21 replies to this topic

#1 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:58 PM

I was quite suprised to see an advert in the Preston Reporter Newspaper before advertising Big D Homestores stocking fireworks this year, all Bright Star stuff.

Now Big D's is in the old Tradex building next to the bus station, Tradex closed I think it was the end of 2005, but every year used to stock a pretty big range of Bright Star stuff, and at decent prices, I still have their 2004 & 2005 leaflets, and they had extensive ranges.

Big D's moved into the old building in 2006 and I think they were stocking fireworks last year, mainly Bright Star, they aren't a supermarket, more of a Marks & Spencers type shop, but smaller and a lot cheaper stocking clothing, home stuff, garden stuff, food, everything really!

Not sure if the advert is all they are stocking but it's all half the RRP, here is a picture...

Posted Image

Imperial Box - £49.99.

Party Box - £19.99.

Carnival Box - £19.99.

Guy Fawkes Box - £9.99

Family Box - £4.99.

Apocalypse Barrage Pack - £29.99

Atomizer Candles - £74p.

Stealth Command Candles - £1.99.

Calypso Pearls Candles - £2.49.

I will check if there is anything else when I go in the store, I think the Family Box should sort me for fountains and maybe a couple of packs of Atomizers for fun. :)

Edited by Prestonboi, 16 October 2008 - 01:59 PM.

#2 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

I would have sworn that Tradex was just an abandoned shop- I've been past there a few times, and never noticed any signs for a new business! Tradex was a bit rubbish, really. Sort of a bit like JTF.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#3 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:04 PM

I've just noticed too- Carnival Selection box RRP £19.99 HALF PRICE £14.99.

NO!

I assume thats its a typo, but its the third one I've spotted. I assume they would honour their "everything half price" offer and sell it £9.98 .

#4 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

Nope it's been Big D's since 2005. B)

I remember we used to go their every year for about 4 years and then couldn't in 2006 because it wasn't there.

Tradex was a bit rubbish, really.

I don't think it was, they had a decent range at good prices, much better than supermarket stuff. But yeah quite like JTF.

We had some good stuff from there over the years. :)

I would say theres a few typos on there, including the Atomizer's, 'per box'. :lol:

Edited by Prestonboi, 16 October 2008 - 02:20 PM.

#5 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:14 PM

"per box" is an easy enough mistkae- they come in pack, but in the past smaller fireworks did come in boxes. However, something as blatant as £19.99 Half Price to £14.99 is remarkable. Suggests it is very rushed.

#6 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:28 PM

this could have actually been the typesetter at the newspaper and not the supplier (wouldnt be the first time)

#7 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:50 PM

Well I went in on Tuesday and was presentley suprised with what I saw! A pretty large range of Bright Star stuff all at half the RRP!

They were very low on stock when I went as they had been 'selling like hot cakes' and most of the stuff was sold out, I was told to ring back in a week or so and to see if the new stock has arrived then, which they think it will have.

Another advert in the Preston Reporter this evening...

Posted Image

Excuse quality, taken on phone. There is a lot more stuff in the store than on the adverts.

Will be going back to buy some stuff when they get more stock in.

I will let you know when I find out about more stock.

#8 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

Picked up a leaflet yesterday for Big D's fireworks, all Bright Star stuff at half the RRP.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry about quality taken on phone. If you want better quality please ask. :)

According to the leaflet they have stores in Preston, Lichfield and Cannock. As far as I know Preston store still haven't got more stock in, I would expect them any day now.

Edited by Prestonboi, 28 October 2008 - 12:31 PM.

#9 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

Sorry to double post, Big D's now have stock in, I went in before but Imperial and Stinger are sold out from what I could see.

#10 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

Razor Rage looks a bit different! Humm, not asnwering their 'phones though, that doesn't fill me with confidence.

Edited by David, 29 October 2008 - 11:44 AM.

#11 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:20 PM

Went the today... Well, they do have half price Bright Star (although some RRPs are higher - eg their le er is £8.99 RRP, Fireworks International do it for £6.99)

Welllllllllll

Got there and asked what they had in stock. I was told they still have everything in stock that is in the cabinets, but some lines (away at the side of the counter) were sold out. He didn;t think they had Razor Rage. So far so good. So I gave them my order, and he went off to get the pyro- 7 items in all. I was waiting for about 15 minutes, when he came back with 2 of them- all the others were actually sold out (despite the fact that they had told me they were in stock.) Then he went off again to get a key to open the sparkler cupboard.

So, decent enough price, but it is rather annoying not knowing what they have in stock. I doubt I'll go again.

What I got was a Battle of Midway fanned thing, and a missle cake , 16 shots-basically just tubes with plastic tops.

Edit- does this forum censor the word % ?" I'm typing this from a ing gym, so that could be their censoring.
Edit edit- it does, yeah- its a c... r.ackle... c...!racker... The word they don't like is c.......>r,,,ack

Edited by David, 29 October 2008 - 02:23 PM.

#12 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:24 PM

Does your Battle Of Midway have a big empy looking hole in the middle?

It looks the same size and price as Time Warp to me and that does.

I was going to get that missile volley, didn't know if it was worth it though.

#13 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:28 PM

Nope, its fanned tubes all the way- looks pretty decent for £10! The missle thing I got (I forget the name) is a 16 shotter, it looked OK- 50p a shot isn't bad.

#14 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:35 PM

Damn it! Looks like I bought a Lemon, it better had be good. :angry:

I might get Battle Of Midway as back up when I go back incase Time Warp turns out to be awful on the night!

Also tempted by the missile volley, might go for it.

#15 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:53 PM

I've looked at the back of a couple of Proton Bombs I have (the multi shot version) - and it says 6. So yeah, I assume that is indeed the year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users