56 replies to this topic

#1 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:42 AM

It seems that from reading some posts this society is pretty low key. What if the society issues what its about, its goals and future plans in newspapers, radio or maybe in time on TV telling the public what this society is about and also to try and get more members to join us? this way we are more open and also may get more members joining which will mean more funding for future plans. This is probably a stupid idea or may have all ready been done but just thought I would throw the idea out into the open for discussion.

All in all advertisement is what gets things going and on the ball as once we have advertisement we should get more people joining from word of mouth.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#2 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

I think we have to ask an honest question- just how popular are pyrotechnics? I'd say that to the vast majority of the UK public fireworks are a seasonal thing, something you buy to use, but most people wouldn't consider joining an enthusiasts society about them. Secondly the Pyro Society largely caters for a sub-genre within the pyrotechnics hobby, for those whoes interest is soley in buying consumer fireworks there is the UKFR already established.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#3 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:57 AM

Pyrotechnist. I agree entirely!

We would have to be careful how we promote the society, as the public perception of fireworks is informed by sensationalist rubbish from the press and is therefore pretty low. However, apparently if an advertiser puts pictures/film of fireworks in their adverts their sales go up - people like fireworks, but are apt to believe the nonsense they are told. We should be educating them.

So back to the point. After over 2 years of building and consolidation, it must be time to raise the profile.

What could we do?

1) Put on (or at least associate ourselves with) public shows, invite the public to see how safe, sane and artistic we are. (The show at the convention was brilliant but only a few of us plus the Rocket Men saw it).

2) Try to get some (positive) press coverage.

3) UKPS T-shirts and other promotional goods.

I know of a least one member who is familiar with this kind of thing as part of his job.

What else - any suggestions?

PS 2 years? Just noticed I joined in March 2003! Time for action I think.

Edited by phildunford, 25 July 2008 - 10:00 AM.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#4 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

Exactly, this will then push the society even further and bring us out into the public eye as a safe society for anyone who likes putting on firework displays or building fireworks. It may also get us more support from pre-existing companies, sponsorship to support current and future goals. T-Shirts and firework displays are a great idea phill and would also get the society some more money other than membership fees. Here are a few more ideas:

1) Caps holding the UKPS logo or firework designs maybe?

2) Safety helmets and cloths for display firers holding the UKPS logo.

3) Could firework seminars not be held for non-paying members to promote the society so that they can join and help out?

#5 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

The suggestion (by pyrotechnist) to promote the society via advertising is a good one, personally I would try and profile our members forum first, and then start to consider advertising in other hobby clubs magazines with the aim to gain more revenue/ membership to our society.

How about model aircraft flying clubs?........these people may want to join our society as a second hobby/interest!

Possible others are:-

Model Boat clubs!

Train & bus enthusiasts!

Steam Locomotive mags!

How about chemistry students via college mags!

Vintage car enthusiasts!

Vintage motorbike enthusiasts!

How about promoting ourselves at Craft fairs?

#6 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

T-shirts and hard hat badges would indeed be great - maybe for an extra £5-10 on membership renewal.

There are also some basics to look out for - members do really appreciate a print copy of the society magasine through the post from time to time for example... It doesn't cost much and makes our far flung subscribers feel valued!

It might be possible to make use of our invitations to various fireworks events. Although its a bit late to organise anything for Combermere Abbey, if we could set up a display stand explaining the work of the society we might attract some interest. The uninitiated public are fascinated by the idea of making fireworks. On top of a poster display we could show a few videos, make some inert training shells and rockets to play with, maybe demo a computer firing system. Free stickers could be given to the kids etc. etc.

I suggested at the AGM that the (already very busy) committee could delegate repsonsibilty for these kind of small projects to sub groups of members. Maybe it's time to explore this further.

Now, if we could just get cooperman's Miss England friends to hand out leaflets for us... B)

Edited by BrightStar, 25 July 2008 - 06:03 PM.

#7 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:06 PM

I'd buy a t-shirt if they were available. I'm across the pond, so I doubt I'll ever join as I can't partake in anything anyway.

#8 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:16 PM

Id buy a T-Shirt, Cap or whatever could be brought out and hoping to soon get a membership when I have more money (dam driving lessons :().

#9 Shake

Shake

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:23 PM

I'd love to get a T-shirt and being in Bonny's situation also.....Hey, maybe we need to start the first international subsidiary of UKPS...CANPS?
Fireworks are paint brushes for the night sky...with a few bloody huge BOOMS thrown in for good measure!

#10 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:56 PM

I would be willing to look into the T-shirt thing if the committee cared to delegate it to me. If not I'll be printing one for myself anyway!

Brightstar - Yes we do need a printed copy of Spark. I'm a member of several similar organisations and the printed magazine is their life-blood.

I'm just looking at the excellent JANUARY issue of spark (received electronically) which says it will be dropping though my door soon - 7 months is not my idea of soon!

Again if the committee is too busy, send me the copy and the mailing list and I'll print it and post it...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:52 AM

There is a fine line to be found between getting more members and getting better members. There is also a need to ensure that nothing causes public opinion to express negative thoughts about fireworks.

This forum's membership is of wide age and interest range, not everyone wants to jump all the hoops to legal manufacture and classification,

If any "Publication" ever advised people how to make ..... at home it would be very very unwise. The current level of jumping through hoops does deter some would-be bang makers and that has to be a good thing. I love fireworks, BUT I'd be very unhappy if either of my neighbours was milling compound for M80s in their kitchen! I live in a terrace of town houses and there isn't space for a factory.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#12 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

Though what about the merchandise idea? it would bring the society at least a bit more money allowing it to do more. I know we have advertised in Fireworks magazine but with the right wording and type of advertisement we can still do it more public wise. I am merely trying to think of new ways this society can get more (good and educated) members and also more money and reputation. It does seem if some nice T-Shirts, Hats etc etc were made people from abroad would also buy these items which is great and most people do them these days to promote them selfs and to gain a little extra profit.

#13 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

Though what about the merchandise idea?....It does seem if some nice T-Shirts, Hats etc etc were made people from abroad would also buy these items which is great and most people do them these days to promote them selfs and to gain a little extra profit.

I personnally feel the best way to promote the society would be to have a presence, a stall, a tent, or just leaflets at firework events- demo nights and the like. These could sell t shirts, caps, badge - anything really.

Edited by David, 26 July 2008 - 09:24 AM.

#14 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:31 AM

I still believe selling online is a good way as most do it and it works for them so why not us.

#15 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

I still believe selling online is a good way as most do it and it works for them so why not us.

I don't mean this in a rude way, of course, but would there really be a market large enough to make it viable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users