• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#1 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:59 AM

The old thread must have gotten to old so I figured I'd start it up again. I'll kick it off with a few new ones feel free to kick in as you can!

3" ID whistle rocket with 21 pound dummy head, this one needed a bulkhead but now I know this motor can push a 12" shell

4" Red Go Getter, it decided it would rather be a mine

4" C-4 Glitter on hollow cores

3" Garbage Mine, just a bunch of leftover stars

2lb 70/30 whistle rocket with charcoal streamer comet to report part one of head to head strength test

2lb 76/23 whistle rocket with charcoal streamer to report part two of head to head strength test

The last two were exactly the same weight to the tenth of a gram component by component. The 76/23 was so much stronger that I am changing the fuel for the big rockets. It's hard to tell by the video but the 70/30 labored to achieve the inferior altitude that it did, it had a large arc almost from liftoff whereas the 76/23 actually went straight up and did so in a hurry by comparison. Surprisingly they had very similar burn durations.

Okay everyone, link 'em up!

#2 overflow

overflow

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:42 AM

The 4" C-4 Glitter on hollow cores is VERY beautiful!

#3 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:32 PM

not quite as exciting as rockets, but heres a few cut stars i'am working on at the moment testing stars

#4 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:19 AM

nice colours!

#5 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:38 AM

Good job! I like the Buell red and the green. The silver web would be nice in the air. I noticed some crackling, was there magnalium in a few of those stars or magnesium?

Girandola

4 1lb Ti Whistle angle drivers. No cores, pressed like inserts, no nozzles and no header. I'm going to use a more powerful whistle mix on the next one and put a header on it.

Edited by cplmac, 27 April 2008 - 06:05 AM.

#6 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

3" drippy glitter med Al

3" drippy glitter large Al

4" gold colum comet

4" matrix comet green twinkler

4" matrix comet white strobe

4" matrix comet dragon eggs

4" matrix comet C4 glitter

4" cylinder shell silver tailed reports

Busy night of testing. Pretty good night all in all.

#7 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:25 AM

yes they contain magnalium, the crackling wasn't intentional but its a bonus :D .

wow! you've been a busy man, the girandola had a beautiful long tail and great height, what did you use for the frame work, wooden cross stitch hoops, 10",12"?and where you able to find it after? :lol:

may i ask what the formula for the drippy gold is?

#8 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

Great Vids cplmac! Do you mind sharing the comp for cometGT? and how much lift did you use in the 3" garbage mine? seemed really high

#9 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:04 PM

Cool stuff Cpl. Mind sharing the composition used in the serpents and the 3" Drippy Medium Alu comet?

Keep up the good work.

#10 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:21 PM

The garbage mine used 1.25oz of Elephant 2FA for lift, I'm trying to figure out the formula for the green twinklers, my buddy made it and put his stars in my comet. They were more green in person but really beautiful. The drippy formula for the medium as best I can remember off the top of my head is :
KNO3 55
Airfloat C 9
80 mesh C 2
Al 325 atom 10
Sulfur 10
Barium Carb 6
Dex 5

#11 KarlosH

KarlosH

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:15 AM

Girandola is the best! Amazing sound. How many drivers had this mechanism?
Karlos.

#12 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

Girandola is the best! Amazing sound. How many drivers had this mechanism?
Karlos.

Thanks Karlos, it had 4 1lb whistle drivers.

#13 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:24 AM

The garbage mine used 1.25oz of Elephant 2FA for lift, I'm trying to figure out the formula for the green twinklers, my buddy made it and put his stars in my comet. They were more green in person but really beautiful. The drippy formula for the medium as best I can remember off the top of my head is :
KNO3 55
Airfloat C 9
80 mesh C 2
Al 325 atom 10
Sulfur 10
Barium Carb 6
Dex 5

Is that what is known as a matrix comet? Micro stars added to the comet? Would that not leave a trail of stars in the tail? How come the stars are at the nose of the comet? I sure is a beautiful effect The stars look silver to me though and very star shaped :rolleyes:

#14 cplmac

cplmac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:08 PM

Maxman I've been thinking about why the stars all came out late, best I can figure is that the core was to small and they were trapped until the core burned open some. It could also be that there just were not enough stars in the composition. I think that as the core burned out the surface area increased dramatically causing exponentially more stars to be ignited and allowing more stars to escape the core. The only way I can think of to fix this is to eliminate the core altogether and press the comet solid. This would greatly increase the burn time of the comet but it should even out the tail. I think more stars in the comp would help too.

#15 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:30 PM

From my experiments it would seem a good way to do matrix comets is to use a fairly fast burning matrix composition to "throw" the microstars out a good way. Seems to work well with Ti and so probably Al as well, I tried a mix that was basically good fast BP with just a little coarser charcoal added.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users