reasonable cost- lol? I always seem to be very poor! Would it actually get you BPA 1 & 2, or does it just cover that ground?

Same here, I would be interested, as said- cost?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#4 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:07 PM

The course does NOT get you BPA 1 & 2 But it does the syllabus for that and lots more. BPA covers you for being an employed firer and is insufficient for being a self employed fireworks show proprietor. This course takes you that far. Discusses legislation and all the bits before and after firing the show.

The course costs a sliding fee according to numbers. We divide the cost up between attenders. Best number round 6 max number 10.

Neither Roy Musk or Torribles regard BPA 1 & 2 as sufficient for the proprietor of a show company.

Added; less than £300 per person according to numbers

Edited by Arthur Brown, 10 April 2008 - 08:38 PM.

#5 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:19 PM

OK I've just found a BPA 1 course for £69, plus £39 to take the exam so that is £110 to get to level 1 --AND you have to get three pro fire show assists between the course and the exam.

Clipped form the BPA site "Level 1 for firework operators and level 2 for senior display operators"

So level 1 is people who assist at a show, Level 2 is for people who could be sent to do a show for a company that has already done site visits and planned a show to suit.

The course I am offering takes you past this to the point of being a competent person to own a company, to sell displays, to plan displays, to programme displays, and to prepare them for firing.

Pass this course and you are insurable in your own right. Pass the BPA 1 & 2 and you are usable by a company but not insurable in your own right.

#6 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:56 AM

OK I've just found a BPA 1 course for £69, plus £39 to take the exam so that is £110 to get to level 1 --AND you have to get three pro fire show assists between the course and the exam.

Clipped form the BPA site "Level 1 for firework operators and level 2 for senior display operators"

So level 1 is people who assist at a show, Level 2 is for people who could be sent to do a show for a company that has already done site visits and planned a show to suit.

The course I am offering takes you past this to the point of being a competent person to own a company, to sell displays, to plan displays, to programme displays, and to prepare them for firing.

Pass this course and you are insurable in your own right. Pass the BPA 1 & 2 and you are usable by a company but not insurable in your own right.

Exactly..COME ON guys. This is a fantastic opportunity!!!!

We need to get the numbers up, at least 6 committed people, that works out at £160 each and £100 if we get 10..For what your getting...Well

We've got 2 defo's and 2 interested ..10's the limit right arthur?

If 6, or better 10 pass, we could pool our resources and start a company, or just do our own private displays :D

6 committed people, thats all we need...10 would be better though

Dean

#7 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:44 AM

HOLD ON!

This course provides and examines and certifies the knowledge right up to the level to be a display company. It does NOT provide all the wisdom that comes with years of experience. Forming a company simply because you went on the same course isn't necessarilly the best method of choosing co-directors. Anyway the UKPS show team is Richard's team.

BPA 1 & 2 are NOT available for independent firers, you have to be an employee (even a casual employee) of a BPA firm according to the BPA.

PASS this course -and he says it is not guaranteed! It is a real exam! Then you have evidence of competence to produce when trying for insurance and supplies.

The hard limit on numbers is 12 the minimum limit is ONE but at that it gets expensive! If you have cat4 fireworks then this course offers you the knowledge required to fire them safely and insurably. Having the certificate also tells the insurer that you are a better insurance risk and you get better prices! which on fireworks insurance has to be worth while!

Having the certificate, along with other certificates, also puts you on the light side of the dividing line, the police (etc) expect you to buy fireworks and have some confidence that you can use them wisely. Rather than being on the dark, unqualified, side where they may well notice you buying and wonder why and what for.

#8 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:32 AM

If 6, or better 10 pass, we could pool our resources and start a company, or just do our own private displays :D

Arthur, this was a hypothetical situation and do apologize, should have mentioned

BUT, with this certificate, it will give us a better chance of starting working for a company to gain experience ?..Thats all i want to do, is someday work for a company

Edited by portfire, 12 April 2008 - 09:49 AM.

#9 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:15 AM

No problem!

With the course one has the knowledge to use as a start to become competent with both knowledge and experience.

If I were to meet someone with whom there was mutual friendship and respect at a high level of skill and competence, then I WOULD consider discussing formal business BUT just doing the course together might not be sufficient.

If you want to work for a BPA company then for commitment shown by lugging boxes and digging holes they should offer to train you to L1 then L2 firer and employ you and provide employer's liability insurance, pay at or above minimum wage!

If you want to fire your own shows for profit or pleasure then this course is a minimum standard of knowledge for competence, safety and insurance, and the L1 and L2 courses come nowhere close.

#10 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:42 AM

Having the certificate, along with other certificates, also puts you on the light side of the dividing line, the police (etc) expect you to buy fireworks and have some confidence that you can use them wisely. Rather than being on the dark, unqualified, side where they may well notice you buying and wonder why and what for.

Isn't it simply illegal to buy and use cat 4 if you are not qualified?
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

NO!

Cat4 is available to people who satisfy the vendors that they are competent. SIGNS of competence include Training, experience, insurance, licensed storage to MSER, established business structure among other things, even past military experience.

Several people on here have the evident ability to get fireworks that appear to be cat4 without all the necessary competence.

This course gives the training element of competence and is a good sign of good intent if "found" with cat4 material.

Edited by Arthur Brown, 12 April 2008 - 06:43 PM.

#12 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

Personally I think this course is great, and it's prospects. I can't believe it's not generating much interest!

Have you been getting much response through mail arthur?

Edited by portfire, 12 April 2008 - 06:00 PM.

#13 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

Just to bump this topic, I'm certainly interested in the advanced course Arthur, if through numbers we can get the cost nearer £150 than £300.

Any other takers or news here?

#14 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:37 PM

Well you know where I stand BrightStar, but as you said if we can get the price around £150, the better.

I'm wanting to sell my beloved 1210's, this was going to partly fund the new workshop, but if we're looking at the £300 mark, then I'm quite willing for the money to go on the course

#15 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:02 PM

Sorry Im a little confused, What is the cost of the course if one person attends?

What is the duration of the course? and where is it beinging held?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users