#1 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hey,

I have plenty of sparklers this year and wondered if it was possible to use them as lighters or portfires?

Is it safe, if so how quick will it light the firework?

Tapers take to long and I was thinking of holding like 2 sparklers (one in each hand) to volley fire 6 or 7 rockets, and them give 1 to one of the guests, they look much more attractive than tapers anyway!

I have used sparklers to light sparklers before.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

#2 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

Well you can..... but probably not the best idea.

Consider this:

Rocket fuse leads directly up to the motor which burns pretty fast and hot. You wave a sparkler round directly beneath this and some sparks jump up there, it lights and burns your hand arm, shouder etc etc.... also with fountains etc etc not a good idea.

For the sake of a pound get a portfire. Or a few depending on how many you have to light.

#3 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:25 PM

Well you can..... but probably not the best idea.

Consider this:

Rocket fuse leads directly up to the motor which burns pretty fast and hot. You wave a sparkler round directly beneath this and some sparks jump up there, it lights and burns your hand arm, shouder etc etc.... also with fountains etc etc not a good idea.

For the sake of a pound get a portfire. Or a few depending on how many you have to light.

Thanks for the advice. :)

I will now NOT be using sparklers as lighters lol.

#4 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:28 PM

Yeah- use a lighter, if you prefere that to portfire. Some are windproff and burn with a blue flame, they are decent quality.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#5 Daedalus

Daedalus

Me, I only do Cat. 3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:59 PM

Yeah- use a lighter, if you prefere that to portfire. Some are windproff and burn with a blue flame, they are decent quality.

Well, if by lighter you mean a cigarette lighter then not really a good idea as your hand is right underthe rocket and the flame is going up the fuse - far too easy to get burnt by it and not particularly fast either. I have used the long BBQ gas lighters before and they blow out and are not particularly fast either but at least they are the same length as a new portfire. Worth having one as a standby for lighting portfires or a fountain where you don't want to waste half a portfire whilst a fountain burns. Your best bet really is to get some portfires - remember they only last about 3 minutes so get twice as many as you think you will need - It is very embarassing to get to the finale just as your last portfire dies (been there on a large display and it is BAD).

#6 spanner

spanner

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:54 PM

Well, if by lighter you mean a cigarette lighter then not really a good idea as your hand is right underthe rocket and the flame is going up the fuse - far too easy to get burnt by it and not particularly fast either.

Sounds like a case of too short of a fuse rather than a lighter problem, IMHO. But if they're consumer 'works and that's what it came with, it's a pain to add more fuse to it.

The "get twice as many as you think you will need" advice for the portfires is right on! Nothing worse than running out before the finale.

Edited by spanner, 02 November 2008 - 09:12 PM.

#7 SamCT

SamCT

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:09 PM

its a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question. but...

how many portfires do you think i need?

i have about the same amount as Jindivik has here: http://www.pyrosocie.......=4218&st=45

but also friends and family will be bringing some fireworks along...

thanks in advance

#8 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:27 PM

I was bored, so I just let a Bazooka Bomb (Whistle n Bang) Rocket off, with a lighter, it went ok but I have nearly burnt my finger before doing that, so wont be doing it on Bonfire Night.

I will be getting some portfires this week, as I want to volley fire a few rockets, and a few cakes set off at the same time.

However I do have that problem of after they have lit, your stuck with a burning portfire for 1 firework at a time, oh well.

SamCT, it depends how many fireworks you want to set off at once, if it's just 1 at a time, your ok with a taper.

#9 spanner

spanner

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:32 PM

I've had good results using the large punk sticks. You can substitute incense sticks for punk if needed, but it costs more.

#10 SamCT

SamCT

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

However I do have that problem of after they have lit, your stuck with a burning portfire for 1 firework at a time, oh well.

thats the same problem i have...

has anyone used the 'safety lighters' by cosmic?

http://www.cosmicfir...s...&brand_id=2

managed to get some free... the woman on the till insisted they were portfires, i opened them to check, they're not, but didnt say no... they were free! :)

Edited by SamCT, 02 November 2008 - 09:45 PM.

#11 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:48 PM

http://www.cosmicfir...s...&brand_id=2

managed to get some free... the woman on the till insisted they were portfires, i opened them to check, they're not, but didnt say no... they were free! :)

They look like tapers/firework lighters, I have a pack of Bright Star ones, they are good and very long lasting but can take a while to light the fireworks sometimes! I paid 99p for my pack of 5. :ph34r:

I need a few portfires lol.

#12 SamCT

SamCT

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

my local firework shop (the usual sort that opens around this time and then disappears until next year)

have said they will do me 15 portfires for a tenner.

is that good?

#13 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:27 PM

my local firework shop (the usual sort that opens around this time and then disappears until next year)

is that good?

Hmmmm, I'm not really sure but others will know.

I got mine in a pack from Epic last year so have never bought them singly, I only need about 3, rest of the stuff I can use tapers! :)

Edited by Prestonboi, 02 November 2008 - 10:28 PM.

#14 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:02 PM

is that good?

No, it's a rip off. Portfires usually come in packs of 5 which sell for around £2-£2.50 each.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#15 Skyburst

Skyburst

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:37 PM

15 portfires for £10 is daylight robbery, as David has said, the common price is around £2.50 for 5. If you're buying from a year round firework store for example, they will usually give you a few portfires free with your fireworks.
Currently firing for Skyburst - The Firework Co.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users