2 replies to this topic

#1 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

Found this on through youtube, some great videos and you get a chemistry lesson on each one.

http://www.periodicvideos.com/

Check out Sulfur!!! Is it possible to create that blue with S as the colorant??
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#2 bigtonyicu

bigtonyicu

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

Check out Sulfur!!! Is it possible to create that blue with S as the colorant??

Only if you could supply the star with only oxygen, it's the same Idea as burning Ethyl Alcohol, they would both make Amazing blues but as soon as you use solid oxidizer you start adding a bunch of other by product that each emit a different wave length and will normally over power that blue (I said normally because there might be a way of getting around it but I HIGHLY doubt it). If only we lived in a world with no gravity and close to absolute zero we could make some amazing Fireworks SOx (solid oxygen) would be a great thing to make amazing colours (Solid Ozone would be even BETTER )... ok there goes my daily limit on dreaming of the impossible.

#3 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:29 AM

This is why we use compounds which minimize the amount of other compoudns present.

Barium Chlorate, for instance, would be a better color emitter than say, barium nitrate and potassium chlorate together.

Sulfur does burn a pretty deep blue, but it's hard to get it to remain lit without enhacing the burn rate and causing there to be too much light output. Coupled with other chemicals which interfere with the burning, you're not looking at an easy task. It's not *impossible*.

Edited by MDH, 11 December 2008 - 02:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users