• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:58 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It's amazing what you find on ebay... I couldn't resist buying these tiny 1/12 scale dummy replicas of Standard and Pains fireworks. They are intended for a doll's house; here is a link to the seller's shop:

http://shop.ebay.co....erchant/tyne759

Has anyone managed to create small working fireworks? I'd love to see a nano-fountain, roman candle, etc. I did a search and came across an article on visco powered rockets:

http://www.skylighte...fuse-rocket.asp
The flame that burns half as long burns twice as bright...

#2 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:16 PM

This has inspired me to make such tiny fireworks but working versions :> for Christmas. Thank you for them images mate.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#3 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:44 PM

Yes I saw these on ebay too, Im glad a forum member has bought them,........they would look great displayed in a glass case at a UKPS exhibition stand (hint hint).

#4 michaelli66

michaelli66

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:41 AM

never see that , where is made that ?
FIREWORKS SUPPLIER
FIREWORKS NEWS,PICTURE,VIDEO
YOUTUBE VIDEO
www.facebook.com/fireworks.supplier

#5 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

thats amazing.

only thing ive ever seen that small is a microgram cracker !

I'd LOVE to see working versions....even if theyre very very simple !

#6 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

I will make some micro fountains for Christmas :> I just need to optimize my formulas.

#7 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:50 PM

GREAT ! PLEASE PLEASE get good video's of them.......Even better if you got some lego men or something that look about the right size comared to the fire work.............

#8 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:17 AM

Tubes have been made ready, they are half the height of your small finger nail. It is going to be hard putting a choke in these but I want to do everything right so I will put one in somehow :).

#9 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:36 AM

What kind of ID have the tubes got ???? cocktail stick size??? That would make a good former !

I presume you are taking photo's at each step....this should be a project type topic !

#10 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

Yes will take pictures, the tubes ID is around 1 - 1 1/2 mm or the size of an ear bud stick (I used one for the former). The tube wall is 2 mm thick and the height is 1cm so pretty small, anything smaller will be to hard to make into any device. I also hope to make a choke for this fountain instead of going the easy root and keeping an open end using a choke mostly likely the size of a drawing pin.

For this project to work I am going to have to seriously optimize my BP and fountain mix to leave no slag which may block such a small choke causing a mini CATO or burn through.

#11 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:15 PM

You might do better with a pulled in choke rather than trying any other type. Using a sewing pin for instance to close the tube around.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#12 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:49 PM

Ahh yes didn't think about crimping will do that instead or if that fails make it smaller in one way shape or form. The idea is to make the fountain produce a reasonable flame envelope and a nice burning duration. I do have a blue formula that burns for at least a minute within a 2 cm by 1cm ID tube when consolidated.

#13 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:48 PM

You might be able to use something like chemical metal then drill it out with a Dremel before filling. Just tape over the end after for filling. That should give a strong and repeatable choke size.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#14 patrickescotland

patrickescotland

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:22 PM

I had a few pieces of flying fish/visco lying around, so here is my first attempt at micro-rockets. Movie link below:

http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=fKXd6Wmtx6c

The first rocket was constructed with 7 x 1cm pieces of Chinese paper-fuse, rolled up in a 1cm x 50mm long sticky strip of a post it note (I expect masking tape would work fine here). One of the pieces of paper fuse was cut longer to provide the ignition. The outer decorative paper was a geometric "star" pattern copied from old Chinese paper, and printed on laserjet. (I have templates of this if anyone would find useful). The engine was sellotaped to a stick, made from a bamboo kebab skewer. The fibrous nature of bamboo means a single skewer can be split into several very thin, straight and lightweight sticks.

The little rockets reach an altitude of ~1 metre! There was also a single star payload on the first one, which worked ok, but was still burning when it fell to the ground. Perhaps a micro-titanium salute would be better? The second and third launches are the same design but the propellant is a single 1cm piece of silver "flying fish" visco. It gives an inpressive amount of thrust and a prety trail of sparks!

The third launch was filmed indoors using the high speed function of a HD camera at 60 frames per second. As a professional scientist and part-time film producer I have access to some ultra high speed cameras so I hope to make more movies in future. I will be thinking about designs for a micro-mine-of-serpents and micro-catherine wheels (coiled visco alone might work for wheels).

I am looking forward to seeing those micro-fountains, thanks for all your input on this topic and take care!

Edited by patrickescotland, 15 November 2008 - 07:24 PM.

The flame that burns half as long burns twice as bright...

#15 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:19 PM

Nice little rockets you have there :). I will start my fountain tomorrow and hopefully set it off. I think roman candles, mines and mini cakes are next on the agenda though will be much harder. The mines, cakes and candles can simply use micro stars etc but will require thin fuses and small thin walled tubes being a pain to make but fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users