Photo

what do you use for the centre of stars?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 pyroduck7

pyroduck7

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:28 AM

im thinking of mustard seeds, plastic ball-beraings, or the silver cake deccrations, there small abbout 3mm round, and crunchy, because there practuallly only shuger thay will burn up, as will the mustard seeds and bb's will burn up. there all also reasonbly cheap.

ANY comments will help - many thanks in advance!

#2 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:39 AM

im thinking of mustard seeds, plastic ball-beraings, or the silver cake deccrations, there small abbout 3mm round, and crunchy, because there practuallly only shuger thay will burn up, as will the mustard seeds and bb's will burn up. there all also reasonbly cheap.

ANY comments will help - many thanks in advance!

Plenty of Info about this, search and yeeeee shall find, :) but, if your lazy, mustard seeds, Millet seeds or lead shot can be used for the 'Core' of the rolled star. Lead shot is easier if your hand rolling your stars, due to It's density, and less likely to start "clumping". As I said search the forum, there's a thread on rolling stars
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#3 KarlosH

KarlosH

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:29 AM

Rape seeds, mustard seeds. Ecological, cheap, perfect, useful.
http://www.ichikawa-.../tukurikata.htm
Karlos.

#4 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:33 AM

Tapioca (pearls) from the supermarket.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#5 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:02 PM

Most stars should roll without cores!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#6 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

Most stars should roll without cores!

Stars need a core, weather this be small cut stars, then the comp rolled over them, or a inert material. Yes! you can roll core-less stars, but these are mostly small and only really used in small inserts..
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#7 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

Stars need a core, weather this be small cut stars, then the comp rolled over them, or a inert material. Yes! you can roll core-less stars, but these are mostly small and only really used in small inserts..

I agree rolling stars up without cores of some type no matter how small is nigh on impossible.
Phew that was close.

#8 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

On the tour of a licensed factory, they were rolling stars without cores to 15mm. some in different layers.

Huge great contraption though! Makes Paddy's cement mixer look inadequate. All stainless, spark proof and remote controlled from outside.

#9 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:09 PM

If you have the technology to roll core less stars great, but why make life more difficult by not using cores when we know how much easier life can be doing so?

#10 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

I'm not sure if this is what Arthur is referring to, but many factories and some amateurs rice some damp star comp through a very coarse screen onto the star roller where the grains form fairly nice cores made from only star mix, therefore "coreless".

I have my doubts as to the core destroying powers of stars extending to vaporizing lead, sure the flame it hot enough, but the short exposure? Think of a candle flame, it is hot enough to burn skin but everyone used to slip their fingers through it quickly as a kid. If someone can pull up some hard evidence saying that the lead does vaporize or burn as star cores then I will reconsider my stance.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#11 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:58 PM

I'm not sure if this is what Arthur is referring to, but many factories and some amateurs rice some damp star comp through a very coarse screen onto the star roller where the grains form fairly nice cores made from only star mix, therefore "coreless".

Yep I have rolled stars over a riced star mix. I did not consider them to be coreless as I had rolled them round a core of sorts, but if that is the definition of "coreless" then I take it back they are as easy to do as using cores.
Phew that was close.

#12 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:44 AM

Well, riced seems a good idea, but it's not as I saw. The huge stainless drum rotated with a small shovel full of powder. As the powder and drum wall was misted from a garden sprayer small grains formed and these were fed by shovelling powder and keeping the growing stars slightly damp.

While lead may start to roll easily there really is no reason to drop the remainder from 200ft onto people and the shoot site.

#13 pyroduck7

pyroduck7

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:46 AM

hmm yes, well i bought a wok, and some small shuger balls yestorday (the shuger balls where 10p for abbout 100 and thay rolll well, i just havent got the knack of rolling yet because i cant move the wok and spray the water at the same time with different hands ahaha

but il get there , i suggest that you should try the shuger balls , heres a link to what thay look like

http://www.supercook...ilver-Balls.jpg

#14 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

Pyroduck7 that's an expensive way of doing it and sugar is hygroscopic so you may find moisture is locked into the centre of your stars so the middle stays wet when the outer part dries.

Tapioca, Millet, Rice Hulls, Grass Seed, they have all been used with success, they are very cheap too.

Go to the supermarket and buy a bag of tapioca pearls (should be near the pudding rice etc) for less than £2.00.

They look like this.

http://www.latartine.../11/tapioca.jpg

Sugar is likely to give you problems IMHO.

Edited by Mortartube, 12 August 2008 - 10:12 AM.

#15 pyroduck7

pyroduck7

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:37 PM

thanks il try that out! but anouther problem im haveing is that when im rolling thay are not round there like willy wonker everlasting gobstoppers! there all bumpy and stuff. it might be because on the side of my wok there are tiny dimples

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users